Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-29-2019, 10:22 AM   #1

SUN #11156
AprilL is an unknown quantity at this point
All Gas Appliances Not Working

Hello Sunliners! My question for this thread is every gas appliance except for the stove top and oven will not light. These are the fridge, hot water heater and the furnace. As for the fridge and furnace automatic lighters you can hear them ticking but that's all that happens. Nothing lights. And the hot water heater doesn't seem to be getting any gas to it when I try to light the pilot on that. I have one almost full propane tank. I don't know if this means anything but the appliance that works, the stove top and oven, is on one side of the trailer and the 3 appliances that don't work are on the other side. Any ideas? Thanks so much!!!

Old 09-29-2019, 05:08 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Let the stove run for awhile it's probably air in the system they all interconnect and it's very low pressure.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:00 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
April,

Have you ever used all the gas appliances before? Meaning "all" of them "use" to work and now they do not? Trying to understand if this is a new problem or one that has been there since you acquired the camper.

If the extra air purge time that mainah is describing does not cure the problem, we need to dig deeper into this. We will need the make and model number of each gas appliance to help better.

As fyi, the fridge uses so little gas, that it normally is the longest to purge out the air in the lines to it.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:31 AM   #4

SUN #11156
I'll give it a purge

This is the first time I've tried any of the appliances since I bought the trailer less than a year ago. I'm just getting to know them. Thanks for the info. I will definitely run the stove as you requested. Just so I understand, by run you mean light it and let it stay lit for a while? Thanks!
Old 09-30-2019, 03:44 PM   #5

SUN #5443
krazedave is an unknown quantity at this point
Usually just lite the burners for a minute or so and that should do it.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:55 PM   #6

SUN #2097
Yeah let it run make some coffee then try the rest of the stuff.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:56 PM   #7

SUN #10986
Tinstaafl is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilL View Post
As for the fridge and furnace automatic lighters you can hear them ticking but that's all that happens. Nothing lights. And the hot water heater doesn't seem to be getting any gas to it when I try to light the pilot on that.
My water heater has that automatic lighter setup as well. It'll do the tickticktick, wait a few seconds to see if there's heat from the flame--and if not, has to be manually turned off and back on for another try.

If there's no gas in the line (which empties itself rather quickly when the bottle is turned off), it generally takes 6-8 cycles of turning it off and on before the line fills up enough for the heater to light. Same would apply to the fridge and furnace.

Point being, you may not be giving the ignition(s) enough tries/time for the gas to get there. I don't think lighting the stove and letting it run will hasten that process any. It's on a different "pipe" off the main line than the other devices are.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:15 PM   #8

SUN #11156
Okay well we did turn the fridge off and on at 15 times and prob the same for the hot water heater. I'll be over there tomorrow to give it another go.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:40 PM   #9

SUN #89
April, get the make and model numbers of the these gas appliances so we can talk more to what your issues may be.

This pic of yours from an old thread is the all gas water heater. There is no electronic relight on this, It's all manual. This one is going to be harder to gas purge air from the line as the pilot has to light before the main burner will come on. The new electronic ones open the gas burner and start sparking automatically. That burner opening is a large purge. A pilot light does not purge very much air.

The water heater model number is on the right side sticker in that pic when you drop the cover down. We can see it is an Atwood, just not the model number.

The furnace make and model number, with your camper being a 1986 model, I'm not 100% sure where the model number is. Odds are high it might be a 79 or 80 series hydroflame which has a very different outside vent/exhaust pipe then the 8500 newer series. The make model number may be inside the camper, maybe behind the furnace front cover.

The fridge, I'm going out on a limb here but Dometic has normally put the make and model on a sticker inside the fridge compartment, usually on the left side. But it might, be right sided too.

Take pics if possible, they help too. Since you have never had these 3 gas appliances working, this may be simple to get them going once we know what you have, or each has its own issues that needs to be corrected.

Also tell us, starting at the front of the camper, which gas appliance is 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th going down towards the back wall. We know you have the stove purged, but we do not know it is first in the main gas feed line or somewhere inbetween. This info helps tell us what is at least main gas line purged in relation to the stove.

