Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #1

SUN #4405
dpangburn is an unknown quantity at this point
83' t1650 help

I need to replace the door for the hot water heater, where should i look

and all my running lights do not work, when i press the break the back passenger tail light goes out, both sides blink just fine, just one goes out when breaks are on but stays on when in park with headlights on- just wondering if there is anyone that has advice

Old 09-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
At least for the water heater door-

Atwood RV Water Heater Doors on Sale - PPL Motor Homes

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #3

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sometimes when running lights act crazy it is a bad ground between the vehicle and the trailer.
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpangburn View Post
I need to replace the door for the hot water heater, where should i look
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpangburn View Post

and all my running lights do not work, when i press the break the back passenger tail light goes out, both sides blink just fine, just one goes out when breaks are on but stays on when in park with headlights on- just wondering if there is anyone that has advice
This diagram may help
http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

From what you are describing I see this:

Quote:
and all my running lights do not work,
This tells us that rear running lights at least have a ground good enough to work part of the bulb to work. Good info

Quote:
both sides blink just fine,
H’mm this is good but does not add up to the next problem. Generally speaking the left and right directional control uses ½ the light bulb. Meaning it is a 2 element bulb with 1 element on for running lights and the other element on for brake or turning. However see note below. When you mean blink, is this from a turn signal or from the flasher in the truck to flash all tail lights?

Quote:
when i press the break the back passenger tail light goes out
Quote:
just one goes out when breaks are on but stays on when in park with headlights on
This last one is the more strange part. The head lights being on and no brakes is running lights and uses the 1 element of the bulb. So that explains this part.

You said the both sides blink, Do you mean from a turn signal or from a flasher on in the truck for all tail lights to flash/blink? Please confirm.

1. Also please confirm does only one brake light work and 1 not work?

2. Does the passenger tail light go totally dark when the brakes are pressed? Please tell us if the running light where on before you pressed the brake?.

3. Or was the running lights on and when the brake pressed the light went totally dark?

4. Try this. Turn on head lights. Now all running lights should be on including left and right tail lights. Now turn on the 4 way flasher in the truck. Tell us what happens to the rear tail lights? Both driver and passenger should pulse brighter. Then try the left and right turn signal and tell us what happens. Again with the head lights still on.

The brakes should not turn off the running lights, aka parking lights, aka tail light. The brakes should make the light brighter if the head lights are on as then both elements are on. We need to sort out what is going on with the passenger side bulb it seems.

The answer to the flasher question with the head lights on will help explain a lot, I think....

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #5

SUN #4405
dpangburn is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Problem solved!!!!!!!!!

i have figured it all out!!!!!

First i tried to address the brake lights--- i first tried to "fix" the old ones as they were a bit beat then i just decided that the heck with it i will replace them, i replaced them and all seemed great until when i pressed the brakes the lights dimmed as they were running lights, so i switched the wires around in the light and viola the brakes are working 100 percent.

then i was looking for the hidden ground to the marker lights on the top of the camper. could not find it at all, what had happened is a previous owner had installed a grounding bar and all the grounds were there. so i followed the wires back and found this wire that was unhooked by the brake lights i hooked it up to the running light wire and HOT DAMN they came on, so excited haha. Now some of them weren't working but after checking them out they just need replacement bulbs, that wire looked like it hasnt been hooked up for years based on the discoloring of the wire

WHO WOULD OF THOUGHT JUST A WIRE haha

Thank you to all who have helped me through this
Old 09-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Glad you found the problem!

The search and destroy missions can be pretty intense some times...

Thanks for reporting back. Helps a lot of folks in the future

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote