Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-26-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Electric tongue jack ramblings and questions

When we got the T-320SR home yesterday, the first order of business was to replace tongue jacks. Kitty has kept the same old electric one for years and just swaps it, when she gets another TT.

Just as I was starting the swap, it started raining... I really wanted to get the job done, so I kept on working. After getting the jack bolt finally out of their rusty holes, I removed the manual jack. When I got the electric one in, I put anti-seize on the bolts and drew them down tight. I then hooked the hot wire to the battery and started to raise the tongue... Or, so I thought....

There was a horrible grinding sound, coming from the jack's gear box and no movement of the jack shaft. Please keep in mind, that it was still raining...

I decided not to mess with it in the rain and put the manual jack back on. I have NEVER cranked a trailer jack so much, as I did yesterday!

I didn't pay attention to the MFR. or model of her jack.. I just wanted it out of my sight.. I don't want to mess with it, if there are no longer parts available..

Would anyone have any recommendations, on a replacement?

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:54 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
When you find the name of the old one let us know. This may point to something some one can help with.

Now if you make it to the point of new. Atwood 3500 ball screw power jack. I have had mine now 3 years and I'm now lifting a 1,400# tongue and the back of the truck. After using one that big on the big camper, I would never go back to anything smaller.

When I bought the T310 it had a 2,000# HK engineering on it. I had the Atwood on the T2499 and swapped. The HK actually unscrewed it self on the big camper. It doesn't on the small camper but did on the big one. If I did not hurry up and let the scissor jacks down the tongue kept dropping . And now I moved it and about 5 uses later it makes a noise I think like Kittys.... I took it apart and greased the gears in the head and it helped but it still can get into that ossicaltion of like it is coming apart. have not made it back to it.

To sell the T2499, if the new owner wants a power jack I'll have to buy then a new one or they take a price break and get their own or I give them the old hand crank one.

If you tear into the jack, takes pics.... I tore into everything on the HK but the motor. I think the bearing in the end of the motor is going.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
The old one is a Barker Hi-torque. I have no idea of the weight rating on it, but I know it's fairly old. If I do tear into it, it will not be until next week. This week is rapidly filling up with tasks that NEED to be completed. Since tomorrow is going to be a long day at work, I will have to wait until Tuesday to get our backhoe here. I need to grade the place, where we are going to park the 320. It will not fit in the carport that was for the 2499. That carport is now my "Garage"

Kitty decided to live on the side of a hill, so the only way we will have a level spot for the 320, is if I grade a spot. We thought the site would work, but didn't realize how much distance there is between the tongue and rear axle!

One other thing... My new draw bar and hitch head should be arriving this week... I'll have to get the WD setup for my truck this week, since I'm taking the 320 camping next weekend.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:54 PM   #4

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Gary,

I too have a Barker H&H. I remember seeing Kitty's two years ago and I noted that we had the same tongue jacks. I'm not sure of the weight rating, but I know I'm exceeding it now or pretty darn close to it.

It came on my 270SR, and it didn't work very well. It sat outside for about ten years uncovered and rarely used. I tried greasing the post as the gears still had a lot of grease but it didn't do much. I took it off the 270 and put a crank jack on when I sold it because I didn't want it to fail on the new owner.

I had it sitting around and decided I would put it on the 286SR, so my grandpa decided to rebuild it. I'm not sure what he did, but I know he took it apart and cleaned it up, and the only audible comment was that it had a lot of corrosion.

I've put it on now with the intent that I'll use it until it falls apart and then I'll get an Atwood 3500. I've not had it unscrew on me...yet.

I do have a manual upstairs I can go check on if you'd like the weight rating of mine, but IDK if it's the same. Something tells me it's a 2000# if I remember right.

As for the grinding though, I think the screws under the top cover might be loose/missing.

When you remove the two screws on the sides of the black cover, carefully pull it up. Don't pull too far because the light and switch wires will pull. There should be four screws in each corner of the motor, which has yellow "P/N 17400 (+ something covered in dirt and a wire)" sticker on it. One of the screws should have a white cable attached going to the rocker switch. From what you describe, I'm guessing these aren't tight for the motor to grind on the post screw. Hopefully that's all it is and it doesn't require parts.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:29 AM   #5

SUN #856
markbrit is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a super jack problem and Barker service was amazing. They can help you troubleshoot on the phone. Great customer service.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #6

SUN #28
sunnyseagull
Hi Gary if you do have to end up replacing your jack check out the BULLDOG electric jack they are a 4000 lbs lift cap and a five year warranty there are a few on E-BAY brand new for aroung 232.00 bucks they look great and have great reviews and if I am not mistaken I think someone in the club has one anyway check them out Dan
Old 07-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyseagull
Hi Gary if you do have to end up replacing your jack check out the BULLDOG electric jack they are a 4000 lbs lift cap and a five year warranty there are a few on E-BAY brand new for aroung 232.00 bucks they look great and have great reviews and if I am not mistaken I think someone in the club has one anyway check them out Dan
We looked at several different sites and available jacks last night. I'm going to tear into this one and see if I can get her goin again first....

Old 07-28-2009, 07:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
I finally got a chance to tear into the jack this evening. As soon as I got the gearbox cover off, I saw several gear tooth tips in the grease. I'm pretty sure it isn't a good sign...

While I was in there, I also noticed that the biggest gear had a lot of side to side play in it. I realize that I had the top bearing off of it, but it still seemed excessive to me.

I'm going to look into getting a rebuild kit for it, as well as looking for a new one. I figure that us having a spare, will prevent what I'm now going through with all the cranking I've had to do.

We've only had the camper for three and a half days, but it's been moved at least 12-15 times...

Old 07-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Morning SOC,

Well, poor Gary has been cranking his arms off (I knew it was great having him around ) So last night I let him order a new Barker Hi-Power Tongue Jack with a 2500 lb rating. Also ordered was that nice big level that mounts on the front of the Sunline, and a Prodigy brake controller for his truck.

The old tongue jack that Gary is working on has been on SO many Sunlines that I'm not actually sure just how old it is, but I KNOW it's old. That is one reason I wanted to stick with the Barker brand, as it has served me so well for so many years. If it's fixable for a reasonable $$, then we'll have a spare.

Sunny now sits atop a heavily stoned & packed pad, with boards in-bedded into the stone for the tires (the boards will be getting covered with some old conveyor belt rubber). Since I am on the side of a mountain, the nose of "Sunny 320" sits VERY high to be level. SO there will have to be a cure for that, maybe hopefully get more stone to build up the front more. I want to watch how "much" uphill push our trucks have to do.

AND, now that I have 30amp power again , I have been out there installing some chrome slide out baskets in some of the bottom cabinets, and slowly going thru baskets/boxes of "stuff" to make sure it "has" to go back in. I will also have to make a trip to look for some of those plastic drawer systems for in a few of the closets to utilize the space more.

And it's SO nice to not be turning the stereo on or off every time I walk in or out of the trailer. I was always doing that in the 2499 due to where the radio was located.

Well, I better get out there (might need to "sneak" something in before Gary comes home from work )

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
We got the new Barker jack via Fedex yesterday. I got it installed this morning and it works great! We decided to stay with a Barker, since the one she already had was umpteen years old and was very reliable.

I called Barker yesterday and asked about a rebuild kit, for the old jack. I was told that I only needed an idler gear and that it was $17.95. I went ahead and ordered it and now we'll have a spare! Trust me... I cranked the manual jack enough times in a week, that I NEVER want to have to do it again!

Old 08-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #11

SUN #903
jleonard
Electric Jack

I have a Barker 2500 on my T2670. I had some trouble earlier with the switches corroding. I was able to get replacements from Barker at no charge. What I did to reduce the amount of rain getting into the motor area was purchase a small rectangular trash can at the local staples store, and I just put it over top of the jack. You can secure with a bungee if needed, but mine has never blown off, even in 60 mph winds. I just take it off when towing. I have not had any trouble since then and the unit is about 8 years old now. Cheap insurance.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:01 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
That's a great idea! Kitty made a cover for hers and it works well too..

That cover had been on the old jack for so long, that she forgot it even had lights on it..

BTW: I got the new idler gear for the Barker 2000 yesterday and installed it. Now we have a spare!

A working jack is a good thing and sorely missed, when absent!!