Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-14-2008, 04:33 PM   #1

SUN #732
rwhyne
Cracked Vinyl Siding

I've noticed two cracks forming in the siding over the rear entrance door on our 2499 - I'm looking for a good method to repair the cracks without any major replacement. I'm looking for a method to seal out moisture and also to blend in. The cracks have formed in the siding that is "pinched" by the mounting frame for the rear doorway. Any ideas would be appreciated.

rwhyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Robert,

The siding on your Sunline is aluminum, not vinyl. Now, on to the crack in the siding above the radius on your door opening. I'm guessing you have the "same, usual issue" that I & many others have.

On the top right corner of my door, you will see some "caulk" (sorry it was dirty in this pic). The recommended fix, direct from Sunline was to drill a small hole (just a tad larger than the crack itself" at the outer most end of the crack. This will prevent the crack from getting longer. After you have drilled the hole, you just caulk the crack. Since this photo was taken, I have needed to do the same treatment to the other corner of my door, and I MUST pull the dirty caulk off and put new clean caulk on. I have never been given a reason for this "splitting" just how to stop it.

The weird thing is that on the older Sunlines that had the square corner doors never seemed to have this problem.

Kitty

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:55 PM   #3

SUN #732
rwhyne
Great - Thanks for the tip. Now that I have the frame repaired I want to make sure I can fix some of the other minor problems and get as many years out of this unit as possible. Did Sunline recommend any specific type/kind of caulk for the repair?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:47 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
Robert,

Off hand I don't recall what type caulk I used, I'd have to look out in Sunny to find the tube as I'm sure that's where I have put it. I'm sure one of the guys will chime in here soon and be able to provide better inrfo.

Kitty
Old 11-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #5

SUN #732
rwhyne
Kitty,

I was reading some older posts about modifications and I came across one from you where you were talking about adding backup lights and a new rear door entry light. You mention the stress fracture in one photo and state the you used "clear" silicone to fill in the crack - I'm finding a lot of great ideas for modifications for our 2499. We talking about upgrading to a 5th wheel - even went looking today - but we both love our Sunline and now with some of these ideas I'm finding I think we'll keep her a while longer.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:51 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
Hi Robert,

Yes, I got out into Sunny when I gothome from my greyhound rescue meet n greet today. I just used clear silicone, but I am not too thrilled with it as it got sorta nasty dirty looking, got any better caulk recomendation?

My back up lights are a great addidtion, as is the additional light by the door. Now, when I have the door open in the evening, I can still see when entering/exiting the trailer.

The additional light was very easy, drill a 1/2 inch hole on the outside wall where you want to mount the light for the wires to run thru. On the inside, remove the switchplate that houses the porch and ceiling light switches. I added the new porch light to the switch of the original light. Just snake a wire from the new light fixture thru the hole, down to the hole behind the switch plate and connect it to the existing porch light. Now, If you don't want both lights to come on at the same time, you'd have to add another switch, and well one of the guys would have to tell you how to get power to the 3rd switch, as I'm not sure you could just run a jumper wire over to the new switch.

The backup lights, I had to buy new tailights with backup lights in them, remove original lights, snake a wire thru the wall to the bottom of the trailer. (I used a metal antenna from a CB and it was easier to fish it up from the bottom rather than from the top down thru the wall, You will have to poke it around as there are obstructions in the wall, mostly it appeared to be trying to get thru the insulation that caused the issue) I taped the new back up light wire (tape that sucker onto the antenna really really good) once taped up real good, gently but firmly pull the antenna rod up thru the existing hole or the wires, now you have the wires for the light fixture, so connect them to te fixture. You now need to run the backup light wire to the front of your trailer, I did this under the street side of the trailer, cable tying the wire as I went forward. When I went into the "BLACK BOX" on the front header , there was a yellow unused wire which turned out to be the backup light wire from the factory. Once the wires were connected, I plugged the truck and trailer up and YIPPEE, I now had backup lights on Sunny. Now, WHY? did I want back up lights on Sunny, well, for one thing hopefully it warns idiots, oops people behind me that the trailer will be backing up, and that is not neccessarily limited to a campground, and it does help when backing into your campsite in the dark. Clear as mud ya say? Well, I'll try to explain better if you need more info. I just love tinkering around on Sunny projects.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:45 PM   #7

SUN #597
henryj
RV Caulk

I haven't had occasion to use this stuff yet, but have heard it highly recommended. It should be at various RV dealers as well.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...e-sealant/3245

Henry

henryj is offline   Reply With Quote