Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #1

SUN #4454
wildmerit is an unknown quantity at this point
Finding & Installing an outdoor stove

Hi all,

My 2004 T-2475 has a capped hardpiped LP connection to the right of the door and the side support rail for an outdoor stove/grill. My local RV shop says they cannot find the proper connections or a compatible stove to install. Doesn't make sense to me. You see campers and pop-ups all over the place with exterior portable stoves. Any ideas on where i can find the parts to install the plumbing myself and find a nice 2 or 3 burner stove?

Thanks

Ken

Old 11-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #2

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Ken, you need to look for a low pressure stove, which you may not like...and any propane company should be able to provide the proper fittings for the quick connect!

We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #3

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Ken, Welcome to the forum.

The low pressure quick connect you need should look like this:

and here is a link to one place to buy one: Camco RV LP Quick Connect

As Kathy mentioned, this is a low pressure connection so any grill / stove will need to work directly from the low pressure. I have a Coleman Roadtrip grill that I modified by removing the regulator and it works well. Some units have a seperate regulator that can be removed but there are many that have the regulator built into the flow control so they will not work. It takes a bit of searching to find one.

NOTE: Even though it looks like a regular air hose quick connect, it is not the same as a air hose quick connect, you do need a propane quick connect.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #4

SUN #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Ken, Welcome to the forum.

The low pressure quick connect you need should look like this:

and here is a link to one place to buy one: Camco RV LP Quick Connect

As Kathy mentioned, this is a low pressure connection so any grill / stove will need to work directly from the low pressure. I have a Coleman Roadtrip grill that I modified by removing the regulator and it works well. Some units have a seperate regulator that can be removed but there are many that have the regulator built into the flow control so they will not work. It takes a bit of searching to find one.

NOTE: Even though it looks like a regular air hose quick connect, it is not the same as a air hose quick connect, you do need a propane quick connect.

Gene, can you tell us how you modified your Road Trip; Leo wants to do the same....can you easily put the regulator back on? We use the Road Trip without the trailer at times ie. Nascar races, auto swap meets....
We loved our 2007 T-2499
Old 11-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #5

SUN #768
Kathy, here is a picture of what I put together. My Roadtrip is the original, old version that I got in 2004 when I bought my Sunny. I don't know if you have the same version or if the regulator is the same. I bought a second regulator directly from Coleman, about $15 at the time just in case I wanted to use the little bottles in the future. It did take a lot of force to unscrew the regulator part from the pipe and it can be screwed back on if needed. I found the short black hose with the quick connect on clearance from my local RV dealer and got the fittings to connect to the long hose from Lowes ... after a bit of searching in the plumbing section. I love having a grill and griddle at the same time and not having to carry another tank for the grill.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
Old 11-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #6

SUN #93
thanks Gene, I'll have to show Leo!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
Old 11-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #7

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
To add to Gene's post, you may need the female part of the quick disconnect too. While both of my 2004 Sunlines has the gas pipe, it stopped at the frame and had a 1/2" NPT black iron pipe can on it. Since Gene did not mention it, his may have had one on it.

Here is one and has a hand valve on it too

Propane/Natural Gas 1/4" Quick

Or here 1/4" Quick Disconnects (Model 250) - Natural Gas Quick Disconnects & Plugs

Amazon.com: Camco 59853 Propane Quick Connect Kit - Valve & Full Flow Plug: Automotive

and here is a low pressure extension hose
Camco 57282 10' Propane Quick-Connect Hose : Amazon.com : Automotive

The hand valve is a good added feature even if you have to add a gas rated ball valve yourself. When you are done using the gas, valve it off. I'm also looking to see if I can find the rubber end plug to put in the quick disconnect to keep road dirt out. I have seen them, just trying to find it.

You also need to use a special sealing tape on gas fittings. It is different then the white Teflon tape. Lowes/Home Depot has it, it is yellow and states rated for gas service. Do a leak check with gas leak solution or soapy water when your done hooking it up.

On the pressure, since the pipe on the side of the camper is low pressure, that is 11" WC (water column). The higher pressure stoves are like 5 to 7 psi. Do not know what kind of stove you are after, the large cast iron burner ones like Camp Chef can work on both low and hi pressure

Camp Chef

Camp Chef is hands down a real stove. It will last a life time and then some. No problem with putting large pots of water onto boil. Many are made to run low pressure and or high pressure. You just get lower BTUs' on the lower pressure. These stove will cook anything and then some.

However they are heavier than the average Colemen type stove. You can tell by the way they are built.

We came from the Pop Up world where our Coleman PU had an inside low pressure stove and an outside high pressure stove. Coleman added a separate regulator to create the special hi pressure tap. I gave the stove to the dealer when we bought our 1st Sunline. Wish I never did that but did not know what Coleman charges for it. Went to the dealer to ask later, they wanted $360 for it... I know it was porcelain coated but my goodness... I can get a real Weber grill cheaper. So I gave up on the PU stoves.

I wanted an all stainless or porcelain one, had to have wind skirts, a cover and could be used on the camper or off. I knew about the Camp Chef, however at the time I had no good place to store/haul it. So I saw a $40 one at Walmart. I said heck for $40 I'll toss it when it dies. And it runs on a 5 lb refillable LP bottle I bought. I rigged up a place on the camper tongue to haul the bottle. It is a hi pressure stove, 15,000 BTU's I think and I can attest I can burn up anything I want to cooking... It is slower boiling water washing dishes.

Well that was now 10 years ago and I'm still using it... Walmart was clearancing the brand/style and I picked 2 more up as spares for 1/2 price. I think I have enough spare parts for a while.... They are still in the box in the basement. I made tables for them. Sort of an outside kitchen

Here are the tables and stove on the smaller T2499. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...over-7939.html

And here again on our T310SR
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...10sr-8989.html

I also have a Tee for the gas line and can run both my Weber Baby Q grill off the same bottle. I have a spare LP bottle too or I can tap off the main 30# tank if I need to.

Just some thoughts as you work through this.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #8

SUN #768
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
To add to Gene's post, you may need the female part of the quick disconnect too. While both of my 2004 Sunlines has the gas pipe, it stopped at the frame and had a 1/2" NPT black iron pipe can on it. Since Gene did not mention it, his may have had one on it.
Ah yes, I assumed .... when I reread Ken's post it said the pipe was capped. I did have the female quick connect with a shutoff on mine when I bought it. Thanks for catching that John.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
Old 11-12-2013, 07:12 AM   #9

SUN #4454
wildmerit is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you all, especially John B as his answer sounds like EXACTLY what I was looking for.

Thanks again

Ken
Old 11-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #10

SUN #665
Lost Hunter
Ken, I have the same model trailer and I added an outdoor stove last year. Everyone one has already given you a lot of great information. If I remember correctly I had to use a reducing coupling from the capped gas line to the new female quick connection. I was lucky enough to get an outdoor two burner stove including the hose and mounting bracket from a old camper that was being demolished. I've only used it a few times so far but on those really hot days it is a great addition.