Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-14-2014, 07:33 PM   #61

SUN #6191
Skip is an unknown quantity at this point
LOL he was a rat snake that had somehow gotten in the wall. He has been relocated to the woods behind my shop. As yall can see in the background I am knee deep in tearing out the walls

Old 04-14-2014, 08:10 PM   #62

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
Boy are YOU on a adventure! Got to love those kids. Happy Birthday to you!!!

I have to say that that picture "really snakes up on you!"

P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:22 PM   #63

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post

John this thing has pieced together 3/4 screwed down over the 1/2 chipboard so as soon as the walls and ceiling are clean which should be by this weekend then I will take the floor out and clean everything up repaint all of metal and check all of the joists. I will have to replace a few and I will add some for sure. I think I am going back with 3/4 tongue and groove with liquid nails and screws if you guys think that is the best way to go. I`ll be pulling it with a diesel F-250 so a few extra pounds isn`t going to kill me. I am using 1 inch foam with foil backing between the joists and spray in foam in all the cracks. You know this forum is really nice I belong to ones for Corvettes and Antique airplanes and without exeption you always meet the nicest folks on these things. Thanks guys
Hi Skip,

Not saying no to the 3/4" just pointing out the weight of it compared the axles, springs and tires on the camper. Your F250 will have no issues towing, just the trailer tires, springs and axles might. The heads up is to keep track of where you are adding weight over the original. It will be cutting into your cargo capacity. Somewhere along the way you will need to give up weight for adding it to the floor.

I did not look your model up, it is setup on 5,500# GVWR or a 7,000#? It is amazing how weights adds up. 20# here, 15# there and soon, WOW how did it get that heavy?? I say this to myself every time I go to the scales.... I have managed to fill mine to the limit when I have to haul full fresh water to camp.

I never had experience with cypress. We did have red cedar posts in the grape vineyard, the white outer would rot away, however the red core underground was still solid after 50 years. We converted to locust as too much work dealing with the cedar. Boy that is hard wood when it dry's and the thorns....

Black walnut was out of site cost wise. Anyone having standing timber with that could get premium dollar for the log. We had 1 black walnut in front of the farm house. Red squirrels would drive us nuts...literally. One year they really got out of hand. Oh the memories.... Oak was the wood to build trailer beds out of. It handled the weather well. Strong for sure and weight a ton...

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:44 PM   #64

SUN #6191
John you are right I need to start thinking like this is an airplane restoration where every ounce counts toward short field performance. Someone once asked me what was the best way to lighten an airplane up and I replied "put the pilot on a diet". I hadn`t really thought about the springs and axles. That's why I am here you guys make me think in a different direction. As for the black walnut it was harvested by my grandfather over 100 years ago. He also left a bunch of chinaberry lumber that is absolutely beautiful it looks like a blood red oak with a really open grain. So you think if I have good floor joists and stringers 1/2 inch will be good enough. My kids know I love restoring old things so they got me this camper my wife Lynne says I will spend $10,000 restoring something I could have bought new for $7,000. Anyway it is almost nekkid now.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:58 PM   #65

SUN #6191
Well I finally got into the back corners tonight and the are pretty much gone and the floor joists are almost as bad. It looks like there was some serious leakage back there. When it was raining today I could see water leaking around the back corner on the road side. Does anyone know how to remove the corner trim and what is the best sealer to use
Old 04-15-2014, 09:30 PM   #66

SUN #89
Quote:
Well I finally got into the back corners tonight and the are pretty much gone and the floor joists are almost as bad. It looks like there was some serious leakage back there. When it was raining today I could see water leaking around the back corner on the road side. Does anyone know how to remove the corner trim and what is the best sealer to use
Skip, this post may help on the corners and siding. While that is my slide, the corners and siding comes off the same as the main camper corners. And your seal them back on like I have shown.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...age-10695.html

I was reading your update during lunch and this thought came to mind. Your floor and now wall rot. When they build the camper at the factory they build the floor then put the walls on top.

We have had folks replace the floor and the walls where still in place however they have not gutted the camper like yours is.

I'll throw a thought out there as you are not far from it now, and your a restorations are above most. How bad is the sill plate? and the floor under it?

With your shop and how much you have gutted the camper now, how much more is it to lift the camper walls up off the floor? Build up a all new floor, then put the camper back down on it. And pending how bad your wall rot is, well it does not take that much to take the siding off the bad wall and start over. If you replace several rotted wall studs, the siding was stapled to the studs. The only good way to reattach is take the siding off, and put it back on the new studs and staple it.

If you are this far into it, and you want this camper to be water tight, all the corner seals, doors, windows have to be redone. And then there is the roof seams to the side of the camper. You have not mentioned any rot up there yet.

Good luck and hope this helps

John

PS, I still think 1/2" plywood screwed and glued with a few extra floor joists in the right spots is enough.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:57 PM   #67

SUN #6191
John; the sill plates in the back are gone and I was actually thinking about that tonight. I was looking at how the siding is screwed onto the bottom and you are right I could lift the camper up and run the new flooring under the walls and set it back down. The roof rafters look pretty good with the exception of one that is rotted away from the roof vent and it is an easy fix. I am almost done with all of the ripping out and nasty work so I will finish all of the tearing out work in the next day or two and put it in the shop Friday and make plans to lift it up.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #68

SUN #6191
All is not lost after a good nights sleep and looking at things in the hard light of day, I think this isn`t going to be as bad as I first thought. The little trailer seems to have sat with the nose up for a period of time and water somehow got in and collected in the back. I can see how it was assembled and my hope is that b the weekend all of this will be replaced with new wood. There are some places where the floorpan has separated from the side wall as you can see in the pic but I have plenty of 5052 sheet aluminum in .032 which is actually a little thicker than the .025 that is there now. There are a few small corrosion holes and after I treat all of that aluminum with alodine and patch them it will be as good as new. It might look really awful now but as the say it is always darkest before the dawn and by Sunday afternoon all of this should be in fairly good shape. Hang with me guys I can always use the advice and help.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:16 PM   #69

SUN #6191
Old 04-16-2014, 02:17 PM   #70

SUN #6191
How do I post more than 1 pic at a time
Old 04-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #71

SUN #89
Quote:
How do I post more than 1 pic at a time

The trick is getting a carriage return below the 1st pic.

Try this,

Type some words,
Enter a carriage return
Enter a 2nd carriage return
Type some words

Now go back and up in the blank spaces of a carriage return insert the 1st pic. Hit a carriage return
Go into the new 2nd space and insert a pic
hit a carriage return

And keep doing that to what ever number you want within reason. The problem is how to get below the 1st inserted pic if there is no words or carriage return under the 1st pic.

Try it and see if it works for you

Old 04-17-2014, 06:34 AM   #72

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Skip...when you are finisihed with this project - I have a 69 Courgar in need of restoration.......LOL!!!!!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #73

SUN #6191
Poppy now that's funny my grand kids call me the same thing. The Cougar would be fun but it has to get in line behind a 66 El Camino a Piper Pa-12 and a 65 F-150 but since I want to take the camper with me hang gliding this fall it's on the front burner right now. I have the worlds worst case of ADD so I tend to keep 2 or 3 things going most of the time. what does the cougar have in it a 351?
Old 04-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #74

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Poppy now that's funny my grand kids call me the same thing. The Cougar would be fun but it has to get in line behind a 66 El Camino a Piper Pa-12 and a 65 F-150 but since I want to take the camper with me hang gliding this fall it's on the front burner right now. I have the worlds worst case of ADD so I tend to keep 2 or 3 things going most of the time. what does the cougar have in it a 351?

Yes I think that is what is in it - DH is @ Charlotte Ford Mustang Birthday Bash this weekend, he has already called and told me about all the "neat parts he has found" for the Cougar......someday it may get finished for our grandsons to drive!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:09 PM   #75

SUN #6191
Didn`t get much done today I made the new rear sheet metal floor but we found a really good use for the old interior. Apple Martinis and making plans!
Old 04-18-2014, 10:17 AM   #76

SUN #5039
Is that the 1750? Looks good, but kinda puts a damper on camping in it!
P3 break control
Old 04-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #77

SUN #89
Marshmallow roasting ability at 12 feet away...

Old 04-18-2014, 03:47 PM   #78

SUN #6191
That's all the old paneling PLUS the 1/4 inch plywood they had put up on top of it too. It is going to be much lighter that's for sure. They had covered the entire interior with 1/4 inch plywood the walls, floor and ceiling. I am making the repair joists for the back today and have already installed the new aluminum patch for the rear pan.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #79

SUN #5039
Yes, I know. When you get to know me a little better you may be able to know when I'm joking even when I say things with a dry and/or kinda stupid kind of way!

That said, it sure is a big and bright fire. And very photogenic!
P3 break control
Old 04-18-2014, 09:20 PM   #80

SUN #6191
LOL Bunjin I`m just glad we got to burn it last night because it has rained here solid all day long and it isn`t letting up at all. I have been making up some of the replacement wood pieces in the shop today.