Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-18-2014, 11:19 PM   #1

SUN #4364
dtstanton is an unknown quantity at this point
Exterior Lighting

When I put our T-1350 in its storage space, I found that some of the exterior lights were out. I suspect a bad connection. Note the pic below. This is with the parking lights on. The driver's side and front clearance lights are good. The passenger's side front clearance light is good. The rear is as you see. All brake lights, turn signals, and backup lights are good.

The passenger's side rear clearance light is out. As shown, the rear upper clearance lights are out and right side parking light is out. Knowing the typical wiring route Sunline used on these, where would you suggest I start looking?

Thanks in advance!
-Dale

TT: 1988 Sunline T-1350
TV: 2003 GMC Yukon SLT 5.3L
dtstanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:22 AM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Frankly the fixtures are not much I would start there the wiring is behind the panels and inaccessible By removing the fixtures a good bit of wire will come with it. I think if you remove the left tail light you'll find some connections behind it

Old 07-19-2014, 08:47 AM   #3

SUN #4364
Thanks, Tim. I've seen connections behind multiple lights when replacing my clearance lights a year or two ago. Is there a "standard" or usual path they take when they daisy-chain them on Sunnys?

Old 07-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #4

SUN #2097
Your parking light in the tail light looks bright to me maybe not. Any way I believe you'll find they are side to side they also make home runs with the grounds back to the converter there is a grounding buss inside I'll assume you have checked the fuses in the converter box.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #5

SUN #4364
The left tail light was normal brightness. The ambient lighting was kind of dim in the storage bay. I haven't had a chance to get into the nuts and bolts yet, but I will before long. Would the tail & clearance lights be split into more than one circuit/fuse? I had assumed that they would be fed by one fuse.

I see two likely wiring possibilities here. One like the white line, and one like the yellow - fed from the left side. That's where my converter is, and where the properly burning lights are. I would think they are run like the white line. When I changed the clearance lights a year or two ago, I don't recall how many wires were at each light, but I'm thinking that the top/right clearance light in the picture was the end of the run. I am suspecting that my problem is in the left tail light assembly connections. That's the first place I'm planning on looking, after the fuses.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #6

SUN #2097
The whites are grounds can't tell you what the other lighting color would be but the removal of one light should revel that. I don't know if there was more than one fuse because of the number of models it would be some thing you would need to check. It seems unlikely that the entire lighting would be on a single wire lighting every thing due to the length and voltage drop, well at least I would not wire it that way. There is also a safety factor of two fuses at least some thing would light.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #7

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
On my trailer all those lights get power from the tow vehicle via the 7 pin connector. They are not in any way associated with the converter or the trailer battery.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:14 PM   #8

SUN #4364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
On my trailer all those lights get power from the tow vehicle via the 7 pin connector. They are not in any way associated with the converter or the trailer battery.
That makes too much sense, Gene.
I guess that cuts a little useless work I was thinking about doing.

Thanks for the obvious wake-up!

Old 07-20-2014, 05:43 AM   #9

SUN #2097
That is correct how ever some are fused at the trailer level to avoid blowing the fuse in the TV and losing the TV lights. If nothing else their grounds are landed on the buss bar in the conveter.