Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-22-2015, 06:19 PM   #1

SUN #6953
Darlyman is an unknown quantity at this point
2000 Solaris T-267SR ac power problems

Hello everyone.I hope you're having a better month than me. We just took our Solaris out for the first time on 09/11.Anyways,it turns out that the ac outlet in the bedroom didn't work,no power.Well before checking out the inside,I thought I would check the outside outlet just to verify it was working.It too,no ac,although we didn't use it that weekend.So I go to the dist. panel to make sure what I believe to be the right breaker to power all the outlets is on, and it was.The outlet in the bedroom and the one outside are both terminating outlets.What a surprise.I thought the outlets were made the same as residential,wrong!
To the best of my knowledge there are only 1 bathroom(it works),1 where tv sits,1 for microwave(it works), 1 behind sink/stove(it works), 1at the dining area(it works), 1 in bedroom area(not working), and 1 outside(not working).Not knowing what feeds what, its kinna hard to check.Is the ac typically ran on more than one circuit?The breaker marked (appliances/dinette) seems to be the right one for all that ARE working and might be for all.
After seeing all that, I plugged my little handy dandy circuit tester into all of the WORKING outlets and it showed positive/neutral reversed.Leaving the breakers,all the wiring looks to be correct,but where does it go next?
If someone out there has an idea about the wiring,I would sure like to be enlightened.Anyways,thanks for reading this.
Darlyman

Old 09-22-2015, 06:41 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
The usual cause when a few outlets are not working is one of the GFI outlets being tripped. My 2363 has a GFI in the bathroom and another in the "kitchen". All the outlets will be downstream from a GFI outlet. I am not familiar with the 267SR So I am not sure of the layout of yours.

If all outlets show a Hot/Neutral reversal then check the outlet that the shore power is connected to.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:23 AM   #3

SUN #6953
Thanks Gene for the quick reply. Mine too has a GFI in the bathroom and the kitchen outlets. That's the only two. Neither is tripped. The shore power was checked after seeing the first outlet with the reversal of positive/neutral. So far I'm not a huge fan of these outlets that (bite into) the jacket of the wires to make connection. Is this the normal for campers?
Old 09-23-2015, 02:24 PM   #4

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
If shore power outlet is wired correctly then I would next check the power cord connection to the 110V A/C panel. Maybe somewhere along the line the TT power cord had been replaced.

Next I would check all 110V circuit breakers to make sure they are wired right and working properly. Make sure the power in translates to power out and make sure the wiring is polarity correct.

It can be frustrating to find one problem when you are working with more than one problem. First check polarity issues and then find the outlet problem. they may be the same thing.

Good luck!
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:47 PM   #5

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
It's kind of hard to wire them wrong, if the polarity is reversed I would be having a look at your 30 amp plug it is not uncommon for people to leave them plugged in when they leave and yanking the plug off. If the plug is not molded to the cable it is suspect. All the outlets are 15 amp they are protected by a GFI. If a GFI will not reset it's either junk or it has no power. Reverse polarity can confuse a GFI. The 20 amp breaker is for the the AC unit. The camper panel is wired as a sub panel it has an isolated neutral this is a good thing because it protects you from reverse wiring. If the 30 amp plug has been replaced from the back of the plug with the round terminal facing up the green will be on the top the white on right and the black on the left.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:28 PM   #6

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlyman View Post
.... So far I'm not a huge fan of these outlets that (bite into) the jacket of the wires to make connection. Is this the normal for campers?
Yes it is common for campers because the walls are not thick enough to mount a standard box like you have in the house.

I don't like them either.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:26 AM   #7

SUN #6953
Thanks again Jim/Bev/ Mainah and Gene for the quick responses.
Jim-Bev and mainah, I decided to check out every circuit starting yesterday, after all there are only 7 outlets envolved. Circuit #6 (appliance/dinette) only powers the outlets at the sink and dinette areas with GFI at sink outlet. The sink outlet sends the ac to the dinette area then terminates there. Now I am addressing the final circuit that is powered from the converter breaker. I have taken all the wall outlets out or down respectively to find out what powers what and at the same time checking polarity. So far all have been polarity correct. When I took down the overhead outlet above the frig, I found one wire set in the ceiling not connected. I'm hoping that's the one to the bedroom outlet. If it is, I will have to get one of those outlets that you can connect from one to four wire sets to correct this. Today will be the tell tale day.
When the circuit is figured out I will then check out the 30 amp plug from end to end and verify correct connectivity. A very special thanks to you all! Maybe sometime I can be of some help to someone else myself.

Darlyman
Old 09-24-2015, 08:41 AM   #8

SUN #1830
One of the first things to do, if not already done, is to mark breakers and fuses as to where they supply. Better to do that when you have plenty of time instead of when out camping and having someone looking over your shoulder trying to hurry you along.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:20 AM   #9

SUN #6953
Eureka!, finally all problems corrected. On Saturday while tracing out every wire to every ac circuit, I have finally found out which wire set feeds every outlet on the Solaris and marked them on the white jacket. There's really only two ac circuits involving the outlets.The one that is marked kitchen/dinette, the other is fed from the 15 amp. breaker on the converter, that one supplies power to ALL the other outlets. When I was checking the wires on THAT circuit, I was lit up by a neutral shorted accidentally to the ground wire, so I knew then that my polarity tester definitely wasn't lying to me.
After the light up, I checked the shore power plug (not the molded type), and sure enough, the neutral and hot where indeed crossed, also the wire set going to the bedroom wasn't connected in the ceiling outlet. The wire set was just laying up in the ceiling.I did a continuity check on that set and it was indeed the set going to the bedroom.I don't know about other campers, but, this one has plenty of room to install (old work) boxes like the ones that Lowes sells, so I installed one at the LR outlet and one where the TV sits on top of the fridge and connected the wiring accordingly.
Again thanks to all for their replies.Maybe I can be of some assistance to someone else.
I don't know if I need to delete this post or not as I am a newby to this site.Can someone elaborate on this? I am so glad this site exists.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:48 PM   #10

SUN #2097
Good job! Question what gauge wire was the wire in the overhead?
Old 09-27-2015, 05:56 PM   #11

SUN #1830
Congrats on your search results. Another problem solved.

It will be nice to have this post in place for others when their outlets don't work. A search can show this post and your procedure to solve the problem. Only thing missing is pictures, LOLOL!

Thanks for your posts.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:04 AM   #12

SUN #6953
In answer to your question mainah, it was 14 ga.
Darlyman
Old 09-29-2015, 03:15 PM   #13

SUN #2097
OK good I had thought it may have been an AC wire #12 so your fine.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:43 PM   #14

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlyman View Post
I don't know if I need to delete this post or not as I am a newby to this site.Can someone elaborate on this? I am so glad this site exists.
Hi Darlyman,

There is no need to delete your post after a resolution is found or for much any other normal reason. All posts/replies remain intact as they can be helpful for others following along and or future members who have a problem and find your resolution.

Good hunting and glad this is behind you.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote