Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-22-2017, 06:27 PM   #1

SUN #8853
ggrvguy is an unknown quantity at this point
exterior sealant?

I want to seal the exterior moldings and windows on my sunline and I
'm wondering what the newest high tech sealers are that you've had good luck with. In my earlier life as an RV tech we used a lot of silicone and I could lay down a really smoth bead. I know there is better stuff these days, but what are the manufactures using and the DIY rv techs? Preferably clear, easy to tool, and doesn't atrract dirt like silicone.
Gary G

Old 12-22-2017, 09:56 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Gary,

See this post and my response (reply #2) with pics. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...tml#post137744

My camper is white and the Dicor non leveling (non sag) works well on the Sunline aluminum campers. And would on the fiberglass too. I also posted in that reply one method on how to tool it out and make it look good. I tried several ways and the one I posted so far is the best and very repeatable.

The good part of it, if you need to pull the window, door, corner molding etc. to the caulk off the camper, just use a heat gun to warm it, using a plastic scraper on the siding to not scratch, it peels it right off. Then mineral spirits to clean the siding followed by a high flash cleaner that will not affect the paint to get the oil residue off. I now use naphtha. It is only like $12 a gallon, cleans the oil film and does not affect the paint. Then you are right back to clean aluminum fairly easy for the next application of sealant.

They do make it in tan and light gray in case your Sunline is not the white.

On my camper, I have been working my way around the camper to pull all windows, doors, moldings etc and replace the putty tape with new high quality butyl then, trim off the butyl and seal it with the non sag Dicor. This keeps the dirt from sticking to the butyl, creates a secondary seal and is washable. I hope to after this winter to almost be done. I do a few every year until done.

On other brands of fiberglass campers, I have seen and heard they use a product made by Geocel called Proflex RV. https://www.geocelusa.com/product/pr...xible-sealant/ It comes in clear and many other colors. This is a different product then the Dicor. I myself have not used it yet. From what I have heard, it is hard to work with unless your a pro at it. So there is a learning curve for sure which sounds worse then the Dicor. It is reported to not tool out nice, I think you have to use a solvent wet finger to do it. It states in their literature to not use on a rubber roof if you have one with it. Must be the solvent based caulk as the issue.

The sealant issue I have seen on some other brands of fiberglass side campers, is they really do not use a lot of sealing tape under the corner moldings. They use a little sealing tape on the screw side of the corner molding but none on the non screw side of the molding. They only use a 1/16" radius of caulk as the only seal to stop water from getting in that edge between the siding and the molding. While they do use the Proflex, I am not that trusting that small 1/16" radius of caulk as the only thing to keep water out of the corner. I am helping a neighbor with his Keystone Cougar TT and when I pulled a corner, I was shocked they had nothing under the molding on the side of the camper. Only that little 1/16" sealing caulk.

Hope this helps and let us know what you end up with and try.

Thanks

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:56 AM   #3

SUN #8853
Thanks John. I had read your post about tooling the dicor, and I have had to do that previously, but found the process to be very time consuming. I ended up running a very careful controlled bead and calling it good. I have time just not a lot of patience. I've also used geocel products on a roof before but it's nearly impossible to make it look nice. Im gping to peel the corner moldings off this winter and replace the tape and want a secondary seal also. Still undecided what tp use.
Gary G
Old 12-26-2017, 08:25 AM   #4

SUN #9624
sparksolaris is an unknown quantity at this point
I was also wondering what others had experienced with Geocel Proflex Sealant. I'm planning on re doing some seams on the sides of the camper when the weather turns nice again.

2005 Sunline T2753
2018 Chevrolet 1500 V8 5.3L LT Crew Cab
sparksolaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:44 PM   #5

SUN #8853
My experience is that it is a great sealer , sticks very well and flexible. But, if you can't lay down a nice smooth consistent bead the first time, then forget about tooling it to make it look good. I didn't have any luck with a wet finger, but maybe that's not the right way.
Gary G