Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #1

SUN #2427
JTurner is an unknown quantity at this point
Front Window Leak Repair

Last summer, we noticed a small wet spot on the paneling next to the front window, in the lower corner. So we caulked around the window to stop the leak and had plans to remove the window and re-seal it this spring, but my son's wedding took precedence over camper repairs, so it was put off.

Bad mistake. The tarp we put over it must have either blown around or had a hole in it. We had no time to even look at the camper until after the wedding in June, and by that time the whole wall next to and below the left side of the window was soaking wet and spongy.

We removed the paneling, the wood beneath and on the side of the window is totally rotten needs to be replaced. At least it didn't work its way further down the wall or into the flooring, and thank goodness it wasn't a roof leak. You can definitely tell the water was coming from the side of the window, or perhaps from where the rock guard bracket was mounted.

I am most upset about losing the paneling. I tried to keep my Sunny in original condition. There are pieces of the original paneling stored under the bunk beds, but they are too short to span the whole distance of the front wall. We found some similar colored paneling at Home Depot so hopefully it won't be too noticeable.

Removing the window was pretty easy, thanks to advice from others on these forums. We have torn out the whole front wall and will be replacing a lot of the studs down to the floor just to be on the safe side. The insulation has some black discoloration on it, it does not look like mold, just black color where it was up against the black rotten wood. Do we need to replace it?

Will post more pictures of our repair as we proceed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg no window.jpg (74.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg rotting wood.jpg (62.6 KB, 21 views)

JTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #2

SUN #2427
Well, it's not as bad as we thought. Just the corner of the window was rotten. We are replacing the whole window frame anyway. The bottom board was actually broken from the rot. We noticed that when you pushed on the outside of the camper in that area the wall would move a lot. Now we know why. It looks like this was an old leak that re-emerged.

Does anyone know why there are wires in the wall that don't go anywhere? There is a black one and a white one, they were just looped around behind the electrical outlet, but they are not attached to it. You can see them in the picture. They go up into the wall towards the roof.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg no paneling.jpg (67.0 KB, 17 views)

Old 07-13-2014, 05:09 PM   #3

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
May have been for a jack light. They are standard lighting wires.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #4

SUN #2427
Finally, the wall is finished. The new paneling looks pretty good, the color is a good match but the new piece has lines in it. Once I get the curtains back up and the table mounted, you won't see much of the wood anyway. The hardest part was getting the new piece of paneling in, and behind the side walls. We did not want to piece the paneling, we wanted one continuous piece. We did not remove the bench seats so we kinda had to bend the paneling to get it in. It was not easy and involved much cursing.

Just need to put in a few pieces of new screw cover trim on the front window and she will be ready. We have a whole week of camping scheduled in August and we are sure looking forward to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camper wall 2.jpg (77.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg camper wall 1.jpg (54.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-21-2014, 04:15 AM   #5

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
I just noticed that little block of wood hanging in the middle of your picture for the 110AC outlet. When I tore our front end apart I actually removed mine. That's probably one modification I made that I forgot about.

I relocated the AC line to go under the front of the bench below the table. Out of sight, out of mind, I also added a 12VDC outlet (cigar lighter, power point beside it).

I saw those wires going nowhere in the front wall also (head scratcher) . I removed those 2 wires for safety sake. Looks like the Sunline engineering group had a hiccup. Why would they install wires that go blind and then seal up the wall?.

The first time I went to Home Depot they must have been sold out because I frantically looked everywhere for that paneling. I was in panic mode seeking the same paneling. Alas, I return a week or so later to Home Depot and found that paneling. Not a perfect match but close enough, especially when you know that no one else around has anything near to that paneling.
While we can be purists at times often times we have to accept defeat when it comes to restoration, enter the term resto-mod, just like the muscle car scene.

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:28 AM   #6

SUN #128
Tweety
Could the wires be pre wiring for something? That is odd.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:33 AM   #7

SUN #2427
Jerry, my husband thought about sinking that electrical outlet into the wall instead of using the original block of wood, but it would be a little more work, and I wanted to be a purist, as you say!! We do not use the table much, we use it basically as a microwave stand, so the outlet is in a good place for that. I do like your idea for the cigarette lighter outlet.

It's funny that you found the same paneling we did. I guess Home Depots everywhere carry the same stuff.

The mystery wires seem to go up into the wall and to one of the little orange lights on the top of the camper. Maybe they were just the end of the wiring line, but why would they bring them all the way down there instead of leaving the ends up near the light? Maybe for some option our camper didn't have, as Mainah said, like a jack light. I'm not sure what that is, a light so you can see the hitch at night if you try to hook/unhook the camper?
Old 07-21-2014, 07:06 AM   #8

SUN #6257
[QUOTE=JTurner;123090]Jerry, my husband thought about sinking that electrical outlet into the wall instead of using the original block of wood, but it would be a little more work, and I wanted to be a purist, as you say!! We do not use the table much, we use it basically as a microwave stand, so the outlet is in a good place for that. I do like your idea for the cigarette lighter outlet.[QUOTE]

I may be wrong, but my only concern about sinking that AC outlet into the wall and making it flush to the panel....see the actual thickness of the outlet fixture and see the depth of space between the paneling and the aluminum siding. The strapping is only 1"x2". Depth wise I don't think it would work, hence is probably why they used that block of wood on the outside on the paneling. You'll have AC current and if that ever touches the aluminum siding holy fire works !!!

Kinda funny my wife and I were talking this morning about your wall replacement same as ours. and she though it would be a good idea to go buy 2 more sheets as spare. Ok, where would I store those and keep them dry? She has a point although not practical.

Jerry & Debbie
Old 07-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #9

SUN #2427
Jerry, that was the main problem with sinking the outlet, we also kicked around moving it but just decided it was best left alone.

I never thought about buying extra replacement paneling pieces. Same problem here, we have nowhere to really store them except the garage, and that garage is getting mighty full of junk.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:16 AM   #10

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
Those wires, as Tim surmised do I believe go up and become the 12 volt aux. socket. I have that in my 1983 T-1550. I'll post pictures.
P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #11

SUN #5039
bunjin-gi's Library | Photobucket

This is pictures of my 1983 T-1550. I thought that the socket was original until I looked closer last night. I think the PO may have added it. I talked to him this morning and he said that he did add 2 sockets to 2 TT's. He thinks he may have added this one. He collects and modifies Sunline.
P3 break control
Old 07-23-2014, 07:15 AM   #12

SUN #6257
My original front panel was the same as all of yours

I removed my ac outlet and put both AC & a DC outlet under the bench to the left of the window (opposite cargo hold)
While it's not factory original we felt that the place where it was could have been a pain, so we relocated it to a safer spot. Now, at least all the wiring is accessible for any future changes.
This will give you a chance to see the difference between Sunline original panel and the Home Depot replacement panel. When that's all that's available, it's not that bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1230.jpg (79.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0416.jpg (66.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0417.jpg (96.1 KB, 8 views)

Jerry & Debbie
Old 07-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #13

SUN #5039
Jerry,

Are you saying that that cigarette jack in your last photo was originally up by the light like mine?

If so, then maybe mine is original!
P3 break control
Old 07-23-2014, 09:09 AM   #14

SUN #6257
No, when I first got the trailer my cigarette jack was an after market and placed near the table in a "Mickey Mouse" way. All his connections were the wires just twisted together and electrical tape (yuck). So I tore all the garbage out and relocated the AC outlet and put DC cigarette jack together below the table. My original AC outlet was in that same factory location under the front window (above the table). Some also had a 12" fluorescent light fixture installed where the original DC light would be above the table. All my DC connections are soldered and used heat-shrink.
My AC is now one solid piece from the outlet back to the power box under the furnace (code correct)

Jerry & Debbie