Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #1

SUN #5559
Finaltouch is an unknown quantity at this point
Adding Automotive CD player to Trailer

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum, My name is Dave and I live near Pittsburgh PA and I just purchased a Sunline Solaris t-225l on Friday. And not knowing that Sunline was no longer in existance AFTER my purchase kind of made me upset at first But after reading this forum, this place is great and I now feel reassured on my purchase by alot of the things discussed on this forum.

Anyhow my goal is to add a Automotive grade 12V cd player into the trailer. I have a batter on the tongue of the trailer and I think I may add another battery in parallel as long as I can find a appropriate spot for one. But the thing is that I already have a deep cell marine Battery in my Yukon tow vehicle already that I use to run my audio amps and subwoofers in the Yukon, So would I be better off Kind of making my own harness of sorts and just feeding off of the 2nd battery of the yukon? Of should I just add a 2nd battery to the trailer? Will the trailer be able to charge that alright? I do not plan to add any amps to the trailers audio system, Just a car stereo. and 4 speakers powered only by the cd player. I do realize that if I fed power from the marine battery of the yukon, It would only be operable as long as the tow vehicle was attached. and being a new trave trailer owner, I figure I will want to disconnect for sure to set up.

Also I see stckers on the ceiling of my trailer. And they say something like "Speakers wires here" But I'm not about to tear into my ceiling just to find out. But in one of the drivers side over head storage bind, their is a wooden but in the cabinet and its fill of wires, looks like a hot a ground and speaker wires. But I can not find a end to any of them. its the middle of the wires. does anyone know whats up with these stickers and these wires?

Old 08-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
The wires are in a cabinet some where mine were in the cabinet above the stove you'll just have to look around. I did not opt for the speaker in the ceiling instead used a set of computer speakers that had a sub woofer. My radio and the computer speaker only draw 8 watts so huge batteries and heavy wiring is not needed. You should have no issues running off your camper battery.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:04 AM   #3

SUN #5559
Finaltouch is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks! all done now.

Mainah, Thanks for the help. I used a 5 1/4 speaker template and proceeded to cut 5 inch holes in my ceiling. In fact in the bunk area, one of the stickers for wire location was missing. I took an educated guess and found that wire as well as the other 3. And I now have a proper 4 channel stereo all hooked up. I couldn't be happier. I guess my last question about the stereo install would be to ask where to connect the remote lead (blue wire) that tells the stereo to shut off completely after pressing the power button on the stereo. Currently the remote lead is not hooked up because its usually ran to a fused location on a vehicle that is only active when the key is turned to and or past the accessories switch of the ignition. And when the key is removed in the vehicle the radio is supposed to completely turn off. Currently the way its wired, the screen of the car stereo stays light up. I'm connected to shore power currently any way so its not going to kill the battery. But it would be nice if I could figure out where to connect the remote power lead. I'm at a loss as to where to connect it to since in the fuse panel of a travel trailer their will always be power as long as the battery is holding a charge. Anyone have any idea or suggestions as where to connect the remote lead wire?
Old 08-13-2013, 05:11 AM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Usually the blue wire is to power up things like power antennas and amp relays when the radio is switched on (it supplies power). There should be a red and a yellow wire for your radio power. Yes unless you physically turn off the radio it will not turn off because there is no way to remove power to the radio via the red wire and still retain you memories so in a camper both must be powered all the time unless you feel like adding a switch. The yellow is for the memories (should be powered all the time the red is for radio power in a car it would be tied to the key switch. The latest trend is a remote that will not turn off the radio it will only place it in stand by (dumb ideal) so the lights etc. stay on until you push the power switch.