Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #1

SUN #4578
Split is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 1986 CONVERTER Bat out 9 volts.? LifeSpan ?

GANG,: Two weeks ago we went on a road trip for a 1986 SunLine 18 ft.. As of today I see only NINE Volts coming out of the B&W, Kokomo, Ind Converter 3230-UL Red Bat ckt for the
battery charging lug.? .Do these units have a lifespan,? can be rebuilt like a
outboard starter motor.?
. 2) The other four BLACK fuse ckts ,inside the diagram door are reading 14.2 volts. . I went out & cleaned & new GROUND Bolt on the frame.. The sellers mounted , Advanced Auto , group 27, battery is charging & holding overnight 12 Plus volts off of the Sears portable battery charger.. I am Happy Camper about that find.. Initially the water level was very low & thought I read THREE volts on my meter the 1st day.. We plugged the RV into Shore 110 v power & all the interior lights were very bright. . When Un-Plugged from house all lights went out.. Assumed my E-3 round date code sticker meant May 2003 for a 10 year old battery, I put that on my shopping list... As both 20 # LP gas cyls were also empty, it fit the condition of lazy owners . It had brand new tires soooo maybe someone used over the summer & my Advance Auto Deep marine battery is actually 2013 May purchase.
Again the converter seems to be HARD Wired into the ckt breaker box & if I drop the 15 amp lever , all the 110 volt wall outlets will go to zero also. Can unit be repaired,? or am I way pasted life span of these. / Are newer ones any better features. THANKS for discussion... I read thru the two forum threads below about battery / converter inter action,, but this 9 Volts ??

Old 11-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
There is a switch over relay inside of the charger that switches back to battery once the camper is unplugged if it does not switch your lights will not work. I'm not sure where you are checking the charge rate but regardless once plugged in you should see charging voltage at your battery and have lights. The charger is obsolete and a new modern one would be a huge upgrade to your 12 volt system. The old stuff were battery boilers, poorly regulated and light weight chargers only 3 amps or so. New ones generally start at, at least 35 amp chargers and go up.