Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-28-2015, 04:07 PM   #1

SUN #7018
desertsun is an unknown quantity at this point
contaminated water

hi everybody, getting ready for my trip at the end of June!! I have flushed the cold and hot water line. The hot water line continuosly will run with a foamy stream and have a high odor, kind of greyesh. The cold water will do it on and off, (from clear to foamy). Any ideas?

Old 05-28-2015, 06:03 PM   #2

SUN #2366
j52wf is an unknown quantity at this point
The foam could just be air. Did you only flush the lines? They should be sanitized using a bleach solution. I believe it is 1/4 cup bleach for every 15 gallons of fresh water cspacity. Run solution through lines (hot and cold) and let stand 4 hours. Flush with clean water until bleach odor is gone.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:12 AM   #3

SUN #3259
Mellow Yellow is an unknown quantity at this point
We just sanitized ours. Be sure you don't use a bleach that has other flowery/soapy stuff in it. Use just plain bleach. They make so many variations these days you have to choose carefully.
2001 Sunline Solaris T-250 SR

Mellow Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:39 AM   #4

SUN #5443
krazedave is an unknown quantity at this point
Both hot and cold water at faucet will be foamy until your water heater is filled. The odor you have could be from your water heater. If it is not drained a couple times a year the water reacts with the metal and gets an odor. When you sanitize make sure you fill the water heater also. I drain my water heater after each use and recommend to my customer that they do it.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:19 PM   #5

SUN #7018
desertsun is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the replies, i realized yesturday that i yes, i have been running the city water threw the system for over a month, yesturday decided to use the water pump, first time using the water from the fresh water tank.

Can you pour straight bleach down the fill line? Or is there some type on concentration that has to be done?
Old 05-30-2015, 04:58 AM   #6

SUN #3259
Mellow Yellow is an unknown quantity at this point
As the member above said 1/4 cup bleach per 15 gallons of water. When we got our Sunline the tank was so filled with algae, we had to take it off and clean it out with a pressure washer and bleach it well before we installed it again and sanitized the lines.
2001 Sunline Solaris T-250 SR

Mellow Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:38 AM   #7

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a hose, cut from a old garden hose, with the swivel connection fitting on it. It is cut to reach inside the freshwater holding tank with a foot left outside the camper. I insert a funnel to make pouring easier. After pouring the bleach, full strength, thru the hose into the tank I follow with a gallon of clean water to rinse the hose..... I also use this hose to fill the tank with freshwater by connecting it with the water fill hose. I think it makes filling easier by having a smaller hose that will allow the air inside the tank to escape while filling and will allow me to let go of the hose instead of standing there until the tank is full. I can listen for the water overflowing and know to turn the water off.... I also use a shutoff valve on this fill hose to keep from dumping water while chasing back to the main valve.

Good Luck!
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:40 PM   #8

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun View Post
Can you pour straight bleach down the fill line? Or is there some type on concentration that has to be done?
I mix the bleach pre-measured into a 2 qt plastic jug, fill the jug the rest with water, mix, then pour into the tank and rinse the container 3 times.

I have a short potable water hose and a funnel.

You want to sanitize the fill pipe too so pouring the bleach solution in the fill pipe helps sanitize that fill pipe too.

After I get all sanitized and the entire system rinsed and drained, I follow this refilling with fresh water about 1/2 full. Then add 1/2 cup of baking soda mixed in warm water in the same 1/2 gallon jug and pour that in the tank just like we did the bleach and finishing filling the tank. Then flush through out the system and faucets. And then, let is sit for 3 days to 5 days, drain and refill with fresh water and head out camping.

The baking soda really helps take the high chlorine stink and taste out of the water. If not it will take several tank fulls of fresh water to get rid it the smell/taste etc of the chlorine. The baking soda tip came from the Sunline manual

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote