Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-13-2011, 07:31 AM   #1

SUN #1949
joe8grouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Exterior Lights

Hi,

We have a 1994 T2251. There are two lights on the exterior of the coach. Lights that help with visibility when working outside in the dark. They are located on the road side and up front. Neither had bulbs in them when we purchased it a couple of years ago. Added the bulbs, but neither work. They are both switched. Do these work independent of whether trailer is hooked up to tow vehicle? To be honest, I haven't done anything other than put the bulbs in. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:10 AM   #2

SUN #987
awellis3
They run off your 12V battery (and converter when hooked to AC power) and are not dependent on your tow vehicle.

Teach

"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:24 AM   #3

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe8grouse View Post
Hi,

We have a 1994 T2251. There are two lights on the exterior of the coach. Lights that help with visibility when working outside in the dark. They are located on the road side and up front. Neither had bulbs in them when we purchased it a couple of years ago. Added the bulbs, but neither work. They are both switched. Do these work independent of whether trailer is hooked up to tow vehicle? To be honest, I haven't done anything other than put the bulbs in. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Joe, those should be 921 or similar bulbs. They are on the 12 vdc system so you'll want to be sure that your battery has a charge and that other 12 vdc lights are also working.

If they still don't work, check the fuses. If you have a convertor similar to mine, they are on the right when you open the access door. The fuses are regular automotive ones available at any auto part store. Mine looks like this:

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Joe

Welcome to Sunline Owners Club. Glad to have you with us.

As Teach and Steve stated most of those outside lights are off the TT battery on the front or the converter if plugged into shore power. No need for the TV to be plugged in.

If they do nothing and the fuse checks do not turn up anything, well you may have to start the hunt with a volt/ohm meter if you have one. Even a $5 one out of Harbor freight works great in trouble shooting a camper. The 1st thing I would check is continuity to DC common or frame ground. If the ground is not good the light will not light. So you do not short out your meter... unhook the battery or shore line power while trying to doing tests on which wire is the ground wire in the socket.

And another way to sort it out is use the volt meter side. If one wire it hot then the other wire is suppose to be ground but check both. Put the meter on a known good ground and see if there is voltage on one of the other 2. If both are dead then you have no power to start with and have to sort that out on how it is unhooked or a loose connection. Odds are they picked up power to either fixture from the nearest inside fixture and the wires my be loose there. If you take the inside fixture down you will find a bunch of wire nutted wires together.

Good luck and hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #5

SUN #1949
joe8grouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks all for the suggestions. When I get her out of storage early next month will take a look at this "problem" further. Not a necessity, but I am the kind of person that likes to have it all working. Plan on mounting a flat screen too. It works ok on the table, but would like to get it up out of the way. Also thinking about installing a stereo, which leads me to another question. Are the only factory wired speaker location as shown by the stickers on the ceiling? If my memory serves me correctly, there is only one in the rear of the TT. It so, will put a 6x9 there. Thanks again. I had a good feeling when I found this website, and you guys confirmed that.

Thanks,
Joe