Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-21-2010, 07:47 PM   #1

SUN #989
Ted-Thompson
Ceiling damage (1985 T1750)

Some may recall my pictures of where I had a leak in my T-1750 that had damaged the kitchen cabinets.

Well after some examination I decided that the leak had to be where the awning was joined to the roof line. After some deliberation I decided to ditch the awning, whose presence seemed ill conceived to start with. With the awning stored one window was blocked from opening, and the door would strike one of the arms when it was 90 degrees open. That caused forces to be applied to the door, even when I was cautious, that bent the frame of the door and tried to tear it off the hinges. Add to that the fact that one arm's locking mechanism wasn't working and I decided it wasn't worth it.

I removed it, and then installed a drip rail I obtained from a local RV shop. So far so good.

I then decided to tear into the rotted ceiling around the kitchen cabinets.

As you can see, quite a bit of damage, and missing insulation (?!) I didn't remove that section, it was already gone. I made cleaner cuts and removed all the debris. Then removed the old screws that had been run from ABOVE the ceiling down into the front edge of the cabinet. Screwed a few blocks of wood to the ceiling rafters to support the metal roof where the TV antenna had dented it in (creating a nice lake in a rain storm) and then installed new paneling.

It's not a seamless repair, nor as nice as some of what I've seen here, but I think it turned out well. The cabinet where the door is missing will receive a Microwave oven that I'll trim out. But this was what I managed to get done using Lowes materials. (and yes I did stuff new insulation into that open space in the ceiling)

The cabinet was re-secured using #10 screws recessed into pockets I drilled in the top of the door frames and running up into the rafters.

The seam between original luan paneling and my Masonite paneling are trimmed with a normal plastic paneling joint cut so it's only grips the Masonite, and then secured/disguised where I had to cut that to clear the rafters with wood "buttons" I made from some 2" trim molding and painted white.

While I was in there I also replaced the cabinet floor with the same paneling.

1985 T-1750 #2342
Ted-Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:14 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Ted

Good Job. Boy water damage sure can look ugly.... But you have her looking good once again.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:45 AM   #3

SUN #989
Ted-Thompson
Thanks! Amazingly the beams and studs, while stained by the water, were NOT comprimised, at least not that I could detect. Based on what I saw, I'd wager that there has been a problem ever since the awning was installed.

It looks like they pulled the original factory drip rail and slapped the "base" of the awning fabric in it's place. A metal strip similar to the drip rail but made to grip the end of the awning fabric. When I removed it, much of it was NOT stuck to the putty tape.

Add to that the fact that about the same location outside is where the roof metal just BARELY laps over the edge and it seems to have been a recipe for a nice size leak, fed by the pool that collected under the TV antenna (also removed - not that I know where in the #$*& they expected you to put a TV in here anyway... the "outlet" was over the kitchen counter where there's precious little space already)

1985 T-1750 #2342
Ted-Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:46 PM   #4

SUN #1030
paulr
Good job Ted, repair looks good. After seeing how much damage can be caused by a poorly installed awning, I think when the time comes to get one, I will put it on myself.