Hope this helps

John

Old 10-06-2019, 03:53 PM   #10

SUN #2097
Being an 86 nothing is automatic. The water heater has to be manually lit by holding down the pilot light knob on the heater and holding a flame under the tip of the pilot once the pilot is lit then you turn the knob to on. The fridge has 2 buttons one to open the pilot light gas valve the other is to light it it snaps similar to BBQ grill. Both of the buttons water heater and the fridge pilot will have to be held in for several seconds to bleed the air from the lines before you try to light them. It's a ritual but they are pretty foolproof I like them better than the automatic ones less things to go wrong.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:49 AM   #11

SUN #11156
Hello and good morning! I purged the gas lines and the furnace did start blowing!!! Yaay! But it's not getting warm. Just blowing cold air. I let it run for about 5 to 10 minutes. I'm pretty sure the fridge started as well because it seemed like it was getting cold. I couldn't actually hear the fridge running so not sure and the air around the fridge was pretty cold the night before. So it may have been cold just from the weather being cold. I'm not going to worry about the hot water heater because we aren't going to be using it this winter. So when your standing at the trailer end facing the gas tanks first comes the hot water heater on the right, then the stove on the left, then the fridge on the right and then the furnace. Right below the fridge is a vent that blows air and the cover comes off and there are some wires and things. I'm guessing this is the furnace? I'm going over today and will take some pictures and get the makes and model numbers. Thanks guys!!!!!
Old 10-08-2019, 05:14 PM   #12

SUN #2097
The fridge makes no noise no matter if it's gas or electric there is a very small window that allows you to see the flame once it's lit the window should turn blueish. If the freezer is cold your off to a good start. The furnace firsts comes on with just the fan then you should hear a "clunk" that is the gas valve opening if it does not light it will blow cold air until you turn it off. You may have to try it a couple of times to purge the air from the lines. Once it's fired it should start and stop like a house furnace.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:02 AM   #13

SUN #11156
Sorry it took me so long to get back. Ive been very busy packing and moving. Our closing day is Nov 1st. Plus Im having trouble getting the pics onto my computer so Im attempting to post this and pics on my phone. So here goes...I purged and repurged the gas lines. Stove and stove burners all light good. The furnace blows air but still is not getting warm. In the manual it says there is an on/off valve on the motor or whatever you call it in the pic. I dont recall seeing an on/off valve unless its buried down beside it. Ill try and take a look in there today. Also, I noticed there are the numbers 1 and 2 on what look like two metal buttons on the round metal plate below the wires. It doesnt say anything about this in the manual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191020_191212.jpg (71.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20191020_191202.jpg (53.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20191020_151457.jpg (61.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20191020_151439.jpg (81.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-21-2019, 08:07 AM   #14

SUN #11156
Heres one more pic of the pipe that I think the on/off valve is supposed to be on. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191020_151509.jpg (49.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 10-21-2019, 09:50 AM   #15

SUN #11156
Im at the camper now and here are 2 more pics. One of the pipe and there is no valve and one on the opposite side of a newly discovered black button. Anyone know what this is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191021_113946.jpg (62.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20191021_113937.jpg (48.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-21-2019, 04:09 PM   #16

SUN #2097
It just runs the fan and all of the other gas stuff works there is a real good chance the control board has an issue. The other option is the fan not turning fast enough. If it is plugged in there should be enough voltage for the fan if the battery is weak maybe not. Once the fan is running after awhile you should hear a "clunk"that is the gas valve opening it then should light the burner. The original control only did this once and gave up and did nothing but blow cold air.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:28 PM   #17

SUN #11156
Ill try plugging it in. Its only running on battery power right now. I let the fan run for a couple minutes and then shut it off. And then retry.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:30 PM   #18

SUN #11156
Should there be an on /off valve somewhere?
Old 10-21-2019, 08:01 PM   #19

SUN #89
April, did you find a model number sticker on the furnace? It appears to be a 79/80 series furnace, but getting the entire model number helps tell us which features yours has.

Old 10-25-2019, 05:06 AM   #20

SUN #11156
Ok. Ill head over today and find the model number.