Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-02-2015, 07:13 PM   #1

SUN #2366
j52wf is an unknown quantity at this point
Battery replacement

Looking for advice, please. Just returned a 10 month old size 24 Dual Purpose Exide battery to BJs as it would not hold a charge on my 2004 Sunny 2475. Converter (6000XL) putting out 13+ volts. Battery dropped 4 volts in 12 hours with only the fridge running on propane. Check light comes on for fridge and HW heater won't ignite. Status indicator on panel drops from full charge to one bar. Any recommendations for a replacement? Stay at 24 DP? Move up to 27DP? Go to something else? Best place to purchase? Don't boondock very often and have a generator when I do. Also not looking to spend a fortune. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:55 AM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Batteries have become ridiculously expensive all the little control circuits don't draw a lot of power but lights, pumps, fans and furnaces do. So if you generally plugged in or run the generator the smaller battery should be fine. I would say pretty much where ever you go your looking at a $100 for a new one just make sure they have a good warranty policy and make sure it is a deep cycle the best way to tell they will have posts that have screw threads a long with normal battery posts. I would stay away from a starting/deep cycle type just a good deep cycle a group 24 is generally in the 80-90 amp range.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:24 AM   #3

SUN #2366
That was also my thought about staying away from start/deep cycle. It seems that is all the auto stores here have in stock. Where can I get a primary deep cycle battery without going to 6 volt cart batteries? Should I just go online?
Old 06-03-2015, 10:50 AM   #4

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by j52wf View Post
That was also my thought about staying away from start/deep cycle. It seems that is all the auto stores here have in stock. Where can I get a primary deep cycle battery without going to 6 volt cart batteries? Should I just go online?

Walmart for one. Marine deep cycle. Marine stores and of course RV. Possibly Home Depot will have. Tractor Supply have deep cycle batteries. Be carefully there as they also have the dual purpose battery also.
P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:59 PM   #5

SUN #2097
Check the listing in your area for battery dealers independent shops that sell batteries they would be your best bet they know batteries. Walmart all though I refuse to grace their door does have a good return /warranty policy on their batteries bottom line there is only about 3 companies that make batteries and dozens that re brand them.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:27 PM   #6

SUN #5443
krazedave is an unknown quantity at this point
I have worked for 2 mom and pop dealers since I started in RV repair business and the only battery they would sell were Interstate HD24-DP and SRM-24. Except in the year 2007, I have had no problems with there batteries and I use one myself. There warranty is also solid. I usually do not push products. With these I do.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:41 AM   #7

SUN #2366
Thanks everyone for your input. I found out that Sam's Club sells a 12 volt golf cart deep cycle battery (GC-12) for around $200. I think I am leaning in that direction.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:01 PM   #8

SUN #2097
It is a battery that needs to be looked after. You will need to check it and add water as needed it's not a maintenance free battery plenty of amps though worth the effort.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:04 PM   #9

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by j52wf View Post
In theory you could use two 6 volt batteries in series. However, you'll have double the weight and most likely double the cost, not to mention mounting, space could be an issue. They will work but possibly not practical.

The purpose of deep cycle to protect that battery if it drains too low. If a regular car battery drains too low you could actually end up damaging the battery. For using them in a trailer, I think also they should be fine for those rainy nights you're stuck in the trailer playing cards, no electric power and you're depending on the batteries alone.
Some one else here may agree or disagree. If so, please correct my thinking. I have two liquid lead acid but I was always curious about going to AGM or deep cycle for that reason alone.

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:57 PM   #10

SUN #2097
Discharge/charge cycles in start batteries will kill them pretty quick they are short term high current where as a deep cycle will take many discharge cycles and provide a longer draw down of power. AGM batteries are a good choice but they are expensive.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:51 PM   #11

SUN #2366
I see Wal-Mart has the B-1000 and B-2200 stand-by batteries for use with sump pumps. Are these the same as a deep cycle cart battery? They are way less expensive.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:26 PM   #12

SUN #2097
Very good question I could not find any amp hour rating just says how long it will run a pump kind of nebulas with out saying how big the pump is . If they are a lot cheaper there must be a reason. 45# is a good weight meaning it probably has a fair amount of plates for it's size but it sure would be nice to see figures.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:39 PM   #13

SUN #2366
In researching more, it seems standby batteries are designed for about 5-10 deep cycle charges per year. Marine deep cycles are designed for hundreds of cycles per year. The gc-12 (12 volt golf cart battery) from Sam's Club was too big and too heavy at 90+ lbs. Also was $200. Went with a Duracell Marine deep cycle from Batteries+ for around $90. Fyi, have them fully charge the battery first. Took mine home and went to top it off with my Tender Jr. Store said maybe a few hours. 24 hours later, still charging. Took battery back and was told maybe charger bad. Bought a new one. 6 hours later, still charging. Back to store. Manager said he would put it on his charger. Took another 6 hours, much to his surprise. Manager apologized and said he learned something. He did not realize his batteries were delivered in such a low state of charge. All good now. Also returned new charger, since mine is working perfectly
Old 06-25-2015, 01:59 PM   #14

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
I tend to argue with people that claim my equipment is broken. Learned from internet technical support that service tecs first answer is to question areas they are not responsible for. I reset my internet settings many times when the problem was their modem or other hardware. shame on them. Now I Make them check their equipment before I make a change to mine. Good you have a good battery.
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:18 PM   #15

SUN #2366
Not saying we didn't have a little "back and forth" with the clerk and the manager. Lol. Especially after the fiasco with the BJ's battery. Didn't know it was defective until I needed it. Since I had the time, I just humored the manager until all was revealed and I emerged vindicated. Manager was graciously apologetic. Just a pain to make 3 trips to the store. My lesson learned: I will never again take a battery until I see the green charged light.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:07 PM   #16

SUN #2097
Those stupid green indicators (I won't say lights) really don't do much I have seen completely dead batteries with the things still green.