Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #1

SUN #987
awellis3
A plumbing problem

DW and I are off to the beach for a week. I just dumped water into my tank, cut on the hot water in the bath then the galley. No problem. Cut the cold water on in the bath. No problem, lots of pressure and volume.
Cut the cold water on in the galley - problem! Water dribbles out as the pump cycles on and off as if there is a restriction somewhere in the cold water line going to the galley.
Plenty of pressure on the hot side - almost none on the cold.

I haven't water access where it's parked on the street, so I must lug 5 gal. jugs and fill the tank. Keep this in mind.

Since the pump cycles off, there can't be a leak. All is normal with the hot water. Any ideas where the Gremlin be at?

Teach

"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #2

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Teach, Did you get the drain valves closed? All of them? No water on the pavement? If no leaks are seen I'd then start tracing lines back from the galley. Maybe something was stored on top of the line? Maybe a small leak would let the pump still cycle off and on.

Hope you can find it soon.

jim

Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Just taking a guess & making a suggestion.

When you added water to your tank, how much did you add ? Was your WH still in bypass mode ? If you only added 5 or even 10 gallons, and your WH was NOT still in bypass mode, then 6+ gallons of water went into the WH tank, and the rest (approx. 4 gal) is in the lines and out the fixtures that you did get water to flow from.
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:57 PM   #4

SUN #1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyonkitty View Post
Just taking a guess & making a suggestion.

When you added water to your tank, how much did you add ? Was your WH still in bypass mode ? If you only added 5 or even 10 gallons, and your WH was NOT still in bypass mode, then 6+ gallons of water went into the WH tank, and the rest (approx. 4 gal) is in the lines and out the fixtures that you did get water to flow from.
Since Teach didn't say how much water he hauled it is very possible the pump is starving for more water.

jim
Old 04-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #5

SUN #987
awellis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bev-2363 View Post
Since Teach didn't say how much water he hauled it is very possible the pump is starving for more water.

jim
Rest assured, I have covered all the obvious things first. I can see the water tank when the bed is propped up and it has enough water to cover the inlet to the pump by a good 2 inches. WH has no bypass so I put in 12 gal. of water. Can't be starving for water if the hot water flows with correct pressure and volume.
Drain valves closed, no water exiting the trailer. Must be something in the line, but what? How? It worked fine in Feburary.
A puzzlement.

Teach
Old 04-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #6

SUN #549
frank
Teach,

These "rv" faucets have really small orifices at the valve base. I would start there. Shut off the water, drain the lines, remove the faucet and look into the threaded nipple and see if there's any junk in there.

While it's out you could stick the pipe ends into a bucket and flip the pump on briefly and make sure you have good full flow from both pipes. If you do, then you know the issue is in the faucet.

If it is the faucet and the clog isn't visible, most likely the easiest thing will be to replace the faucet. I can't say that rebuild kits don't exist for these plastic faucets, but I've certainly never seen one.

- Frank
Old 04-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #7

SUN #1830
Teach, I'm sure you did the obvious. That is why I put the smiley. I know it is frustrating and the beach is waiting and I hope your fix is quick and simple. A new faucet would be simple enough, wouldn't it?

I'd go to the beach with it like it is, connect their water line to the camper and see if I could dislodge anything in the line.

If that werks then all is fine. If not, your at the beach.

jim

Edited to add a story:
I worked on a engine one time that would run like new for a few minutes but once the equipment was put into service the motor would stop running. Let it sit awhile it would run again and stop. We tore everything apart to see what was wrong but in the end all equipment was fine. In a final attempt feeling frustrated and overcome I reached down into the fuel tank to check the fuel intake and there was the problem. A 4x8 index card with inspected by Ruby on it. Sitting still the card sat on the bottom of the tank. Move the vehicle and fuel movement would raise the index card to the fuel intake. My story is to say that there is no telling what is wrong until fingers are put on the index card. Hope your camper wasn't inspected by Ruby.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #8

SUN #987
awellis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bev-2363 View Post
I'd go to the beach with it like it is,
That was the plan (see below).
I will check the fixture first, thanks Frank.
Now the water line is the least of my problems. I have peripheral neuropathy and can't feel pain in my feet (it's idiopathic NP meaning the docs are clueless). A new pair of shoes rubbed all the skin off the side of my right foot and I'm under house arrest until the foot heals. I've ruined a vacation my wife has been planning for two months.
Gawd, I feel low.

Teach