Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #1

SUN #1124
wendydahle is an unknown quantity at this point
A/C fan problem

Hi,

Recently had problems with our A/C not working. Compressor ran even when unit was turned off.

Husband fixed. Wire loose in thermostat.

Returned from camping trip over Memorial Day weekend with A/C fan making noise. Kept getting louder and louder. Still worked, but noisy.

Getting ready for trip to the mountains, and in preparation, I tried to fire up the A/C, just to make sure it worked. Made a loud noise, and I turned it off quickly.

Removed the shroud on the roof to find the fan had broken one of the blades, and several of the other fan blades are close or hitting on this metal piece that holds up the motor and fan. The fan motor and blade shaft is really rusted.

Has anyone had this happen before? What can we expect? Where can we get parts, and how difficult is replacing the fan motor and blades? Will we need to do this, or do we need to replace the entire A/C unit?

My husband can't look at it until this weekend. And we live in FL where temps are supposed to be in the 90s all week, so it is not going to be easy to get a look at it either.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Wendy Dahle
Sarasota, FL
1999 Sunline Solaris

and one crazy Belgian Tervuren Shepherd who isn't happy unless he's camping!:[SIGPIC]
wendydahle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:29 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Gary and Wendy,

I have replaced the fan motor before. It is very buried deep inside the AC unit roof unit to get the motor out. That is if you have to get it out. Does the motor still work OK? If the motor works then you only need the fan blade.

There is 1 motor (double ended shaft) and 2 fan blades. One blade that looks like a propeller is outside. Like this. This is the one you see when you take the shroud off on the roof.

And there is a squirrel cage fan buried inside the unit on the other end of the shaft. Like this

I'm assuming you are talking about the outside fan. If the motor works OK, even rusted does not matter, then I would leave it in place unless the bearings are bad etc.

The outside fan is still a challenge to remove, not so much the fan itself, it is getting to it. On mine I had to lift the entire compressor and both coils as a unit up and out of the AC unit to get to the fan shaft. But again I had to pull the entire motor out you may not have to. You "might" get lucky and not have to pull the compressor and can slide the fan in from the top if there is enough room between the coil and the fan shaft end while working around all the sheet metal.

Here are some pics to show you after you get the compressor unit out what it looks like

This is an involved job if you have to pull the compressor. I do not know hubby's skill sets to know if he has the 120 VAC electric back ground or the mechanical part to dig this deep. These pics will help show you how far you have to go. If the motor needs to be replaced, that is even deeper.

In case you did not know, there are not walk on roof's. You need to put a tarp down on the rubber and then plywood 3/8 to 5/5" thick to spread out the load on the rafters. Rafters on 16" centers. Between the rafters there is no support. Sunline did make some walk on roofs, but they where special order.

This is what I use

Parts, I bought my parts here. They are in TX. They ship most anywhere in the states. RV Air Conditioner Parts for Sale - PPL Motor Homes

You can call them or dig through and order online if you know exactly what you want. A local RV dealer may also have a spare fan blade if that is all you need.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #3

SUN #1124
Thank you for all of the details. When looking through the owner's manual for information, we realized previous owners had taken out the booklet about the a/c so we don't even know the model or maker. We are assuming it is Dometic, and are hoping once inside, there will be more information.

My husband is good at fixing things, but we have to work on it outside and right not the temps here in FL are in the mid 90s. Plus getting to it could be an issue. As you said the roof is not to be walked on.

When we last had it running, it had started making a noise as though a bearing was going out. I am thinking it was because the blade was broke off already. When I tried to turn it on the other day, it made a very loud humming noise, but the fan did turn.

After I took the shroud off, I found there was a lot of play back and forth on the shaft, and several of the other fan blades hit a bracket in between the fan blades and the motor as well, so it is not a good idea to start it at this point.

I will show these pictures to my husband. He will look at it this weekend. The pictures will be a big help!!

Thank you!
and one crazy Belgian Tervuren Shepherd who isn't happy unless he's camping!:[SIGPIC]
Old 08-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #4

SUN #89
Hi Wendy,

If the motor shaft has very much up and down play,(more than 1/64" (0.015"), even half that (0.007") that is not good and the bearings are going. End play, the shaft goes back and forth, I do not have the spec however 1/32 may be OK. An 1/8" could be a problem especially if it allows the fan to hit.

In the event he has to change the motor, I'll give some more pics so he knows what he is up against and can determine to do this himself or hire it out.

Take off the front cover exposes the inside coil and blower

Looks like this

Then with the front and back shrouds off, you have to lift the entire compressor and both coils and piping out of the AC unit. Then it looks like this exposing the inside fan

Pull the fan out and it looks like this

Then the motor out. There are spacers on the motor, remember which place they go

Here is the inside of the motor and the bearing.

And here is my model motor. Note, they had an upgrade and the new PN was not the same as the old one. This may not be your fan motor, just showing it as your new one may be an updated one too.

New on left

The old one

The new one

It goes back together reversing the process.

Hope this helps

John

Old 08-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #5

SUN #1124
Perfect! Thank you!

Wendy
Old 08-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #6

SUN #1124
Turns out it was the just the fan blade. It was hitting on that bracket that holds the motor. The motor must be sagging a little. Not sure what my husband is going to do about that yet. The motor, shaft and brackers are all pretty rusted. He got the fan off, and it seems the fan motor is working. So we are off to buy the fan blade at the local rv parts store. Hopefully once replaced, the A/C will work once again!

Thank you John for all of your help! I am saving the photos in the event we have to replace the motor at a later date! The photos really helped a lot in identifying things!

Sincerely,

Wendy
Old 08-25-2014, 08:23 PM   #7

SUN #89
Wendy, Glad this worked out that easy, well so far anyway....

Stay cool!! and happy camping.

John

Tags
a/c fan blade broke, a/c problem, ac fan problem