Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #1

SUN #2947
John 04 2670 is an unknown quantity at this point
Fresh water drain leak

I finally figured out where the leak was coming from in my 2670. Right where it goes through the body the 1/2 inch hose was leaking. I couldn't understand why the pump wasn't coming on, well, now I know... The water would run back in and then follow the wall and water lines, very challenging to find.

So I'm replacing the hose and I've got a question for you guys.

1. The factory clamp is very low profile, I'm having a hard time finding a clamp that will go through the siding. It is very tight, I may have to open up the whole in the siding.

2. What should I use behind the fresh water drain valve between the valve and the siding to ensure no water goes into the wall? Plumbers putty? Marine sealant?

Thanks!!!!

Old 06-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi John,

Is your camper a 2004? Trying to figure out by your words how the fresh water tank "drain" hose is going through the camper body. As "many", but not all, fresh water tanks are under the camper and the fresh drain does not go through the wall.

But... you may have one of the few floor plans that have the fresh tank inside the camper and as such the clear drain hose needs to go out through the wall to get out side. Is this the way your camper is made?

Once I'm sure what you have I may be able to help on the hose clamp. Sunline would of used a PEX stainless crimp on connector. By any chance can you post a pic so we can see what it is you have? Or if another member has your floor plan.

Assuming this is the plastic drain valve with a flange sealed to the side of the camper, that flange is sealed with either what they call Putty tape OR better, butyl sealing tape. This is made for campers to seal flanges of any kind to the side of the camper.

Personally I gave up on putty tape,(drys out, create cracks and then water and wick in after a number of years) and now only use buytl sealing tape which has to be used on the rubber roofs, but use it on all camper wall flanges. Doors, cargo holes, corners etc.

Here is one place that sells it. Make sure you ask for white unless you want black. White is actually sort of a cream color. RV dealers sell this too, again ask for butyl or they will give you putty tape.

Butyl Rubber Tape - Flexible tacky adhesive Sealing Tape - PPL Motor Homes

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:27 AM   #3

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
If like my T2553 Fresh water tank is under bed. Looks like hose was attached to tank before tank was secured, in my case running out the back wall, then flanged drain valve was attached outside. Butyl tape around flange then tank pulled into TT enough to pull flanged drain up to the outside wall then secured tank to floor
Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #4

SUN #2947
John 04 2670 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry for the delayed response. Yes John, my camper is a 2004, 2670. We love the floor plan. The fresh water tank is on inside, underneath the kitchen cabinets with a drain running through the wall to an external drain.

I put new clear tubing, not PEX but more like taigon tubing I think it's called, from the tank to the valve.

Just as you guys recommended I used Butyl tape on the outside, between the drain valve and the siding, it worked great and I now have roll of it.

For the clamp, I couldn't find a clamp that was low profile, although a PEX clamp might have done it but I don't think the valve is made for a lot of pressure on it. I took mechanics wire, wrapped it tight, and cut the ends off. Seems to be tight and holding well.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 06-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #5

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
John, if your wire wrap doesn't hold you can get the smallest automotive hose clamp possible to hold the hose on. Then you can take a narrow wood chisel to make the hole expand lopsided enuff for the clamp to clear and the valve in the proper position. then putty and screw valve back in place. Hope that made sense. *snicker*

Well, that is what I did to mine, LOL!
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote