Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #1

SUN #6754
katie is an unknown quantity at this point
1983 Sunline Roof Damage

I have a 1983 Sunline (I believe Saturn). I bought it off some gentleman in 2010. I was told it had roof damage from a tree falling on the roof and that he repaired it. However, in 2011, when getting ready for camping season I opened the door the entire ceiling in the camper caved. So long story short, I put in new insulation and a new ceiling. However I have these holes in the roof. I am curious if anyone has suggestion how to repair them, they're roughly 3'x3' or smaller, I could be off. for a quick fix that has lasted 3 years, so far... I used a product called Quick Roof. I would like a better solution to this as I'm interested in attempting to remodel. However I have a few more key issues, but this happens to be my biggest problem at this time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
If you have an 83, then assuming it is a metal roof. And is it bumpy metal or flat and smooth?

For a sound waterproof repair on flat smooth metal covering over a 3" hole, they sell Eternabond sealant tape. In various widths. EternaBond

It is used on rubber roofs but it does adhere to metal well as I have used in on aluminum edging. There is however no support in the open hole area. If you go this route I would suggest some how filling the hole with sheet metal or something as the E bond has no support structure to it.

I say smooth roof as the E bond will adhere well to the flat. If you have a bumpy metal finish, it will stick but the little air spaces in the bumps may present a problem of total bonding.

If you use the E bond, make 110% sure to read directions on prepping the surface super clean first. The wrong prep and it will not correctly adhere.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:45 PM   #3

SUN #6754
It's definitely bigger than 3 inches it's at least a 1ft x 1ft. What kind of sheet metal would I use and how would I apply it to the roof? And I'm not 100% on the roof. I have to go I where I have it parked to check out if it's wavy or flat.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #4

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
I believe you may be talking about what had been roof vents at one time. Two of them, depending on the trailer and about 14" square. One in the kitchen/living area and one in the bathroom.

Your roof...if original aluminum will be I believe a squarish or wave pattern. I will look at my 1983 in the am.

How long is your trailer? Pictures really would help here a lot.
P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #5

SUN #6754
Bunjin, no it's. Not a roof vent. I have two both intact where you stated. It's definitely big holes from a tree falling on top. I will post pictures as soon as I can. Like I said I used Quick Roof adhesive to patch it for the time being, but would love a better solution, i.e. Sheet metal or whatever can be suggested.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:32 AM   #6

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
katie,

Thanks for the verification. It's hard as well as risky to advise someone without pictures. I find it often like two ships passing in the night. Each party thinks the other is on board with them only to find out that isn't the case later on.

A possible patch material may be flashing available at Home Depot or Lowes or any building supply. It would be affixed over the hole with sheet-metal screws. A sealant would want to be placed down around the edges of the holes and then again over the patch screws and edges. JohnB has the experience in this sealant area.

When working on the roof, one needs to put down a carpet remnant and plywood to spread your weight, as the roof is not a walk on type roof.

There are threads in the archives that show many roof projects by members.

P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote