Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #1

SUN #1591
GKLarson is an unknown quantity at this point
cover or not ?

Our 1950 has sat unused in driveway since our late April return from another 6 months in SW. Being away 1/2 of each yr leaves us almost too busy to use it when home. It's parked under large trees (no other option in our driveway) & was looking very grungy. I washed it this AM & while doing so remembered we'd received a cover for it from last owners. Recall mixed reviews here about their use, however. Have never used ours but dug it out of attic & it seems to be a decent quality product, much better anyway than a non-breathable plastic tarp. (For $364 I would hope it performs well ) It's distributed by Classic Accessories in Kent, WA but like most things these days, is made in China. This link will provide further info on it
RV PolyPRO 3 Travel Trailer Cover - Travel Trailer - RV

Would you use this cover on your Sunline ? The alternative is to leave it uncovered under the trees until either the cow's come home or I get a storage bldg erected, whichever occurs 1st. Would appreciate any input & reasons for your opinion. Thanx alot

Glen & Kathleen
06 4.7L Tundra
06 T-1950, our 6 months/yr traveling home
one of numerous canoes
GKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #2

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
As long as it's a cover made for trailers, I would. The discussions I've seen are about if they're necessary but they must keep dirt, branches and leaves away.

2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #3

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
I think I would use it. It looks like it has some padding on the inside of the top and enough straps to keep it from moving around and skuffing the roof corners. That link seems to indicate it is at least somewhat breathable which, as you said, can be a problem. The trees can leave quite a mess and so can the birds that frequent the trees!

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #4

SUN #1577
jbinnh is an unknown quantity at this point
Glen,
If you are truly not going to use it while home, I would definitely cover it . It looks like you would have access to get in and out for periodic inspection and even to leave the door open with screen door shut to get some air inside. I have an Adco I use for long term storage but find putting the cover on and off to be too much of a nuisance to do more than once a year.
Last week a friend and I spent 2-3 hours cleaning the rubber roof which gets filthy from tree droppings. The gutters plug and don't drain and the general mayhem needs thorough scubbing. As you probably know, the roof on our 1950's will not support walking, with some custom factory exceptions I understand, so I set up a plank system to span the across the roof from wall to wall which again is a nuisance.
When we got out of here to head south last Feb, I folded the tv antenna back on itself removing the cover. No loss as we don't use it but something to be careful of.
Best solution in my opinion is indoor storage out of the sun and elements.
Anxious to hear other opinions.
John
Old 07-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #5

SUN #151
campin'dude
I would highly recommend the use of a cover. We park our Sunline in our driveway and have used an Adco cover since 2007 when we bought it. I typically keep the cover on it from early November to mid-late March. I also cover it when we won't be using it for at least a month during the camping season. So far, the cover has kept the UV damage to the exterior plastics to a minimum (2 of the baggage door catches just recently started to crack) and all the decals still look almost good as new.

Work sucks, let's go camping!
campin'dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #6

SUN #1591
GKLarson is an unknown quantity at this point
thanx

Paul, Gene, John, Greg
Much appreciate your input. I was surprised yesterday when I 1st looked @ it to note the apparent quality of the cover we inherited. After getting the filthy roof cleaned will definitely install the cover in hopes of protecting trailer from further abuse from the elements.
Thanx again for your help & advise

Glen & Kathleen
06 4.7L Tundra
06 T-1950, our 6 months/yr traveling home
one of numerous canoes
GKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote