Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2017, 01:13 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
capehank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 6
SUN #9441
capehank is an unknown quantity at this point
Front window awning

We just purchased a 2001 Sunline Solaris. The front window awning has been repaired but needs to be replaced. Where do I find a new awning and will it be easy to replace?
__________________

__________________
Mr. is a retired peace officer, Mrs. is a retired teacher. We both love to play golf. We have a golden retriever, Mulligan who will be 6 this summer.

We summer on Lake Ontario and Winter in Alabama. Spring is fall is anyplace in between.
capehank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:45 PM   #2
Moderator
 
JohnB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 10,165
SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi,

Since you said "front window" awning and not the main door side of the camper awning, the window awnings are not as popular as the door side main awnings. Meaning their are more options that many of us know about for the main awning but not so for a window awning.

I have seen the window awnings on some members Sunlines and other brands of campers so they do exist. They either had them special ordered from Sunline when the camper was built or they had them added afterwords.

Do you need just the fabric replaced or the entire arms, roller and all? They sell both.

And do you know the brand name of the awning? Dometic and Care Free are 2 popular brands but both are a little different. And you may have another brand too. And they make a vinyl awning and a cloth acrylic awning, you need to know which you have.

I know of this place but I have never bought from them. They make RV awnings and they offer the window awnings. They only sell the replacement fabric I believe, not the entire roller and hardware. For sure call them before ordering to make sure you have the right dimensions and where they want them taken from.

https://toughtopawnings.myshopify.co...window-awnings

If we know which awning brand and model you have we can help search better with you. Look on the awning tube, there may be a sticker with the make and model. You also need to measure the fabric. width and the length from cord to cord.

Hope this helps

John
__________________

__________________
Current Sunlines: 2004 T310SR, 2004 T1950, 2004 T2475, 2007 T2499, 2004 T317SR
Prior Sunlines: 2004 T2499 - Fern Blue
2005 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.8L V10 W/ 4.10 rear axle, CC, Short Bed, SRW. Reese HP trunnion bar hitch W/ HP DC

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:53 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
capehank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 6
SUN #9441
capehank is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Hi,

Since you said "front window" awning and not the main door side of the camper awning, the window awnings are not as popular as the door side main awnings. Meaning their are more options that many of us know about for the main awning but not so for a window awning.

I have seen the window awnings on some members Sunlines and other brands of campers so they do exist. They either had them special ordered from Sunline when the camper was built or they had them added afterwords.

Do you need just the fabric replaced or the entire arms, roller and all? They sell both.

And do you know the brand name of the awning? Dometic and Care Free are 2 popular brands but both are a little different. And you may have another brand too. And they make a vinyl awning and a cloth acrylic awning, you need to know which you have.

I know of this place but I have never bought from them. They make RV awnings and they offer the window awnings. They only sell the replacement fabric I believe, not the entire roller and hardware. For sure call them before ordering to make sure you have the right dimensions and where they want them taken from.

https://toughtopawnings.myshopify.co...window-awnings

If we know which awning brand and model you have we can help search better with you. Look on the awning tube, there may be a sticker with the make and model. You also need to measure the fabric. width and the length from cord to cord.

Hope this helps

John
Thank you for your response, John. I may be using the wrong term, awning. I am talking about the plastic piece that goes over the front window. I am thinking I could get a piece of hard plastic and cut it to fit.

Cheryl
__________________
Mr. is a retired peace officer, Mrs. is a retired teacher. We both love to play golf. We have a golden retriever, Mulligan who will be 6 this summer.

We summer on Lake Ontario and Winter in Alabama. Spring is fall is anyplace in between.
capehank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:28 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Thomascine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 752
SUN #8893
Thomascine is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Cheryl,

I believe the part you are speaking of is the rockguard. There are a couple of threads where other owners have repaired/restored theirs. Here is one that I am thinking of trying myself.

Front window rock guard refurbished

Thanks,
Tommie
__________________
1987 Sunline T1550
2002 GMC Envoy SLE, 4.2L I6, 4WD, 3.73 Axle Ratio, 5750 GVWR

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnít do than by the ones you did do..." Mark Twain]
Thomascine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:09 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
capehank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 6
SUN #9441
capehank is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you Tommie!
__________________
Mr. is a retired peace officer, Mrs. is a retired teacher. We both love to play golf. We have a golden retriever, Mulligan who will be 6 this summer.

We summer on Lake Ontario and Winter in Alabama. Spring is fall is anyplace in between.
capehank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:20 PM   #6
Moderator
 
Sunline Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,994
SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by capehank View Post
Thank you for your response, John. I may be using the wrong term, awning. I am talking about the plastic piece that goes over the front window. I am thinking I could get a piece of hard plastic and cut it to fit.

Cheryl
What you have is actually fiberglass, not plastic. I think the fiberglass is more durable for stone hitting it and wind pushing on it.

Since yours is a 2001 with an external rock guard, removing the fiberglass is pretty easy. I used this exact process when I masked mine off and painted it with Krylon Fusion spray paint.

