Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-12-2016, 10:57 PM   #1

SUN #4422
noralee is an unknown quantity at this point
4 of 5 electrical outlets no longer working

HELP! A few hours ago 4 of my 5 electrical outlets stopped working (Yes, that included my heater while it was 30 degrees and dropping and snowing and I didn't know I had one outlet working until after hooking up extension cords since I only tested the back end outlets). I first thought my power went out so I checked all the normal things; outdoor main power line and fuse box, internal fuse box, etc. Then I found that the converter was still running and realized that it was the outlets that were no longer working. The power was fine. 1 outlet at the front end of the camper is still working, I found out later. The other 4 do not; above the sink, backside of the fridge, inside right side of the fridge and to the left of the door on the mini counter.

I have a TT1350, 1983 and was looking for a diagram of the internal wiring for the outlets/receptacles to see where I might find what wire/s has gone bad, but could only find diagrams for the external lights/wiring. Does anyone have this?

Other ideas about what's going on? Perhaps this is something simple I don't know about yet? Electrical is my least experienced area, but I guess that will change soon. I do have a voltmeter but I don't know what to test.

Thanks for any input.

noralee

Old 02-13-2016, 03:27 AM   #2

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you try the reset on the bathroom outlet? GFI? Also reset (flip off and back on) all circuit breakers. Sometimes they can look like they are on but really be tripped to off.

Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:34 AM   #3

SUN #1830
Weather channel looks like you will get some weather. Batten down the hatches.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:24 AM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Many converters are wired directly to the power cord. It sure sounds like a tripped GFI. I doubt that you will find a 120 volt wiring diagram they generally are daisy chained through a GFI any thing near water or out side will be protected by a GFI. The GFI's in older campers are not real fond of resistive loads (heaters) and often will trip.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:10 PM   #5

SUN #4422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bev-2363 View Post
Did you try the reset on the bathroom outlet? GFI? Also reset (flip off and back on) all circuit breakers. Sometimes they can look like they are on but really be tripped to off.
i did reset all circuit breakers, only 2. i don't have a bathroom outlet, so there was no reset their. would there be a reset button somewhere else?

what is the GFI and how do I reset that?
Old 02-13-2016, 01:13 PM   #6

SUN #4422
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
Many converters are wired directly to the power cord. It sure sounds like a tripped GFI. I doubt that you will find a 120 volt wiring diagram they generally are daisy chained through a GFI any thing near water or out side will be protected by a GFI. The GFI's in older campers are not real fond of resistive loads (heaters) and often will trip.
this is my 3rd winter using an electric heater and this has never happened (remember i have just the 1350) so there's minimal electricity being used.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:32 PM   #7

SUN #4422
This is my electrical box inside the camper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0033_1.jpg (72.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 02-13-2016, 04:01 PM   #8

SUN #2097
Ok what you have there is a tandem breaker it is two breakers in one breaker slot the one on the far right is tripped pay no mind to the on/off they are both the same despite the fact the other one has no markings. That is a common trick to add a new circuit to a small box (nothing wrong with that perfectly normal) If the heater and the converter are on that circuit it most likely will trip it try another socket for the heater. Probably some one added a new circuit (outlet) along the line maybe even for a heater I did in mine.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:03 PM   #9

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Google GFI receptcle and you will notice many different styles.....there is normally a button on it somewhere in the middle - that is what you need to reset.....a GFI is usually near a water source maybe on the kitchen wall or it could be the bathroom plug.

Sorry 'can't post a pic here without saving it!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:37 PM   #10

SUN #4422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy & Nana View Post
Google GFI receptcle and you will notice many different styles.....there is normally a button on it somewhere in the middle - that is what you need to reset.....a GFI is usually near a water source maybe on the kitchen wall or it could be the bathroom plug.

Sorry 'can't post a pic here without saving it!
thanks, i understand what it is and have done that before. i have looked at each outlet in my camper including on the backside of the fridge area and do not have a GFI in here. I also looked around the fuse box and didn't see anything there either.

Is there another outlet that I don't know about? Does anyone know how to reset the GFI in a 1350?

Is there anyone else that has a 1350 that does have a GFI in the kitchen or bathroom? Perhaps PO's modified it somehow.

Is there another way to reset these receptacles without a GFI?
Old 02-14-2016, 03:57 AM   #11

SUN #1830
Sometimes the GFI is on the outside outlet. I have one in the bath and at the outside outlet. At the outlet you will see a pushbutton between the sockets. Press it in firmly to reset.

If you have no GFI then perhaps the circuit breaker has gone bad. Use the power meter to check the outlet side of the breakers. Maybe a breaker has gone bad.

I hope you were able to get power inside for the heater.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:48 AM   #12

SUN #2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by noralee View Post
thanks, i understand what it is and have done that before. i have looked at each outlet in my camper including on the backside of the fridge area and do not have a GFI in here. I also looked around the fuse box and didn't see anything there either.

Is there another outlet that I don't know about? Does anyone know how to reset the GFI in a 1350?

Is there anyone else that has a 1350 that does have a GFI in the kitchen or bathroom? Perhaps PO's modified it somehow.

Is there another way to reset these receptacles without a GFI?
Your camper maybe old enough not to have a GFI I don't know when they were required by code. But again you have 3 breakers the one on the far right is tripped.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:04 AM   #13

SUN #1830
The picture you posted about your breaker box shows a breaker that looks to be tripped. The small one all the way to the right looks to be half down compared to the one to the right of it. In my eyes.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:34 PM   #14

SUN #4422
Quote:
The picture you posted about your breaker box shows a breaker that looks to be tripped. The small one all the way to the right looks to be half down compared to the one to the right of it. In my eyes.
mainah and jim-bev, you are correct that one of the right side breakers looks tripped. 2 things:

1. i tried to reset it and it won't stay in any position except the midddle

2. from what i understand the right side breaker/s only connect to the converter
Old 02-14-2016, 01:40 PM   #15

SUN #4422
Quote:
Sometimes the GFI is on the outside outlet. I have one in the bath and at the outside outlet. At the outlet you will see a pushbutton between the sockets. Press it in firmly to reset.

If you have no GFI then perhaps the circuit breaker has gone bad. Use the power meter to check the outlet side of the breakers. Maybe a breaker has gone bad.
the only outside outlet i know of is behind the fridge and there is no GFI there.
the circuit breaker connected to the receptacles is working fine and has been reset with no change to the receptacles. so the circuit breaker would appear to functioning fine. the breaker on the right, that appears to be tripped, from what i understand it is only connected to the converter and that is also working fine (see previous post).
Old 02-14-2016, 02:41 PM   #16

SUN #4422
RESOLVED!

I decided to trip the breakers again just in case and they came on. it did seem to be the one on the right that was tripped. i had to push it all the way down first then i was able to push it back up to the on position.

i feel kind of silly here, but i had tried all the breakers before and tried to reset the one on the right. but i hadn't pushed it all the way down first so it wouldn't go up. i pushed it down but not enough. shows how much i know about electrical. glad it was something simple, would've been great if i had pushed it down far enough the other night before spending all that time outside problem solving in the snow and wind.

thanks for your help and explanations. i'm going to spend a few minutes to see what each of the three breakers go to.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:38 PM   #17

SUN #2097
If that is the case it's toast most likely it's not connected to the converter most early ones were hard wired to the main power cord so no matter what it came on when plugged in they just relayed on the power source breaker. The big box stores have tandem breakers take the old one with you and make sure the one you get has a slot that is like your old one where it connects to the blades in the box that's important or it won't plug back into the panel the manufactures caught on that people were using far cheaper breakers and changed the design. Oh yeah be sure it is unplugged first!
Old 02-14-2016, 05:37 PM   #18

SUN #1830
It is pretty common for breaker to have to be pushed to the fully OFF position and then firmly pushed to the ON position. Hope you didn't freeze before getting power back up.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:55 PM   #19

SUN #2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
If that is the case it's toast most likely it's not connected to the converter most early ones were hard wired to the main power cord so no matter what it came on when plugged in they just relayed on the power source breaker. The big box stores have tandem breakers take the old one with you and make sure the one you get has a slot that is like your old one where it connects to the blades in the box that's important or it won't plug back into the panel the manufactures caught on that people were using far cheaper breakers and changed the design. Oh yeah be sure it is unplugged first!
Sorry I missed your post glad you got it under control.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:00 PM   #20

SUN #4422
Quote:
It is pretty common for breaker to have to be pushed to the fully OFF position and then firmly pushed to the ON position. Hope you didn't freeze before getting power back up.
now i know for next time!

and thanks, mainah.