Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #1

SUN #1089
Mark Takacs is an unknown quantity at this point
Can't get grey water plumbing stack out

We just bought an Advancer Lite LS-25R as an upgrade to our pop-up camper. Everything has checked out great so far except a broken plumbing fitting coming from the shower to the main stack.

The trap on the shower has a threaded pipe and so does the sink (as usual) to allow me to pull up the stack and replace the broken sweeping tee fitting. The problem..........the broken sweeping tee fitting is attached to something below the floor (arrow in photo)? It will not rotate and will only lift about 1/2" and it is not free but just lifting something?
I expected it to be a free pipe just stuck down into the grey tank?
There is no access from below other than the gray tank.
I'm thinking that I need to drop the grey tank.....ug!........or break off the fitting and shove a new pipe down .....but is there something in the tank that would break loose and cause a clog.....or does this plumbing stack fitting connect to a fitting on top of the tank ......I believe the same way the drain valves do?

I hope you all have some answers for me.

Thanks
Mark

Old 05-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #2

SUN #549
frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Takacs View Post
The trap on the shower has a threaded pipe and so does the sink (as usual) to allow me to pull up the stack and replace the broken sweeping tee fitting. The problem..........the broken sweeping tee fitting is attached to something below the floor (arrow in photo)? It will not rotate and will only lift about 1/2" and it is not free but just lifting something?
I expected it to be a free pipe just stuck down into the grey tank?
There is no access from below other than the gray tank.
I'm thinking that I need to drop the grey tank.....ug!........or break off the fitting and shove a new pipe down .....but is there something in the tank that would break loose and cause a clog.....or does this plumbing stack fitting connect to a fitting on top of the tank ......I believe the same way the drain valves do?

I hope you all have some answers for me.

Thanks
Mark
Mark,

The thing below the floor is the grey tank. A fitting is attached (solvent welded) to the top of the tank to accomodate the pipe. The ones I have seen are slip fit (glued/welded) and not threaded. The only threaded connections I have seen to a tank are the 3" toilet floor flange ones. The little bit of up and down you are seeing is probably the tank top flexing.

If you try to break off that fitting, you are probably going to break the tank.

I think you have two possibilities here. I've done both of these in houses where I needed to fix something without opening up walls or tearing open floors.

First, try to acertain how much room (and pipe) you have between that sani-tee and the tank. If it's several inches, you can cut the sani tee off and simply use a coupler to attach your replacement pieces. When I was in that position I found it easiest to cut the tee flush with the floor and use a cutting wheel on a dremel tool to cut the pipe from the inside.

If there is not enough room there for a coupler fitting, you can try to salvage the pipe by removing the sani-tee. First you cut off the body of the tee leaving the "socket" intact. Then grab the dremel tool and very carefully grind away the remainder of that tee socket leaving only the short piece of pipe from the tank. Once you get close, you can finish it off by hand with sandpaper. Test fit the new tee often and only remove as much material as you have to in order to get the new tee to fit.

In any case, attach any new fittings with Black ABS cement, it is a good filler.

If any of that is not clear, let me know and I'll try to explain better.

- Frank

Old 05-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #3

SUN #1089
Mark Takacs is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
First you cut off the body of the tee leaving the "socket" intact. Then grab the dremel tool and very carefully grind away the remainder of that tee socket leaving only the short piece of pipe from the tank. Once you get close, you can finish it off by hand with sandpaper.
Frank,

This is exactly what I'm going to do!
Thanks for the input...I was not even think along this line....I figureI was going have to drop the tank or break it off and insert a free standing pipe.

Why do you think they have a solvent weld pipe here instead of threaded or just a gasket?
What would you do if you had to drop the tank? On initial inspection I was thinking the taks wer more like pans...just bottoms..no tops.
Are the tanks two pieces?

Mark
Old 06-20-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Takacs View Post
I was thinking the tanks were more like pans...just bottoms..no tops. Are the tanks two pieces?

Mark
The tanks may have been two pieces at one time, but are one-piece now. The lip around the tank, is for supporting the tank.

If you have a chance, please post pics of your progress.

Gary

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote