Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #1

SUN #3340
Eyebot is an unknown quantity at this point
general maintenance questions

I am very very new to campers. I just bought my very first 1978 15ft Sunline and had a few general maintenance questions about it that I hope I can get help with, here it goes:
- There is a sort trap in the outside under where the stove sits. For what I understand that's the water tank. Are these usually connected to the toilet as well to provide flushing water?
- The camper has a built in toilet, there is the pipe to empty what I assume is the grey water tank. How do you go about operating and maintaining that? do you just let it fill up, then dump it out with that pipe that stores in the back bumper? How do you clean it after and is there any other steps involved before during and after use?

Sorry if these sound like obvious questions but as I said I have no idea what I'm doing and am very green in this, ha!
Thanks!

Old 02-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
My old Prowler had a water tank gravity fill, that looked something like this:

You would pull out the trough and run water into it to fill the on-board fresh water tank. Your camper should have a 20 gallon fresh water tank. Do you know exactly which model camper you have?

Anyway, depending on the model, you should have a 12v water pump that draws off that tank. It supplies water to the toilet and faucet(s). You should also have a female garden hose fitting on the outside of the camper somewhere. That allows you to use a RV water hose, to supply fresh water. When you use the hose, you do not need to use the pump.

The waste dump should go to at least two tanks. A gray water tank and the black water (Toilet) tank. You basically let them get as full as you are comfortable with, then dump them at a dump station. Always dump the gray tank after you dump the black tank. That will help you flush any solids in the valve/hose.

Also... Always make sure you use enough water, when you flush the toilet... A lot of people don't use enough and end up with a "Black pyramid" in their tank... That's something you DO NOT want....

Please let us know exactly which model your Sunline is and we can help you a lot easier....

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Here are some of the specs for the 1978 Sunline travel trailers... From this, you can see that several things were options, on the 15RC and came standard on the 15SC..

That's why knowing your exact model number would be helpful...

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Here is a nice site for you good stuff here about your plumbing system. Water, Water, Everywhere!