Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-29-2008, 07:12 AM   #1

SUN #149
nasa42a
Fixing yellowing external plastic fixtures.........

Folks......

Sunline has tended to use the same external plastic fixtures (door window framing, range hood vent flap, refrigerator vent grilles, etc.) as most other manufacturers. And the result is usually the same....after 2 or 3 years they yellow, and after 5 years they tend to crack or otherwise deteriorate....the result of ultraviolet radiation in sunlight (and the cheap plastic used).

A fairly quick, easy, and inexpensive solution to the problem (if you haven't waited until the fixture is crumbling) is as follows.........

(1) Clean with Fantastic, 409, or other cleaner, and then carefully wipe the fixture down with a "sanding prep".
(2) While you're waiting 15 minutes for the sanding prep to evaporate or dry, carefully mask the area around the fixture (you're going to spraypaint).
(3) Using either regular K-Mart Dutch Boy (or any of the new spray paints specifically made to cover plastic) in Satin White, spray the fixture (2 light coats, at least 12 minutes apart). Be sure to wait at least 15 minutes before removing the masking tape.

You'll find this process covers existing yellowing, and prevents future yellowing or deterioration for 4-6 years....and then you can redo it again.

Frank

nasa42a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:25 AM   #2

SUN #187
precorguy
ok, you are going to hate me - but here goes

i was looking for black streak remover at wally world when i noted some rv mildew remover --- so i picked it up --- when i sprayed it around the windows - the yellowing from the plastic came right off!

i hadn't expected that - but it worked like a charm - so i did it all around then washed the trailer.

thought i would just mention it.

someone we camped with a while ago - also mentioned that plastic patio furniture cleaner does the same thing --- so both chemicals must be almost the same.

you may want to try it if you haven't already painted!

Old 09-05-2008, 06:23 AM   #3

SUN #149
nasa42a
Actually.....

Although I've already painted, it's always good to have more than one option! Thanks!

Frank
nasa42a is offline   Reply With Quote