Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Check your tires.../ Another china bomb victim

On my way home from work today, I came up on a fifth wheel along I-81. I pulled over and offered some assistance. It was an elderly couple, that was heading to upstate New York for the summer. The man was on the phone with AAA and his wife told me they had been waiting for several hours already. I asked if they had a jack and they said no. Since I was driving the dually, I had our bottle jack, boards and a 4-way lug wrench. I got everything together and tried loosening the lug nuts. I ended up bending Kitty's 4-way lug wrench!

I came home and got my impact socket set and a breaker bar, then headed back. When I got there, the AAA ERS guy was trying to get the lug nuts off, with an electric impact wrench. It was not working. Luckily, the breaker bar worked.

The tire that disintegrated, was a GY Marathon ST. The man's spare was also a Marathon. When we put the spare on, I double checked the pressure. It was 10PSI low, so we topped it off. The man said that they were all checked, before they left Texas. He asked me if there were any RV stores nearby and I told him about the Camping World, which was 20 miles in the wrong direction. He was looking to get another tire/wheel, so he would have a spare. I just happened to have CW's phone number, in my phone's contacts.. (Gee, I wonder how that happened!) I called them and asked if they had any tires/wheels. They told me that they have people buy tires and wheels somewhere else and then put them on.

The man was none too happy, going all the way to New York without a spare. He said that he was on his fourth complete set of Marathons already. His camper was a 2009/2010 Montana. I had a spare wheel, with a brand new LT tire on it (Both gotten for free) and offered to loan it to him. He offered to buy it from me, but I didn't want to sell something I didn't have to pay for. We got it mounted under his camper and they were finally on their way.

I checked the date on his other tires (Which were bought 3 months ago) and they were made the second week of April, 2008! Here's what his trailer looked like, after we got the spare on:

What was left of the tire and wheel.. The wheel is destroyed.

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
I checked the date on his other tires (Which were bought 3 months ago) and they were made the second week of April, 2008! .....
WOW, that is sad that someone would sell him tires like that.

You were a real Good Samaritan to help him out like that.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
WOW, that is sad that someone would sell him tires like that.

You were a real Good Samaritan to help him out like that.

I couldn't believe how old those "New" tires were!

I've been helped several times before... Just passing it along..

Old 05-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #4

SUN #3392
pugman is an unknown quantity at this point
That was real nice of you to help them out . I'm getting so stresset out with all this bad tire talk on all of these rv forums on line. This tire no good that tire no good made in China made in USA what time of the year the tire was made yada yada yada. I just got my new 2003 2499 I still have not got the chance to take it out yet because all this tire talk got me freaked out .

the dealer where I got my Sunline put on new carlisle tires for me free of charge before I pick it up I thought that was great untill I read the rv forums every one saying don't trust Carlisle tires . So I order me 5 new goodyear Marathon ST now I read this. I got to stop going to these web sites and just go camping.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugman View Post
the dealer where I got my Sunline put on new carlisle tires for me free of charge before I pick it up I thought that was great untill I read the rv forums every one saying don't trust Carlisle tires . So I order me 5 new goodyear Marathon ST now I read this. I got to stop going to these web sites and just go camping.
With the 15" tires you have on the 2499, you don't have much choice. The fifth wheels mostly use 16" wheels/tires and that gives the Light Truck/Trailer tire option.

Your best bet, is to keep whatever tires you have at full sidewall pressure. In your case, it would be 65PSI. Make sure your spare is topped off and enjoy camping!

Old 05-05-2012, 07:57 AM   #6

SUN #2531
olddj1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sunline's Choice

Don't know how much they used them but Sunline put 4 Maxxis + spare on our 2003 280-SR. The tires were made about 3 months before the trailer. After 8 years and nearly 25K miles, I drove about 30 miles to get new Maxxis. The only flat on the road in all that time was from a bullet in N. Va. Yes, someone shot out the tire as we drove on VA 17. Even then the tire lost air slowly enough we spotted the leak at a rest stop and put on the spare Maxxis. (After nearly killing myself changing the tire with one of my sons I remembered we had Good Sam road service.) After a few more years one had a very slow leak and I picked up a Towmaster locally which seemed to be a good tire. I changed it for a Maxxis with the others because it didn't look like I'd get the same milage out of it. We've done a lot of traveling on this brand and never been disappointed.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #7

SUN #3151
beecrazy is an unknown quantity at this point
I just picked up two Goodyear Marathons ST205/75R15 Cs today (build dates DOT 0612). We just purchased our Sunline this fall and it had two new Goodyears and two 2005 Missions on (why would the owner only change two tires????).

Hopefully they will be fine. I will definately keep an eye on them.

Really don't have much of a choice

EMD Driver, well done
Old 05-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
One thing you don't want to use to " preserve & pretty up" your tires is ANY product that contains PETROLEUM DISTULATES. If you want to put any type of "Dressing" on your tires, use Aero 303. Have your tires inflated to MAX PSI, keep tires covered when your rig is not rolling down the road. I'm sure some of the guys will add a few more things too

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #9

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Good job Gary!!

I suspect these Marathons were too overloaded for the tires, so it's not so much the brand but the weight. A tire on a wheel with so many lugs should certainly be in the 80 PSI range. Many manufacturers these days seem to put underrated running gear under them. Chances are if they were traveling from Texas, they were pretty well loaded.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #10

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
With the 15" tires you have on the 2499, you don't have much choice. The fifth wheels mostly use 16" wheels/tires and that gives the Light Truck/Trailer tire option.

Your best bet, is to keep whatever tires you have at full sidewall pressure. In your case, it would be 65PSI. Make sure your spare is topped off and enjoy camping!

Hi Gary,

He has load range C on his T2499, 50psi max cold pressure.

And yes I do totally agree, run tham at Max cold side wall pressure. It is your first defense to help the situation along with checking pressure at the "start" of every trip.

HenryJ did do a LT conversion on his T2499. It is posted in the Towing Forum. New wheels and tires.

A good helper you are. Kudos to you for helping a fellow camper out.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote