Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-21-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Factory installed Black Tank Rinser

I opted to get the black tank rinser on the 2499 when I ordered it. I have used it previously with no problems. I went to rinse the black tank while I was in SC for the Open Roads Singles GTG and it would not work.

I had drained the black tank. Connected a water suppy hose to the inlet for the black tank rinse feature, turned on the water, felt pressure in the hose, BUT no water was going into the black tank. I know it worked in november when I emptied & rinsed the tank when I left Pigeon Forge at Thanksgiving. Now, since this is the first built in tank rinser I have had, I will admit that I never gave a thought about pouring some pink stuff into the rinser I'm not sure that is even neccessary as the rinser drains into the black tank, so I'd think after 430 some miles, the rinse hose would not be very full of water, at least not enuff to freeze and crack. Also, "IF" the rinse hose had froze and split, wouldn't I have a flood of water going under the trailer, since I dont' have an enclosed underbelly?

I just need some suggestion of what to check/look for so I can play detective this afternoon( if no rain) otherwise tomorrow.

Black tank is rinsed out (just ran a lot of water into tank thru the toilet before I disconnected the sewer, so I can open up the valve here at home to drain rinse water out of tank, "IF" I can get water to flow.

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:00 AM   #2

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
My first thought would be a kink in the hose somewhere, on our trailer there is just a hose from the female connection on the side of the trailer to the rinser, so not a whole lot to go wrong. I have had hoses delaminate and the inner piece block the flow. I don't remember if it had a screen in the inlet, if it doesn't something may have got into the system and blocked it.

Your right, you would have water coming out underneath if the hose split, we had a small leak in the connector and you could see the water.

Let us know what you find, because when I chased the leak in mine it didn't look like a lot to break.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:37 AM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Kitty,

Is there a valve on the black tank rinse hookup? I believe there should be a valve there that you can turn off the water. We have this in our MH for both the black and gray, so we have a valve at the connection that we can shut the water off to turn the valve to switch tanks.

We've never winterized the rinse feature and have never had a problem. I'd say something is clogging it somewhere. I assume you have the quick disconnect feature on there, so maybe that didn't seat right to open the valve. I'd think there's a backflow valve on there like the city water inlet has, so maybe that isn't being pushed right to release.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #4

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Kitty,

I have the same factory installed black tank rinse kit. I just went out to check to see if it has a back-flow valve on it and it doesn’t have one so that wouldn’t be a problem.

I agree with George (MACK C-85), check to see if there’s a kink in the water line.
What else you can try, is remove the hose form the black tank. If your’s is like mine is connected with a threaded connector. Once the hose is remove, hook up a hose to your trailer's side rinse kit connector and see if water runs through the hose. That will let you know if the blockage is in the hose or the rinse kit valve. Based on that, you can start to isolate where / what the blockage is.

Hope this helps some.
Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, when I came home from work, I stepped off the bus and went right over to Sunny. Crawled under it a bit, and checked out black tank rinser connections. It's quite a simple setup. There is the connector on the outside of the trailer that your water hose connects to, and under the trailer there is "blue" pex that goes from the water inlet fitting to a fitting on the end to allow it to screw right onto the gray fitting sticking out of the black tank. No rocket science there, with incoming water hose connected to side of trailer, and the pex disconnected from the black tank, I had water flowing, OK that is working. Insert an expensive high tech prob type tool (aka stick) into the opening of the black tank, and there is no blockage there. HUM , well what the hay, I reconnect the pex to the tank, turn the water back on, and now the darn thing is working. So, I have no clue as to why it would not work when I was in SC. But anyway, just another feature that I now know more about.

Kitty

PS, Hey Hutch, thanks, and from now on, I better come in the house and read here before I get into repairs/projects .
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote