Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-13-2007, 08:50 PM   #21

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Pam

First congrats on your nice new TT.

Second, I feel for you and your frustration, especially on a brand new camper. I had a very similar first tow home experience, but on a different area. In your case of frustration it sounds like you have something mechanical not right in the door lock/ door jam etc.

In my case it was the TT ball coupler. We picked up our TT up out of state, 450 miles north from here, and it was in late November in southern MI. We left the dealer all smiles, excited and nervous all at the same time. We planned to camp in Northern Ohio that night as it was already 5:00PM and still 300 plus miles from home. It was slightly raining, cold and getting dark fast when we pulled in the State Park campground. No one there but us.

I backed it in the site perfect the first time as towing trailers is not new to me. TV and TT where on a slight angle to each other. Well all was good until I tried to unlatch the ball coupler from the truck. After 30 minutes trying to get the thing to unlock, jerking the truck to take the pressure off, DW asking what about dinner…. the frustration was getting high. Why won’t this thing unlatch? Well after another 20 minutes some how I got it unhooked. I pryed up so hard, I had to stop before I was going to break something. Still nothing. Here a brand new TT and I cannot even get the thing off the truck.

Next morning we hooked up and left for home. Getting it on was no problem. Then we where so thrilled we camped again the 2nd night at another local state park 30 minutes from home. Again I cannot get this thing unhooked…. This is stupid, I’m thinking to myself. Again some how I got it off the truck and next day we came home.

Then in my yard at home I unhooked some how again and I crawled under the ball coupler to figure this thing out. Man oh Pete. This darn coupler latch slides straight back, it does not lift up. That little lift tab on top is for decoration. Never seen one like this before. Now I unhook with 1 finger and slide it straight back once the weight off and the safety pin is out.

Your issue is different but your going to have to get into the lock mechanism, door latch/jam and figure this thing out. I know I do not have to tell you this....

There is something on these dead bolts as last week we where on vacation with the camper. DW get’s up and leaves the camper to go into her mom’s cottage. She locks the dead bolt behind her as I’m still sleeping. Later I get up and go to the door and now I cannot flip the dead bolt latch open from inside. I’m locked inside. The dead bolt slide will not move at all. This is not good, what is I have a fire??? Well on my camper I have 2 doors, I just went out the bedroom door. And then went outside with the key and wamo, the lock opens??? I cannot get it to reproduce the jam.

Tell DW and she said she did not turn the key up like normal she just flipped it over and pulled the key out. So a few more days go by no problem, but then, it happens again. I’m locked in a 2nd time…. And this time the key slot was up like normal.

I have not figured out yet was caused this as I can go out side and unlocked it. But the bead bolt shaft on the inside will not turn, period when what ever conditions set's this thing up like this.

So, if you or I figure this out, please post some pics of what we found. My camper is only a 2004. If I figure it out first, I’ll post back as well.

Good luck on your camping trip.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:07 PM   #22

SUN #114
pamwinn
I'll do that John. It's all back together and working fine. I am beginning to wonder though if it isn't the entire door that has a problem. It just doesn't feel right when you close it. On our 1950, you can blow on the door to close it. It's flawless. This one has to be pushed a little. We moved the strike plate out as far as possible. I don't know any dealer around here I'd trust with that door though. If I figure out what is going on, I'll let you know. We won't be experimenting on this trip though. We are looking for some hassle free down time.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:31 PM   #23

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamwinn
We are looking for some hassle free down time.
I've tried to get some of that lately, but somehow it ends up not hassle free! I have a good eye for finding something wrong .

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:29 PM   #24

SUN #225
Mark
Here is a challenge for all you Sunline owners:

-Get a partner, and the keys for your rear doors.
-One gets on the inside, and one gets on the outside.
1) Lock the door with the keys from the outside, have the "insider" try to get out.
2)Now have the insider lock the door from the inside, then you unlock from the outside and try to get into the trailer
3) Repeat tests in any order......

I bet in one of your tests, the "insider" will be unable to get out. We tried it last week in NY after reading this thread.

2002 Chevy Silverado
2003 Sunline 2553
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:57 AM   #25

SUN #328
bugbite
Dumb question mine

Hi Sunline Family,

Just popped in. Following this thread.
Hi to my buddies that have been so kind to me.

I have a not in the family question... do yall have 2 different keyed keys? One for the front and a different one for the back?

Puzzled.

BB
Cool Runnings Silent and Swift
bugbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:58 AM   #26

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
BB

Yes - 2 doors, 2 different keys (at least for the models that have 2 doors )

Check this topic out for more discussion on this subject.
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/ph...opic.php?t=588

Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:39 AM   #27

SUN #328
bugbite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTHutch
BB

Yes - 2 doors, 2 different keys (at least for the models that have 2 doors )

Hutch
Read the thread. How odd. I guess Sunline just ordered a buncha doors and took them off a pile somewhere helter skelter. Never thot about that before.

Is that why Jon alluded to earlier he lived in a Sunline? (Trailer room and door in a house).

That is a hoot Jon! You are addicted I rekkin! Have to admit the door looks rather novel and cool.

Bet you're the only kid on the block w/ a Sunline door for a room.

Cool Runnings Silent and Swift
bugbite is offline   Reply With Quote