Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #1

SUN #931
scooter dyson
2003 Solaris T2499 Scunscreen (roll up awning) change

Greetings everyone, new to the forum. I wanted to know if anyone had changed their sunscreen (Just the fabric) them self? I am talking about the roll up awning

Is there a procedure/guide/instructions I can get to do this myself?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Scooter Dyson

Old 08-22-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
When you are referring to "Sunscreen" are you referring to the rollup awning that is attached to the side of the trailer? If so, telling us what make of awning(ie: A & E, Carefree) might make it a bit easier to give you some answers

Kitty

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #3

SUN #931
scooter dyson
Yes...I am talking about the roll up awning...but I'm not real sure of the make. It is the one that came on the camper when I purchased it.

I'll have to look at it to see...unfortunately the camper is park at a site near the lake we camp at and it will be a while (month) before we go back.

I will get back to you.

Thanks

Scooter Dyson
Old 08-24-2009, 02:53 PM   #4

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you have the manual? Inside there should be a page that list the manufacturer of the items installed in your TT. This may save you some time - or is there anyone at the campsite that can check for you?
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:54 AM   #5

SUN #597
henryj
I am not aware of any way to change just the fabric, which it sounds like what you want to do. This would be like trying to change the vinyl in a spring-loaded roll up window blind, only worse.

I helped my brother install an entire awning on his Titanium and that is a doable 2 person job, with 2 good step ladders. CW charges $61 to install this awning
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-awnings/7598d
and I would not do it myself for that money if one is close by--check a local RV dealer first--shipping won't be cheap either.

The awning is attached through a small channel under the gutter. A small piece of awning fabric is wrapped around a steel rod and the whole thing slides in or out from the front end--the 2499 has a gutter extension on the back that would make it hard to slide in that direction. There are also two small screws that hold the awning in place in its channel--you can see these by looking up the side of trailer.

I can't remember all the details of the install. My brother, the engineer, looked after that--I was just the the guy on the other end.

It might help if you tell us why you want to change the awning--dirty? torn? etc.? Someone might have an alternate much cheaper suggestion or fix.

I just saw this link on galaxiedriver's post so there might be a way to change just the fabric.
http://www.rv-motorhome-answers.com/...tallation.html

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:58 AM   #6

SUN #680
dkasten39828 is an unknown quantity at this point
Our awning fabric is in need of replacement also.

Previous owners did nothing to protect the top-most portion of the fabric exposed to direct sun once the awning is rolled up. The two-layer material separated in a couple of places along the upper section, allowing water to gather inside the awning fabric... much like a water balloon.

We have used repair tape to seal off much of the damaged fabric but we know replacement is needed.

The fabric CAN be replaced on your roller tube, but it's not a simple thing to do. The Camping World near us said their tech's don't like doing that replacement because the disassembly of that roller tube is complicated and there are many little parts that can and do break during the procedure. Plus you are trying to roll the new fabric onto the tube under tension, which has GOT to be hard to do correctly.

They can sell you a replacement tube, complete with new fabric.

And of course they can sell you a complete new awning.

We will be waiting until next year's tax refund arrives and THEN... we will replace the roller tube complete with new fabric. We will also see about adding some method of protecting the exposed awning material at the top of the awning when it is rolled up...
5.3 liter V8, 3.73LS, Prodigy, Hensley Arrow
2004 Sunline Solaris SE T-2499 #5527
dkasten39828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:22 AM   #7

SUN #62
rich2500
I have not done one yet but my slide awning is about due for replacement. here is a link how to replace just the material
http://www.rverscorner.com/RV_Awning_Repair.html
01 F-250 V-10 4x4 Lariat supercab SB auto 4:30 LS
draw-tite 1200# trunnion wd,friction sway control,prodigy
happy camping Rich,Maryellen,Josh and Jake
https://www.campingpa.com/
rich2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:18 AM   #8

SUN #599
Lode is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lode
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkasten39828
We will also see about adding some method of protecting the exposed awning material at the top of the awning when it is rolled up...
Rolled up awning covers are available... I'm sure if you poked around RV supply stores you'll find something to suit your exact needs.

Take care,
Lode
https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...s/Lodeline.jpg
Lode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:45 PM   #9

SUN #931
scooter dyson
Thanks everyone...not sure just yet what we'll do but I will post a reply to let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks again

Scooter Dyson