Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-20-2014, 06:12 AM   #1

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Door Stripping

Someone kind of answered this question before but I can't find the post.

While I'm trying to restore the color scheme of the trailer to its original theme I need to know the color(s) for the Sunline stripes. Obviously I won't be able to fins the original stripping so the next best thing is to paint these stripe. I'll be striping down the walk in door and paint that almond color let it cure for a bit and then attack each color.

I know our local automotive store (similar to your Pepboys) might have small cans of touch up but if there is a known generic color & brand that everyone uses that might help me narrow things down. The top "burgundy" and the blue are my primary targets for the is project but it would hurt to know the other colors for future projects
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0260.jpg (98.1 KB, 4 views)

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #2

SUN #6257
Well, I went down to our parts supplier and bought a can of the blue and burgundy as close a color as I could get. Rolled up my sleeves and masked everything off chipped off a lot of the old stripes and sprayed with new color.
I did the blue first, prepared to do the burgundy the following day. Pilled off the masking tape and WHAT A MESS !!! I used Frog tape too.

It turns out I resulted in two problems

1) the masking tape pulled off a pile of the old striping
2) because the aluminum surface has that dimpled effect I guess the Frog tape didn't seal as well as I anticipated. The spray paint worked its way through the dimpled area and just looked yucky.

So, I cleaned off all the striping with a nylon wheel on my cordless drill. I have now sprayed the entire door with Tremclad Recreational white, same color as that Almond we all use.

At least the door is cleaned up and I told my wife that we'll be on the look out for a couple of rolls of stripping for the door.
A major disappointment for sure but during anyone of these projects we have to accept some disappointment here and there. I'm not a body man by any means, so it's a lesson well learned.

The other thing we found, was when we were in the store I had a chip of the old stripe and a picture on my smart phone. The chip seemed to match up to the can's lid (in the store). When I sprayed the new color it didn't even come close. Obviously the old striping had faded over the years BUT...the old stripe color and new paint appeared to match. BTW That new blue was most likely very close to our blue, when new. Sad, because it's a nice color

Oh well, be patient
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0412.jpg (89.8 KB, 4 views)

Jerry & Debbie
Old 07-21-2014, 03:33 PM   #3

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
Jerry,

Welcome to the world of painting!

Spray cans have plastic caps in many cases which seldom match the paint. Painted caps aren't much better....as all paint have "lot numbers" meaning there will be tolerates between lots or batches of a color.

I would try to match the color of the stripes on the trailer rather than the door, as it will be most necessary to remove the stripes on the door. They are appliques....meaning you really won't likely be able to apply tape to them without pulling them off.

The only way you would stand a chance would be dodging the colors and that would not really work well in this case either.

I would measure the width of each stripe and make note of them. Then strip all the appliques off. Clean the base color and keep "as is" or paint with your new base color.

Then lay out and paint the lightest color. them move up to the next etc.

I will link you to one source of liquid masks. They are water based. Most best done with an airbrush setup or automotive jamb gun.

I believe some auto paint stores can custom mix colors and provide them in spray cans these days.

We (my company) have a paint booth and color match all our colors by hand.

Good luck and enjoy.

Friskets and Masks - BLICK art materials

P.S. Your trailer is looking super!
P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #4

SUN #6257
I stripped everything off the door and sanded. I then used that Tremclad Recreational White. It didn't turn out too, too bad. It looks a lot better than it was. I've given up on painting the actual stripes. If anyone knows someone that has access to rolls of original colored stripes that would be cool. I suppose I could go to a local graphic shop but maybe it's costly....dunno

I tried to edit the picture in my Canon software to rotate the picture. It worked in the software but I guess our Sunline forum picked up on the original format.

Notice the aluminum. I buffed any aluminum with a nylon brush that I put in my cordless drill. 99% of that old oxidized aluminum is pretty much shiny now. Especially those support struts found on the stone guard. I can take a pic or two of those and a pic of my nylon buffing wheel if anyone is interested. I also buffed out the supports for the awning. Not bad but not great. I've seen SOS pads do some wonders
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0413.jpg (72.2 KB, 6 views)

Jerry & Debbie
Old 07-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #5

SUN #2427
JTurner is an unknown quantity at this point
I painted my door striping. I had absolutely no luck with the frog tape, it just caused the paint to leak around the edges, like you said. The only thing that worked was the original blue painters tape, I think it's 3M brand, not the generic brand, that didn't work either. I had to really rub on it to push the tape down as hard as I could. There was just one small area on the blue that didn't take but I touched that up later with a brush.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camper 09 119 (21).jpg (47.3 KB, 9 views)
JTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:18 AM   #6

SUN #6257
That looks awesome. Maybe there's hope for me yet.

I recall you (or someone else) mentioned the use of Duplicolor. Is that what you used? And, do you have any color part numbers? When I originally bought my paint cans some of the colors were so close it was hard to tell one tint or shade from another.

Like Bunjin said I can't depend on the lid for color. I'm pretty sure we have a company near by that makes and creates spray bombs as Bunjin mentioned. Maybe after I confirm what they do I should tow the trailer there and they could exactly match on the spot.

Jerry & Debbie
Old 07-23-2014, 06:29 AM   #7

SUN #2427
Jerry - I will try to find the cans when I get home from work today so I can get the color numbers for you. It was Dupli-Color, I got it at Advance Auto, they did have a lot of colors and some of them were close in shade, but I just picked out three and got lucky. I think there was only one color of blue that was remotely close.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:51 PM   #8

SUN #5039
Jerry,

I noticed what looks like blue paint over-spray onto the red. Your doing or was that there. In any event. that blue may not be original blue.

http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/bu...67206065482658
P3 break control
Old 07-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #9

SUN #6257
That was just sloppy masking on my part knowing that I was going to paint all the stripes anyway. Then when I pulled of the masking tape some of the red striping came with it. grrrrr. I'm going to approach that project later

Jerry & Debbie
Old 07-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #10

SUN #5039
Yeah. I just backed up to the earlier picture.
P3 break control
Old 07-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #11

SUN #2427
Jerry -

After much searching I found the cans. I put things away and then forget where I put them.

The Dupli-Color paint colors are (according to the little UPC code sticker on the lids):

Red - BGM0398 Bright Red ( 81 WA8774 ) Replaces DSGM398
This is a GM color.

Blue - BGM0539 Light Blue Metallic ( 21 WA7470 ) Replaces T155
This is also a GM color.

Burgundy - BHA0959 Bordeaux Red Metallic ( R78P ) Replaces 8800959
This is a Honda color.

I had no trouble with the red and blue. The burgundy color was tricky. I tried to paint in high humidity and the finish was drying weird, it looked a lot lighter and pinkish. I had to re-do it when the humidity was lower and it turned out fine. The blue did this a little bit but not noticeably. It may be because those colors are metallic. You may want to use similar colors that are not metallic, but I couldn't find a blue other than this one that was a good match.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #12

SUN #6257
Thanks Jenny I'll be printing your post off for reference. funny tho the colors I saw in our auto store all came across same as yours Honda, GM etc.
I appreciate you going out of your way for this Lizzy will appreciate the new make up

Jerry & Debbie