Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #1

SUN #3935
j2cool is an unknown quantity at this point
ER Electric Brake Switch

Any suggestion on how to check this? I was told to I may only have to replace the cable for around $6 but I do not know how check the parts is speaking of or where those parts are.

*See the comments below the image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camper brake box close up.jpg (154.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2012-06-29 at 11.39.47 AM.jpg (48.0 KB, 8 views)

Old 06-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Hook it up pull the cord and see if it locks the wheels you don't need to go very far. The only thing I can say is some times the plastic is very brittle and may brake. The new complete assembly is only about $15 cable and all.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #3

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
All that rust would make me want to change it out, good or bad. Never know if the insides will be there when you need them so new is better.
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
I agree with Jim... Change it out.. They are relatively cheap...

CLICKY

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #5

SUN #3935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bev-2363 View Post
All that rust would make me want to change it out, good or bad. Never know if the insides will be there when you need them so new is better.
Excellent point, Jim and ED Driver. Is it hard to do? Is there a diagram or video (on YouTube) showing how it should be done? Where would I buy the replacement; Camping World or some other RV retailer?
Old 06-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2cool View Post
Where would I buy the replacement; Camping World or some other RV retailer?
Click the link in my post....

To change it, you first need to disconnect the battery negative terminal and make sure you aren't connected to shore (120v) power.

Cut the wires reasonably close to the old switch. Take the bolt out, that is holding the old one to the frame. Attach the new switch to the frame and use the correct size butt connectors (Should be the blue ones) You should also use heat shrink tubing on the connections. Once everything is hooked up and looking like a professional installation, hook the battery terminal back up.

Grab a cold drink of your choice (I prefer Kitty's iced tea!) and admire your fine work!

Old 06-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #7

SUN #3935
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post

To change it, you first need to disconnect the battery negative terminal and make sure you aren't connected to shore (120v) power.

Cut the wires reasonably close to the old switch. Take the bolt out, that is holding the old one to the frame. Attach the new switch to the frame and use the correct size butt connectors (Should be the blue ones) You should also use heat shrink tubing on the connections. Once everything is hooked up and looking like a professional installation, hook the battery terminal back up.

Grab a cold drink of your choice (I prefer Kitty's iced tea!) and admire your fine work!
When you say battery, you mean the one that would normally sit on the tongue near the LP tank somewhere, right. There would not be one any place other than the battery charger/power converter inside. If you mean the one near the LP. I don't even have one yet. I had mentioned this before so there is no battery to disconnection from, if that's the case there. Also what is "connect shore".
Old 06-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
I forgot you had no battery yet. Shore power is the 120v power that you plug into at the campground. Sorry for not being around much... Work is super busy! As of today, I have 35 hours of overtime...

We had some severe storms come through a couple of hours ago. Kitty and I are in our Sunny, with the generator running for power. They are saying we could be without power for days!

Old 06-30-2012, 05:51 AM   #9

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I forgot you had no battery yet. Shore power is the 120v power that you plug into at the campground. Sorry for not being around much... Work is super busy! As of today, I have 35 hours of overtime...

We had some severe storms come through a couple of hours ago. Kitty and I are in our Sunny, with the generator running for power. They are saying we could be without power for days!

What better place to stay?????
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:10 AM   #10

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
When you say battery, you mean the one that would normally sit on the tongue near the LP tank somewhere, right. There would not be one any place other than the battery charger/power converter inside. If you mean the one near the LP. I don't even have one yet. I had mentioned this before so there is no battery to disconnection from, if that's the case there. Also what is "connect shore".
The emergency brakes will not work if you have no camper battery. Shore power means being "plugged in" to an outlet. There are exceptions to test the brakes but at some point you'll need a battery so if you install it first then you'll have some thing to test it with.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #11

SUN #3935
Quote:

I did not notice the link before. I did not even notice the word "clicky". I am use to seeing an underlined web address for an active link. I think I might of notice it more if it said, "Click Me" or something. I had to back looking for it but I did manage to find it.

Thank you. I will try and order it today and get to working on it.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #12

SUN #3935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy & Nana View Post
What better place to stay?????
I hope the power will not be out too long. I had gone through a similar situation this past winter during a snow storm which made it a lot harder for us. We did not even have the camper at the time and our stove, although gas, has an electric starter so we had no power or any way to eat for a long while. I can completely empathize with your situation and pray for a quick resolve. I guess in retrospect, it make me think I should that much quicker to get mines road ready even if I do not have tow vehicle in case something like that happens again to us. We live in area that can easily suffer the same fate.

God speed to you and your wife, Poppy & Nana.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #13

SUN #3935
Trailer Breakaway Switch Installation - YouTube

While the part maybe different and it is being attached to a horse trailer, I think the basic concept of the install remains the same. So I have found and posted a video for visual reference for anyone else that may need or want to replace their ER Electrical Brake Switch.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #14

SUN #93
Quote:
I hope the power will not be out too long. I had gone through a similar situation this past winter during a snow storm which made it a lot harder for us. We did not even have the camper at the time and our stove, although gas, has an electric starter so we had no power or any way to eat for a long while. I can completely empathize with your situation and pray for a quick resolve. I guess in retrospect, it make me think I should that much quicker to get mines road ready even if I do not have tow vehicle in case something like that happens again to us. We live in area that can easily suffer the same fate.

Do you realize that even with the electronic starter - you can turn the gas on and lite it with a match????
We loved our 2007 T-2499
Old 06-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #15

SUN #3935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy & Nana View Post
Do you realize that even with the electronic starter - you can turn the gas on and lite it with a match????
We tried, it did not work.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #16

SUN #3575
Musikaldave is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry to hear about the power situation there. I hope things work out for you guys okay. Last October we had a freak storm come through here and knocked out power for days. I had the generator going with extension cords all over the house for light etc. We boiled water on the camping stove to take baths in and because it took so long to heat the water for the baths we shared it. At least you have each other and that's what matters most. It's the trials of life that make us smarter and stronger! God bless you guys! Stay safe!
Old 06-30-2012, 11:38 PM   #17

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
BTW, it's usually Kathy posting on here, I think...
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #18

SUN #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
BTW, it's usually Kathy posting on here, I think...
Yup it is - the 'ole guy doesn't touch a computer!!!!

We loved our 2007 T-2499