Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-21-2014, 09:24 AM   #1

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Fresh water tank

I need to know how many gallons my fresh water tank holds on my T1350. I will assume your answer will be in US gallons.

We had a problem with a real skunky garbage smell every time we ran the water in the sink. I mean super yuck.

I knew (or at least I thought) I drained the tank and the entire system for the winter and used RV type anti freeze for the system. I opened the seat and gave the tank a visual check for the tank being empty for the winter but did not do that for the trips home, hence the skunk buildup. Especially before heading home on a long trip.

We went to our first and second camp site and topped up the water tank with fresh water from the camp ground known to be drinkable. Drinkable or not we only used it for washing dishes and flushing the pottie. I always take cases of bottle water for drinking.

That aside I always drained the fresh water holding tank before our trip home, or so I thought. It was one of those no-brainer tasks. open the valve and go about other things. I noticed when I opened the valve and nothing came out. Hmmmm we must have used all the water. You never know when you have 4 grandkids that like to play with new(to them) features.
Later we made a highway pit-stop and I was playing with the drain tap outside. Now I know how stupid I really am but will not admit it.

It turns out that the valve I opened was supposed to turn 180 degrees, not the 90 degrees that I originally thought.
Needless to say, I felt like a real goof, but at 10lbs per gallon I wonder how many gallons I had with a full tank and that will tell me how much extra weight I hauled, needlessly.
1) I hauled that extra weight
2) it explains why the water was so stinky.

I drained the tank and added a half bottle of bleach, filled the rest of the tank and ran it through the system into gray water tank and out.. I also plan to use that water purification treatment for RVs to give it that extra cleaning. At least now our RV tap water smells fresher.

Maybe I was just preoccupied and my brain was not in gear. A simple little $1.49 valve

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #2

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
Jerry,

I linked you to the 1983 brochure file, but the years in-and-around this is going to be the same.
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/do...o=file&id=5482

You have a 22 gallon (U.S.) fresh
21 gallon (U.S.) grey
And 10 gallon (U.S.) septic (black)

In the U.S. our water is 8.333 pounds/gallon. The stink is the same though!

P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #3

SUN #6257
Our imperial gallon is bigger than the US gallon hence is why I said 10lbs per gallon. Even so we have moved onto the metric system so we deal with liters and all those funny measurements.

There are still many people that think gallons and miles etc while some have moved on. That said, there's a bunch of us that think both. Some people like the metric system some don't. I still do my fuel economy as MPG. My Explorer 4.6 V8 gets 25.5 MPG by itself and 17MPG with the trailer loaded. Not too bad I suppose. Typically all bets are off when thinking fuel economy with a loaded trailer. But I do it because I'm curious.
Thanks for the link and the numbers

Jerry & Debbie
Old 08-21-2014, 05:32 PM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Just before I drain my tank for the winter I add chorine and about a half tank of water I run it through the plumbing and then take the camper for a ride. My drive is very steep and long so it gets a good sloshing around. Next spring I do the same and have no issues with my fresh water, cook with it and make coffee.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:15 PM   #5

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjin View Post
In the U.S. our water is 8.333 pounds/gallon. The stink is the same though!
LOL ... glad I wasn't drinking my coffee, I would have had to clean my keyboard.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:55 AM   #6

SUN #6257
Here's a link about water safety for your fresh water tank.

Ever since I can remember, even with our previous trailer, we have always had a policy of never, ever drink the water from an RV tank of any sort. After certain treatments and as safe as it can be at times, we just never did.

However, by reading through this link I can see some do's and don'ts.
The RV Dilemma -Drinking Water on the Road
I saw items that most of us know as common sense but I also saw items that I never knew or realized. One would assume that this article is accurate. You know the old adage "if in doubt...don't" .
After reading this can you imagine what might have been harboring inside OUR tank? The stink was from all kinds of bacteria and growth. Maybe even a new species for the Discovery Channel

Jerry & Debbie