Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-14-2015, 01:35 PM   #1

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Coleman stove tidbit

I'm sure there are a few people that have recently bought a Coleman 2 burner propane stove. I had a problem with both burners either being on high or off, no low setting or medium. It's tough to get in touch with Coleman proper and the local service centers claim that no parts are available. (typical this day and age).

I read many reviews on several different forums and websites where they claim the same problem I had. My stove is only 2 years old and with only a few hours use. I assumed it was defective parts or poor design.
Being out of warranty I had nothing to lose.

1) I removed the two front plastic knobs (be pateint those two screws that hold the knobs in are very tight.
2) The knobs themselves are also very tight. just pry them off slowly and evenly, they WILL come off (be patient).

3) Once the knobs are off use a 1/2 inch wrench and unscrew the outer collar nuts
4) Then unscrew the two jets. Check for any dirt, usually there is none.
5) The secrete is when you reinstall the two jets, screw them in until they stop (bottom out). Don't crank them down tight. Just a nice finger snug tight should be sufficient.
6) Then replace the two collar nuts and make sure they're nice and tight. Your tight and my tight will be different so just make sure a good wrench tight without overdoing it.

Now, hook up and turn on the stove. You should now see low, medium and high. Try both burners from off to low, medium and high and off again and see how things work.

My opinion?

I think the two needle valves were NOT inserted to bottom out, when the manufacturer installed the collar nut on their end; they tightened the nut against an already open valve, hence no adjustment.

It was simply a manufacturers install problem that no one caught. I guess I lucked out. At least it works perfect on my end.

If your Coleman propane stove is OUT of warranty, you have nothing to lose. I was prepared to buy another new stove but gave it a try. Can't wipe the smile off my face. The last straw was when we decided to make some old fashioned perked coffee. The heat was on high and not adjustable so the perk kept boiling hot. WE had to hold the knob by hand at a lower setting.

disclaimer: I'm sure not all models have this problem but if you or someone you know has this problem this might be worth a look-see. It's a simple fix needing a small Philips screwdriver and a 1/2" open end wrench

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote