Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-03-2009, 09:09 PM   #1

SUN #784
jsms264
Don't understand roof structure? w/pics...

I've read as many posts as I could find on subject of the roof and roof structure on later model Sunlines. I have no leaks, in general my new Sunline is really in excellent shape IMO. But the roof has me scratching my head. My previous TT's all had "walk on" roofs, which really meant only go there when needed and with extreme caution. On my new Sunline it's "not a walk on" roof. It looks like the EPDM is draped over the trusses with no support. I've read the posts where it was discussed as to no roof structure between the trusses and roof membrane vs a very thin panel type of ply. Mine is like a drum, or a tarp laying over the trusses. Is this how everyone else’s looks?

Sorry the pictures are not so hot, it was getting dark…not a good time for quality photographs. The second picture in particular shows how unsupported the membrane is between trusses.

I was told that the previous owner was on a seasonal site at Schroon Lake in the Adirondacks, so I think that’s why it looks "dirty", from all the pine needles and what not. The dealer told me he was up there cleaning and inspecting so those are his footprints. I have looked it over very throughly (from a ladder) and no rips, cracks, etc.... and all seems are sealed very well.

This is my first Sunline, so I guess my question is; 1) is everyone else’s roof this whimpy?, and 2) it's very easy to see the quality Sunline built into their product, so what was the philosophy behind the roofing system? Was there some technical/engineered reason for this, or was it cost cutting measures towards the end of Sunlne to help the bottom line?

2005 Sunline 264SR
2005 Chevy 1500HD 4X4 6.0 4WS
jsms264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
All my rubber roofs from '94-'07 all look just like that.

I think the main reason for the design is to cut down on weight. With a fully stick-built coach, weight needs to be cut every place possible. They used a product they called bud board under the EPDM...it's like a heavy press board, but like 1/8" thick. It's enough to give the roof flexibility but still hold the roof up. It basically is just on top of the rafters, though I believe the bud board is glued to the rafters, and the roof is glued to the bud board.

If you want to see what the bud board looks like, you might be able to see some of it by removing vent trim on a roof vent. Drop the four screws and it should reveal the roof bent down and stapled. You might be able to see a part of the bud board in the corners.

Technically your roof is a walk-on, you just need to put a piece of plywood down between the rafters first...preferably with carpet or a towel around it to prevent tears.

You are very lucky that there's no tears from the previous owner being up there. There's not that much to the roof system, like you said, so I think the age factor was the biggest help. Since the rubber is still a little more flexible, that might have prevented it from tearing like an older/not taken care of roof would.

The one good thing that Sunline did on the newer coaches, including yours, is they tapered the roof. The original ones with rubber roofs (until around '03, maybe? IDK) were just flat all around. It was a little more labor intensive to cut each rafter on a radius, but this way there's less of a chance that water will puddle on the roof, which in the end could otherwise lead to a leak.

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:51 PM   #3

SUN #784
jsms264
Thank you Sunline Fan!

Music to my ears...I truly will sleep better tonight knowing I do not have a problem but it was designed this way, it was the answer I was hoping for.

Didnt consider the weight issue, makes sense.

Actually I think I mis-spoke, I dont know if the previous ower was ever up on the roof, but the dealer for sure was for sure. He was up there getting it ready for the delivery to me as part of his prep.

Thank you again!

2005 Sunline 264SR
Old 03-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Jsms264

First off welcome and congrats on your new camper. You have a fine coach there.

I had you a nice well written post and poofff I hit the wrong key and it went, somewhere in cyber space

So here is the short version. See this post for what the roofs look like, at least in 2004,

Sunline Rubber Roof Structure

This adds to what Sunline Fan stated.

I lay a canvas down then use 2' x 4', 5/8 or 3/4 plywood on top of the canvas to service the AC and vents. Your dealer was up there walking around..... Walking around with added plywood is OK, but leaving footprints, he must of been rafter hopping. We totally advise not to do that....or else....

Sleep easy. The roof will do well, keep after the seams and joints with Dicor on any cracks in the sealent.

Hope this helps

John

PS I saw your towing post. I'll add some comments by the weekend that may be helpfull to explain some of your GM and Sunline. I had the same 6.0 x 4.10 Quadrasteer on the last TT.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:46 AM   #5

SUN #784
jsms264
Thank you JohnB!

I did not see that post. I guess I didnt research as well as I had thought!!! But that was great, I am a visual kinda guy, so the pictures really show the structure. I have a better understanding now and feel much much better. Thank you soo much for sharing/helping.

I look forward to comments on my TV/TT.

I do have to say as a sidebar....I have been a a couple of different forums very casually in the past, but they cant even compare to this forum! I am absolutly blown away not just about the level of knowledge here but have willingness to help others, in most cases total strangers. WOW you guys (and girls) and are the best!!! Thank you so much!!!

2005 Sunline 264SR
Old 03-05-2009, 10:08 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsms264

I do have to say as a sidebar....I have been a a couple of different forums very casually in the past, but they cant even compare to this forum! I am absolutly blown away not just about the level of knowledge here but have willingness to help others, in most cases total strangers. WOW you guys (and girls) and are the best!!! Thank you so much!!!
Joe, yes Sunline Club is unique. We wish the factroy was still here to see what they have created for us to enjoy. Hope you can make it to a Meet and Great some day. They are really great.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote