Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-01-2019, 07:45 PM   #21

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
But I had an eye-opener when I broke out the LA's Totally Awesome, using it full-strength on some particularly stubborn stains. It did work well, but there were a couple of runs I didn't notice for a bit too long. Ate the paint right down to bare aluminum. Use with caution!
Hi,

H'mm, something may be missed. This is the second time a member has reported that Totally Awesome lifted the paint, however the first time it was reported they never came back with how they used it. So we do not know what went wrong.

We are trying to learn here from & with you. I have been using the LA's Totally Awesome now for close to 15 years and have not had a paint lift issue. Something is close to the edge of working or a step was missed.

Can you help us in what you did or did not do?

Did the paint lift immediately or minutes/hours later?

From this reply of mine I said this. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...tml#post147708

Quote:
You can dilute it and wash with it. On tough black streaks etc. I wet the wall, use it full strength, use a Magic Eraser (by Mr Clean) and do it in small areas to keep a wet edge. Do not let it dry or you have to start over. Rinse real well.
I underlined the steps I use all the time when using it full strength, did you do all of those steps, or something different? The rinse well at the end is a critical step, if that was missed it may have been the issue.

Please let us know.

Thanks

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:29 PM   #22

SUN #10986
Tinstaafl is an unknown quantity at this point
John, I didn't pre-wet, and that wasn't an issue for the area I was working on (with a Magic Eraser). It came out great. I think the scrubbing served to dilute it a bit.

I'd guess it was about 10-15 minutes after scrubbing that I did the rinse. The area that I actually scrubbed looks fine, but where it dribbled with no "manual distribution", the paint pretty much disappeared. Not completely, but enough for dismay.

My conclusion is that it does dissolve this particular paint to an extent, and not much harm done if one follows your prescription to the letter and with proper alacrity. But purists might want to pursue a gentler solution.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:18 PM   #23

SUN #89
Quote:
John, I didn't pre-wet, and that wasn't an issue for the area I was working on (with a Magic Eraser). It came out great. I think the scrubbing served to dilute it a bit.

I'd guess it was about 10-15 minutes after scrubbing that I did the rinse. The area that I actually scrubbed looks fine, but where it dribbled with no "manual distribution", the paint pretty much disappeared. Not completely, but enough for dismay.

My conclusion is that it does dissolve this particular paint to an extent, and not much harm done if one follows your prescription to the letter and with proper alacrity. But purists might want to pursue a gentler solution.
Thanks for reporting back. That really helps.

H'mm, You mentioned the area that was dribbled but not scrubbed. Did you pre-wet the entire wall that was dribbled on?

I totally wet the wall (top to bottom) with a hose before spraying the Awesome on full strength. That does dilute it some. I generally start at the top of the wall, I only spray and magic eraser about a 2 to 3 feet square area or spot treat at a time. Once done with the scrub of that small area, I fully rinse. Then start over again on the next 2 to 3 feet under the first area and repeat as needed until vertical section is done, then move over the next 2 to 3 ft and repeat.

I have never let it stay on full strength for a 10 to 15 minute period prior to a rinse. If I leave it on very long, or it is a warm day, the black steak curd dry's and hardens back on and you have to do it over again. This always made me rinse right after cleaning. I never did a 10 to 15 minute wait to know the results.

Also something is the siding itself. Is your camper a 1999 model? If so I'm thinking that should be the white Krystal Koted siding to help reduce denting. All but the center decal piece that is just white painted siding. The Krystal Kote is what I have on all of my 2004's. And any of the other 05's, 06's or 07's I have helped with and cleaned. I really do not know what year the Krystal Kote started, but I would think it was early 90's to mid 90's ish when the white sided campers came to be. The older tan ones may not have had it. Sunline Fan I'm sure may know. He is up on all those changes.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:01 AM   #24

SUN #10986
Tinstaafl is an unknown quantity at this point
Other than neglecting to pre-wet, I followed your routine pretty precisely. It's just that I had some particularly stubborn stains, so it took 10 minutes or so just to scrub a couple of square feet--and I didn't notice the runs until I was done with that section and ready to rinse. Duh.

