Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-31-2008, 01:08 PM   #1

SUN #503
sdsferraro
Send a message via Yahoo to sdsferraro
Electrical problems...

I have an electrical problem that I am trying to figure out. I have 1990 Starray, I bought it used, so I have been listening to everyone and fixing little things getting ready for the first sign of spring. My problem is mostly interior lights. All the lights work except the 2 light in the bathroom, the 1 outside the batroom door, 2 over the gaucho, and possibly the exterior light (might not be turning on the right switch). Also, not getting power to the fridge. I have read a post on the fridge board being 12V, so I will check that. I have pulled all the lights out to make sure they are connected and everything is fine. All the other lights and outlets are working. I have checked breakers and checked the 1 GFCI plug. Any thoughts that I might have missed? Shouldn't all the lights be on the same circuit? I would pull my hair out, but don't have that much left. Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts!

Danny

Old 01-31-2008, 03:51 PM   #2

SUN #349
OPIE is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a similar problem. It turned out a previous owner had re-wired much of the trailer. The original schematics were useless. Plus there were in-line fuses everywhere. I had to trace every light and appliance that ran on 12v and re-rewire half of them.

Good luck.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:47 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Danny

I do not know your exact TT, however most of the 12 volts system do debug the same way.

On the newer models the 12 volts circuit are split by area of the camper. My non slide camper, 2004 T2499 has 7 total circuits. They are not all on 1 circuit. I looked up the 1990 brochure and even back then the Sunlines where very nice had the same styles things in them of the year 200 and forward models. BTW which Star-ray model do you have?

And yes the fridges does operate on 12 volts if you have the normal camper ones. Even if it has an electric option, the circuit boards and gas section still run on 12 VDC.

Your lights and fridge that do not work could all be on the same circuit that is not working.

The basics to track this down is a process of elimination.

Does your TT have a chart in the Power converter box on which fuse is for which area?

The newer charts look like this.

Out of the 7 fused circuit the lights are on 3 separate fuses. Your could be similar or not. But I would think it at least has 2 lighting circuits. And the fridge cold be on one of those lighting circuits as it does not take much power.

Do you have a digi camera? If you can take a pic of the inside of your converter and the circuit tag I can help point you where to look better

First, check all fuses, if all are OK, then the next step is a process of elimination which circuit does not work.

By removing 1 fuse at a time, you can back into which one work and which does not. The does not one, we have to dig deeper into.

Tell us some more on your camper converter system and maybe we can help tell you better where to dig.

If you are going to dig, do you have a volt/ohm meter? Or a 12 volt test light?

Before I type a long windy what to do, it would help if we knew better what you had.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:52 AM   #4

SUN #503
sdsferraro
Send a message via Yahoo to sdsferraro
Hi John,
I will get some pics tonight and try to post them. After reading some other post, I thought I would need to check the convertor box fuses. My Starray model is T-274. And yes I have a volt meter to check. I don't remember seeing a chart by the fuses, but I will check again. Also, I will check in the build book that was still in the trailer.

Thanks again!