Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #1

SUN #6622
Superchevy74 is an unknown quantity at this point
95 Solaris T-2370

Has anyone ever replaced their water pump? We had a terrible winter and evidently the antifreeze I put in it didn't hold up. All I can get is a drip of water out the cold sides of all faucets and no hot water. So I guess maybe my water heater froze and busted too.
How hard is it to replace the pump and where is the best place to get one? And is the pump located in the water tank? Thanks in advance

Old 08-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #2

SUN #6622
95 Solaris T -2370

I got my water pump fixed. Now when I turn it on the water is leaking out the right rear of the camper. Has anyone else had this problem. If so what do I need to fix it

Old 08-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #3

SUN #2366
j52wf is an unknown quantity at this point
Check to see if low point drain valves are open. Follow straight up into camper from where water is leaking. If they are closed, then check for a broken/cracked water line.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:11 PM   #4

SUN #5443
krazedave is an unknown quantity at this point
First question is, Did you drain your water heater and then use the bypass valves when you winterized the water system ? The second one is. Is your water heater in the location of where the water is leaking from under trailer ? If you don't drain the water heater and bypass it, there is enough water left in it to dilute your antifreeze to where it will cause things to burst.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:34 PM   #5

SUN #6622
Thanks for the replies I will let you know what I find. But here is how I winterized my camper last year. I drain all the tanks including the water tank. I put 5 gallon of antifreeze in and let it run thru all the faucets.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:28 AM   #6

SUN #6622
Would anyone know where I could get a schematic of where the water lines run for this camper
Old 08-13-2014, 06:00 AM   #7

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know about any schematics but the process is simple. Fresh water leaves the fresh water tank and fed by gravity to the water pump. The water pump pressurizes the water and then off to the water heater. Due to weight balance the water heater would normally be on the opposite side of the fresh water tank. At least that's the case on my T1350

At the water heater you should see two pipes usually plastic type. There should be a "TEE" fitting at the bottom of the tank. This TEE fitting allows cold fresh water to EITHER pass through and continue on to your cold water faucets and ALSO allow fresh water to enter the hot water heater. The heated water will exit out of the top of the heater to its hot water faucets.
Added to the mix is the inlet for the fresh city water service. This too would also TEE into the mix. Open up all your cupboard doors below and map things out the way you think they should work.
When I winterized mine I bypassed my hot water tank and just plain emptied it. There is a master drain plug at the bottom and access from outside of the trailer via that trap door. Mine is a plastic plug and rather large. Obviously for draining the drain-plug is on the bottom so make sure you have the fitting on the opposite and inside top of the tank open as well, so that, the tank has air to breath when draining. I just left my water tank empty and never filled it with antifreeze. BUT, I REALLY MADE SURE IT WAS EMPTY !!!!!

When you use antifreeze for trailers make sure you use RV antifreeze (the pink stuff) It's non-toxic. Using car antifreeze could kill you if the ratio is done by an overzealous person.

I usually empty my fresh water and remove the feed pipe from the fresh water tank. Then I run a line from that gallon of anti-freeze and watch for a pink water running our of each tap (hot and cold and also the pooper machine) I'll run a wee bit more than needed and that assures me that I'll have antifreeze in the black and gray water holding tanks.

I use a visual to make sure there is NO water in the fresh water tank.

This year my wife noticed a garbage type odor in the trailer. It took a while but I figured out that this odor only took place when she ran a tap. The old pink antifreeze kind a stinks after a while. I guess when I purged there must have been some residual. hence is why they recommend NON TOXIC.

We never ever use or recommend the trailer water for drinking. Washing dishes and hands and that pooper is what we using it for. For drinking we pack a couple of cases on bottle water.
Water weighs 10LBs per gallon

BTW, Anything I'm not 100% sure of, I will tag it. I'll use a piece of painter's masking tape and write on the tape what or where each pipe goes. That way if you think you might mess up , you can always return everything to its original position. I have a good memory but it's short

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:43 PM   #8

SUN #6622
It would appear as though my water heater tank has a hole in it somewhere.
So I guess tomorrow I will try and get the whole thing out and see what happens from there.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:04 AM   #9

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
If you drained the hot water tank that is enough. I'm guessing you pulled out the large plug in the tank it will leave some water in the tank but it will cause no problems if it freezes. Usually if they freeze it leaves a rather large hole not a small leak. They do rot and spring small holes in the bottom of the tank but before I would rip it out I would carefully check the plastic piping.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:15 AM   #10

SUN #6622
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
If you drained the hot water tank that is enough. I'm guessing you pulled out the large plug in the tank it will leave some water in the tank but it will cause no problems if it freezes. Usually if they freeze it leaves a rather large hole not a small leak. They do rot and spring small holes in the bottom of the tank but before I would rip it out I would carefully check the plastic piping.
I drained it and run antifreeze thru it. And evidently it was a bad batch of antifreeze because the tank is busted. It was bad.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:17 AM   #11

SUN #6622
Now I need a new tank at the least. But I may just replace the whole unit. I found one on ebay for 285 shipping included. That is the cheapest one so far I have been able to find.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #12

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
That's about the going price you could just buy a tank for about $50 less but what's the sense now you'll have new every thing. Now here is what probably happened there is a fair amount of water still in the tank when the drain plug is pulled if there is antifreeze dumped in with it probably was enough to dilute the antifreeze making the freeze point higher. If the tank is or all most full when it freezes that's when the tank bursts. A simple by pass kit will allow you to drain the tank close the valves and add antifreeze to only the lines saving 6 gallons of antifreeze.