Yes, it's a 1999, and I believe you're correct about the Krystal Kote. Whatever it is though, isn't completely immune to Awesome+Magic Eraser. I was much more careful when I got to the upward-facing area in front, where it slopes down from the roof edge--but that section took an incredible amount of scrubbing to get the spots off. It now looks fine from a few feet away, but up close the thinning of the coating is quite noticeable. That area's definitely getting a regular application of wax in the future to help protect what's left.

Regarding the original dismaying dribbles, I believe it was mainah who mentioned somewhere that Krylon Fusion Gloss White is a pretty close match to the original finish, and I'm pleased to report that it is indeed. After several very very light coats, that area looks fine.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:05 PM   #25

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Yes, it's a 1999, and I believe you're correct about the Krystal Kote. Whatever it is though, isn't completely immune to Awesome+Magic Eraser. I was much more careful when I got to the upward-facing area in front, where it slopes down from the roof edge--but that section took an incredible amount of scrubbing to get the spots off. It now looks fine from a few feet away, but up close the thinning of the coating is quite noticeable. That area's definitely getting a regular application of wax in the future to help protect what's left.
I've found a similar thing happened with my '97, below a window. Washed the whole trailer in the same method you used, rinsed very well, and all looked fine. The streak issue seemed to occur after, as it was drying.

I also have some spots on that upper front section where tree sap really tortured the paint. I got the sap off, but goof off happily took all the paint with it too. I touched up with the Fusion too, but I need to put a couple more coats on to blend it in. The good part is, unless you use some really strong stuff (like acetone straight I think), you aren't going to hurt the Krystal Kote. Once you respray, the texture still appears uniform.

I think the Krystal Kote areas are a little tougher to take the Awesome/magic eraser combo, but they seem to streak easier like we've found. The non-KK areas, aka the center area with the striping, are easier to rub through with the Mr. Clean eraser, Awesome or not.

I know the owner's manual has said you don't have to wax Krystal Kote, and I hadn't for a while. But, last year I decided to polish and wax it to see if it would help reduce the number of black streaks reoccurring. After just taking the cover off from winter yesterday, I have to say, it did make a big difference. The trailer is definitely dirty but it should clean up easily.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:59 PM   #26

SUN #9247
enormiss is an unknown quantity at this point
So that wet&forget had me interested. Bought some to try out on the house and camper. Guess I’ll be the test dummy as I sprayed the two camper sides I had access to and several places around the house.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C015AAE5-FC06-4AB6-A2E6-FC971DD05816.jpg (97.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg C408A42B-66E4-4838-AA48-8FDC71459000.jpg (84.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg D006D313-D9CB-4E6D-8E53-B4F5F372D375.jpg (74.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 04-22-2019, 04:19 PM   #27

SUN #9247
I better defend the condition of my camper, it gets little sun! The sun is blocked by large pine trees behind/overtop and the front faces northerly. It was scrubbed with "awesome" year before last and it came up very clean. This time around I was just looking for less elbow grease.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:50 PM   #28

SUN #89
I used it on my vinyl siding and concrete at prior house. It really works. Spray in on, has to be the exact right ratio of product to water, Do not make it stronger as they say that does not help.

It takes some time though. Maybe a few days to kill the mold, then turn it crusty and then the rain makes it fall off. Wet and Forget truly. Just don't be in a hurry. In may case a few weeks went by and when I looked, all the mold was totally gone. I think if you let it sit on the camper for a day or so, feel it, if crusty, then a hose rinse may knock it right off.

Some have reported using it on old gravestones that were solid green. A few weeks later they were amazed, they were back to stone gray instead of stone green.

Please report back the findings.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:18 PM   #29

SUN #9247
It's been a month and here's some updated pics. Results didn't take a month, it started working almost immediately, looked good in 24hrs. Still needs a cleaning but it got rid of mold and algae without lifting a finger. I'm impressed and if it keeps it mold and algae free for anything close to a year even more impressed. Not same view as original but you get the idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190522_144550715.jpg (93.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190522_144608855_PORTRAIT.jpg (72.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 05-22-2019, 09:25 PM   #30

SUN #89
Here are some of your before pics so we can compare. I would say, WOW!