Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #1

SUN #3575
Musikaldave is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake Assembly

I was able to remove the wheel, drums and bearing today on the passanger side of the Saturn. It sure took a while to get to this poit but I'm glad I decided to run the coarse because I found a busted spring inside the brake assembly. Also, it was packed full of spider webs and what not. It looks like the drum, the brake assembly, the wheels and tires are all origial on this RV. I was hoping to save the brakes but I'm not sure if I will be able to. Plus, I'm not sure if I will feel comfortable taking the rig down the road on 25 year old brakes...even if there is some life left in the shoes...which totally amazed me; they're not even half way worn.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow of the whole mess so everyone can see what I'm doing.

I also wire brushed the springs, shackles and u bolts and "Thank God"; there's only surface rust on them. That's all getting new paint tomorrow since the RV Dealer is closed and I'll have to wait to get the new brake assemblys.

Evening folks!

Old 06-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #2

SUN #3575
Did some further research on this whole subject and it appears that the brake assemblies that are manufactured today won't fit the axle on the camper because the backing plate on my camper is welded on..so the "brake assembly" itself is welded on. The parts (brake shoes etc.) also appear to be unavailable.

I read on here that one guy was told he needed to replace his whole axle assembly because the axles weren't manufactured anymore, I'm not going to do that. If I need to, I am going to remove the old backing plates and weld on two new ones that will line up and bolt together with the new brake assemblies that are currently being sold.

Just wondering if I modify the axle if it will fail me at inspection. I am a "certified" welder; holding more than 7 certifcations including aluminum, steel, stainless steel, etc. I don't know if that will carry any weight.

Any thoughts?

Old 07-01-2012, 05:05 AM   #3

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dave, I don't think any inspections will cover more than if the breaks work, or not. And sometimes that might only relate to checking the lights, if inspections are even required. Where problems may come into play is if you have a accident and they determine your brakes are the cause. Then you would pay for not having proper brakes. Just go ahead and fix the brakes, make sure they will engage and say nothing during the inspections.
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
The inspection guy probably does not even know how to weld he'll just guess that's a professional job and the way it's done. You just going to grind the old welds off? Let us know how it works out mine are welded also but the backing plates are fine and so are the magnets the lining is not very thick brand new.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #5

SUN #3575
Once I find out the dimensions of the replacement assembly I can move forward with upgrading the axle. I already have a mounting plate there that measures 6"x3"x3/8" carbon steel. That's the plate at the end of the axle that's holding on the brake assembly. If the thickness of the new assembly (Outside measure) matches then we're on our way with the replacement. At that point I'll have two options;

1. Since I already have a pretty heavy mounting plate there, I can drill holes straight into that and match up the assembly and mount it on.

2. If the bolt patterns on the new assembly are greater in width 6"x3" overall, I will need to remove the old mounting plate and install a new one.

Either way, I've built axles for trailers in the past and the only real thing that matters when welding on the new mounting plates will be keeping them square and center of the axle spindle. With a small square and a level it should be a cinch.

I'm posting pictures of the old assembly.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #6

SUN #3575
So here are some pictures from my new album entitled; "Brake Assembly" you can find it on my profile. I'll be adding more as I make repairs and modifications.