Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-03-2011, 04:03 AM   #1

SUN #1953
frank_a is an unknown quantity at this point
Diagrams, pics - OEM wiring Sunspot?

Boy, did I ever run into a mess when I went to install some new RV stop/tail/turn lights. The old stop/tail/turn utility lights worked, so I figured no big deal, I would wire the new ones in. Also, none of the marker lights work, so I was hoping to figure that out. I can only find one lead (tail & ground) going to the rear right marker light. That has two tail and two ground wires, while the front ones only have one, so I figure it's hopping from the back to the front. Until I hook new ones up and power the harness I don't know if any of the marker lights work, and I don't see anywhere where there's power to the left side.

You can see in this pic unfocused wiring on the left that is the wires going up to the rear right marker light. Also, you can see black & white wire in a red sheath going up in the rear right of the pic that I assume is 12v for interior lights.

I haven't tested anything yet.

Any pics of wiring junctions, diagrams with wire colors, stuff like that sure would be helpful if anyone had or can access such.

I'm leaving for the weekend soon and will be back in touch Sunday night. Thanks for ANY help!

Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiring.jpg (47.6 KB, 14 views)

Image to come as soon as I figure out how to flatten a pic!
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Frank

See this post by PoppaSmurff http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...elp-12509.html

He is going through a similar situation, maybe even worse. Both of you may be able to help each other

In these cases you are going to have to ring out each wire with a meter and start labeling. Sooner or later it is going to come to this.

Good luck

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #3

SUN #1953
I had a little time tonight to begin unraveling this puzzle John. I believe power to the only working lights (right and left turn/stop/tail) are coming out of a 4 wire rear sheath. The 4 wires in the sheath are yellow (left turn), red (right turn), brown (ground) and green (stop/tail). Brown and green may be reversed (brown for ground, green for stop/tail), I'll check on that tomorrow night. Brown and green go to both sides of course.

While wires are hooked up to a fuse panel from another sheath, I don't believe it is connected simply because I know the rear lights work from one sheath. Interestingly enough, a green lead from the powered sheath goes to the "Clearance" fuse on the fuse panel. That is the only fuse with a wire both top and bottom.

The sheath that does not appear to be hooked up also includes heavy gauge (i.e., 10) black and white. The black from the sheath has been cut off short, but the white wire was connected to white from a two wire black and white heavy gauge harness in a red sheath that runs up into the left wall of the cabin. Black from that red-covered two wire sheath goes to a fuse on the panel labeled INTER (interior?). I'm thinking there may be a connection from the sheath not used for rear lights that existed to hook a battery up front for the dome light.

I plan on re-wiring it to standard 7 wire colors, but may not get it done before the Adirondack Tearup later this week at Fish Creek campground in the northern Adirondacks. We leave Thursday a.m.

Long day today. Up at 4 at Letchworth State Park, off on my way home about 8:30, got home at 2, took a break, then did chores, finally got to work on spot a bit. More tomorrow (with any luck!).

Frank

Old 06-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I plan on re-wiring it to standard 7 wire colors, but may not get it done before the Adirondack Tearup later this week at Fish Creek campground in the northern Adirondacks. We leave Thursday a.m.

Frank
Yes I know of Fish Creek. We will be at Rollins in July right next door. I lived in NY for 32 years and never made it to the Adirondacks other then Lake George area and Frontier Town when we where kids. Now we are sort of doing an ADK trip each summer. Beautiful area.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:04 AM   #5

SUN #1953
Well, brown is the ground. Figured that out in about 15 minutes this a.m. Got stop/tail/turn working, but the only marker lights that work are when the right turn is on and they blink in sequence with the right rear light! that should allow me to track that exact marker light circuit down tonight. It does bother me that the front ones don't come on at all.

Frank

Old 06-06-2011, 04:25 AM   #6

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
I remember the first TT I bought, a 16' Shasta. Plugged it in and drove it home with all clearance lights flashing if I turned the turn signals on. Solution, don't turn signals on, LOL! Seriously though, the problem was a flakey ground.

jim
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:00 AM   #7

SUN #1953
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Yes I know of Fish Creek. We will be at Rollins in July right next door. I lived in NY for 32 years and never made it to the Adirondacks other then Lake George area and Frontier Town when we where kids. Now we are sort of doing an ADK trip each summer. Beautiful area.
Sounds good John. I grew up in Massena, but also lived in Dayton Ohio many many moons ago. We moved back top NY after gallivanting around the country for decades. Oldest son was born in Massena, middle son in Dayton, youngest son in Denver!

Gail and I have spent plenty of time hiking, climbing and camping in the Adirondacks. We didn't do fish Creek much because it was so close. We don't hike or climb much anymore, but still love to camp.

Frank

Old 06-06-2011, 05:02 AM   #8

SUN #1953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bev-2363 View Post
I remember the first TT I bought, a 16' Shasta. Plugged it in and drove it home with all clearance lights flashing if I turned the turn signals on. Solution, don't turn signals on, LOL! Seriously though, the problem was a flakey ground.

jim
Ground is the 1st thing I thought of too Jim. I'll try and track it down tonight. Probably won't get my new scissor jacks mounted this week, as my 14" cut off saw hasn't come in yet, and probably won't till Thursday, the day we take off.

Frank

Old 06-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #9

SUN #1953
I completely re-wired the trailer from the connection to the tow vehicle back to my new lights and old marker lights. What I had for leads for the marker lights were a green wire and white wire coming from the right rear. I assumed green was power and white ground. Everything works as it should with one bothersome exception - the right front marker light does not have power to it. I tested it with my 12V test light at the lamp fixture, then cut the wire to it, stripped it and tested the wire. Nothing. I then tested the light to make sure it still works, and it does just fine. I assume that means tearing apart the interior to get at it and running new wire. Bah!

I have two power and two ground at every marker light but the one that doesn't work (right front). I'm assuming power and ground feed to the right rear, cross to the left rear, run along the side to the left front, then cross to the right front. I'm assuming the power and/or ground wires crossing from left to right up front some how were shorted out. I'm going to try pulling new wire through.

Frank

Old 06-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #10

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Frank, Did you test to see where the 12V power died on the way to the light? Are you sure the wire looses power in the wall somewhere and not at a connection at the back? It might be easier to simply run new wires underneath and sneak them up to the fixture wihtout taking the inside apart.

jim
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #11

SUN #1953
Nah, dead wires up front Jim, ran new ones inside, hid them mostly under trim, can see a little, but for right now, everything is light legal. It's all been done in "draft" form, so now that it works, I have to make permanent connections, mount everything, including all new lights, marker and tail. another couple hours maybe tonight and tomorrow night. Have a few other things to do before we leave Thursday a.m., mainly chase the threads on the spring u-bolts and install new steel lock nuts. Doing great!

Frank