1) Remove the two screws that hold the two lift arms on the trailer.
2) Pull the lift arms away from the putty tape and trailer and latch them back to the rock guard.
3) Remove one of the set screws that holds the rock guard in place on the upper rail, it's a little 1/4" screw into the channel.
4) Lift the rock guard up and away from the trailer, and slide it sideways out of the channel. It might be a little tough because leaves and stuff build up in that channel.
5) Lay the rock guard on a table, face down.
6) Remove the screws that hold the inner frame to the outer band frame, again a bunch of little 1/4" screws.
7) Mark/number the bars with a sharpie as to where they go, because the screw holes aren't exact on all.
8 ) Lift out and remove the vertical bars.
9) With a putty knife, carefully work it under the horizontal frame bar, all the way down. This bar is taped with two sided tape to the fiberglass.
10) Remove the center horizontal bar.
11) Find the end of the set cord around the edge of the rock guard, from the inside. Pull on it to pull it out all the way around. It might be a little tough around the screw holes from where the bars were, so work it out there with a screwdriver.
12) Carefully flex the fiberglass and remove the outer black frame from it.

To reinstall, repeat the above process in reverse, with new two-sided tape and new putty tape on the trailer arms.
__________________
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9467.8 (as of 5/26/19)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:33 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
capehank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 6
SUN #9441
capehank is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
What you have is actually fiberglass, not plastic. I think the fiberglass is more durable for stone hitting it and wind pushing on it.

Since yours is a 2001 with an external rock guard, removing the fiberglass is pretty easy. I used this exact process when I masked mine off and painted it with Krylon Fusion spray paint.

1) Remove the two screws that hold the two lift arms on the trailer.
2) Pull the lift arms away from the putty tape and trailer and latch them back to the rock guard.
3) Remove one of the set screws that holds the rock guard in place on the upper rail, it's a little 1/4" screw into the channel.
4) Lift the rock guard up and away from the trailer, and slide it sideways out of the channel. It might be a little tough because leaves and stuff build up in that channel.
5) Lay the rock guard on a table, face down.
6) Remove the screws that hold the inner frame to the outer band frame, again a bunch of little 1/4" screws.
7) Mark/number the bars with a sharpie as to where they go, because the screw holes aren't exact on all.
8 ) Lift out and remove the vertical bars.
9) With a putty knife, carefully work it under the horizontal frame bar, all the way down. This bar is taped with two sided tape to the fiberglass.
10) Remove the center horizontal bar.
11) Find the end of the set cord around the edge of the rock guard, from the inside. Pull on it to pull it out all the way around. It might be a little tough around the screw holes from where the bars were, so work it out there with a screwdriver.
12) Carefully flex the fiberglass and remove the outer black frame from it.

To reinstall, repeat the above process in reverse, with new two-sided tape and new putty tape on the trailer arms.
Thank you for this great info. Now I just need to find a piece of fiberglass. I was wondering if I could use the fiberglass reinforce wall panel that is sold at Lowes. I may even have some of that left over from our bathroom remodel.

Thoughts?
__________________
Mr. is a retired peace officer, Mrs. is a retired teacher. We both love to play golf. We have a golden retriever, Mulligan who will be 6 this summer.

We summer on Lake Ontario and Winter in Alabama. Spring is fall is anyplace in between.
capehank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:19 PM   #8
Moderator
 
JohnB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 10,165
SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by capehank View Post
Thank you for this great info. Now I just need to find a piece of fiberglass. I was wondering if I could use the fiberglass reinforce wall panel that is sold at Lowes. I may even have some of that left over from our bathroom remodel.

Thoughts?

Hi,

An unknown on the Lowes/Home Depot is does it have any UV protection in the plastic. Using 303 Aerospace protectant can help if you spray it on but you need to apply it about every 3 to 4 months.

It won't hurt to try, the worst is it may crack. Don't know on the cost.

We have not had many reline the frame with new fiberglass repairs that I can recall. They may be, just it is not frequent. But try this.

This is a Google Custom Search just for our forum. https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=0...95:95x3m3w6lto

Fire that link and scroll down to the Google Custom search box and try a search on "front window rock guard repair". It will turn up a lot of those repairs, I just cannot recall someone putting new fiberglass in. I tried a quick open web hit on it looking for materials and did not find any quick. I'm sure someone makes this that can live outside. Marine places or even fiberglass repair shops.

Is yours cracked or totally gone? There are fiberglass repair people who can do wonders on fixing cracked fiberglass. Again this all come down to cost. Your home remedy may be more cost effective then the repair guy.

Hope this helps

John
__________________
Current Sunlines: 2004 T310SR, 2004 T1950, 2004 T2475, 2007 T2499, 2004 T317SR
Prior Sunlines: 2004 T2499 - Fern Blue
2005 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.8L V10 W/ 4.10 rear axle, CC, Short Bed, SRW. Reese HP trunnion bar hitch W/ HP DC

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:07 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
capehank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 6
SUN #9441
capehank is an unknown quantity at this point
John,
Thank you. There is a piece of the actual rock guard missing, the previous owner just patched it with another piece of plastic. The patch job won't last long when we begin traveling long distance.
__________________

__________________
Mr. is a retired peace officer, Mrs. is a retired teacher. We both love to play golf. We have a golden retriever, Mulligan who will be 6 this summer.

We summer on Lake Ontario and Winter in Alabama. Spring is fall is anyplace in between.
capehank is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front window rock guard refurbished Lode Modifications 1 06-01-2008 08:45 PM
Rep[lacement of front window Janbill Repairs and Maintenance 1 08-28-2007 05:40 PM
2006 solaris 2363 I would like to repace front window Janbill Modifications 1 08-28-2007 01:09 PM
opening front window Tweety Sunline Community 4 08-22-2007 08:36 AM
Front Window Cover Supports wobbly Sunline Community 2 06-14-2007 05:52 PM


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sunline RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:06 PM.


×