Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #1

SUN #864
Nancy G.
Anyone concerned about CH751 locks and keys??

We just found out that our keys fit everybody else's locks and vice versa! Sent for info on a company that sells replacement locks. Is anyone concerned about it or have you replaced your locks?? It doesn't seem like an emergency --until someone steals your sway bars or something, I suppose..... We would be interested in others' viewpoints.

Nancy G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:40 PM   #2

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Anyone concerned about CH751 locks and keys??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy G.
We just found out that our keys fit everybody else's locks and vice versa! Sent for info on a company that sells replacement locks. Is anyone concerned about it or have you replaced your locks?? It doesn't seem like an emergency --until someone steals your sway bars or something, I suppose..... We would be interested in others' viewpoints.
The CH-751 is very common way beyond the RV industry. Lots of different commercial products have CH-751's on them. Even the doors to our 64 channel tape recorders at 9-1-1 were CH-751. I carried a CH-751 on my keyring for 30 years so that I could do my job efficiently.

Especially on RV's, the construction of the doors and latches sure don't offer high (or medium or low) security. Even if you change the key/lock assembly, they can still be opened with a screwdriver in no time at all.

Best way to think of an outside compartment that has a CH-751 (or any other key) lock assembly is that it is a latch with a removable handle and nothing more. If someone really wants to get into that compartment, changing the lock from a CH-751 won't slow them down one bit. A quick lift and twist with a screwdriver and the door is open. Not even much force required.

If you have anything that you are really concerned about securing, don't store it behind a standard RV compartment door. Lock it up with something much more secure and in a more secure place.

There's an ad in Trailer Life that says: SECURITY ALERT Your RV is at risk if your storage compartment keys are CH-751. They'll sell you an identical lock assembly keyed slightly differently. That's nice, and it might stop someone who has a CH-751 from opening your compartment, but a real thief doesn't care if he/she damages your trailer because they are ripping you off anyway. The ad is nothing but a scare tactic IMHO. You aren't any safer with a different lock assembly.

You could bolt on an ugly hasp and lock the compartment with a nice Master padlock, but the flimsy construction of the rest of the door leaves you vulnerable. A screwdriver or prybar will still open it in nothing flat.

The only real value of a lock on the compartment doors is that it will greatly reduce the chance of a compartment flying open while traveling. And it will keep small children out until they learn where the key is kept.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #3

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Locks and such

I never worry about the security of our compartments. The stuff in compartments is of relative value to thieves. If they're after something it's your flat panel, computer or generator, stuff that can be resold.
Of these generators are most often stolen, proably because they're often outside.

Thiefs in campgrounds are rare, campers hardly ever steal from each other. I've only been in a campground once where theives struck, in Whitehorse, Yukon, a rather big park with a single exit. No campers were broken into. They came in the middle of the night and broke into trucks taking cameras and such, stuff on the seats of the truck.

As to real thieves if your trailer is in a vulnerable place there's really nothing to stop a thief.

Norm Milliard
Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:43 PM   #4

SUN #264
Well said, Norm.

I have a bike cable and padlock for my generator. My hitch system is secured in the truck with padlocks. Our laptop is usually with us, but we hide it in the TT when we go out without it as well as lock the TT. Same for cameras, DVD players, etc. Even then, TT's are not very secure.

As you say, thieves in campgrounds are exceedingly rare.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #5

SUN #864
Nancy G.
Thanks everybody--I guess that's one less thing we'll worry about!!
Nancy G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:34 AM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Yes I too concur, changing locks will not stop anyone that really wants in there. Actually when I get to camp one of the setup things to do is go around and unlock all the compartments doors. When I want in, I want in and don’t want to be fiddling with the key 30 times over the weekend. Plus I have a fire extinguisher in one of the outdoor cabinets that when I need it, I need it.

I do always lock them when traveling but more so they do not vibrate open and stuff come flying out.

Out of site out of mind is the best deterrent. Nothing of high dollar value to me is left out in the open regardless of where I am at.

I feel a lot safer in a campground then most other large places of public people. In a campground we are all more equal, big rig or small and anyone will help you just for asking as a general rule. And many will just show up and say, do you need some help… when they see you struggling with anything. The world today would be a better place if we all just went camping….YEH

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:39 PM   #7

SUN #28
sunnyseagull
you are so right John ! but then it would be really hard to get the nice sites so I just enjoy all the nice people already camping n Dan
Old 06-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #8

SUN #256
Bobo
I am not worried about other campers stealing items out of the compartments. What I do have a problem with is the local youths helping themselves to anything that is loose or not tied down. They occasionally steal firewood (Since I now leave the green wood in front of the pile, it has stopped) and I don't know why, the bumper plugs came up missing one day. At home, I keep all the doors locked, even when I am working on the coach. At the campgrounds, I can leave the doors unlocked or open while we are there at the site. We just lock the walk in doors when we leave. Never a problem at any campgrounds or State Parks.

Now I just hope the the local troublemakers don't read this topic and pick up on that screwdriver trick

Bobo

2001 Coleman Utah
2006 Sunline T-2499
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:45 PM   #9

SUN #264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
Now I just hope the the local troublemakers don't read this topic and pick up on that screwdriver trick
Screwdrivers are Larceny 101. We ain't teachin' 'em anything they don't already know.