Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-25-2008, 02:47 PM   #1

SUN #108
40_Acre_Mule
12 V Spotlights Over Bed

We have two 12V spotlights (reading lights?) over the bed. One burned out. When I pulled it out, the socket looked just like a standard 1156 car tail-light.
I just happened to have an LED tail-light sitting around (it didn't fit in my Harley turn signal housing). It fit right in. It is not nearly as bright, but that actually worked better, because it doesn't disturb DW if I read when she's trying to sleep. It is still bright enough to read by.
Just an option I thought I'd pass along.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:16 AM   #2

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 12 V Spotlights Over Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40_Acre_Mule
We have two 12V spotlights (reading lights?) over the bed. One burned out. When I pulled it out, the socket looked just like a standard 1156 car tail-light.
I just happened to have an LED tail-light sitting around (it didn't fit in my Harley turn signal housing). It fit right in. It is not nearly as bright, but that actually worked better, because it doesn't disturb DW if I read when she's trying to sleep. It is still bright enough to read by.
Just an option I thought I'd pass along.
I've been planning on replacing all the lights in our trailer with LEDs as the incandescent one start to fail. There are some issues with directionality with LED's that don't generally exist with incandescents so you got to do some research and get the right ones for each application. And they are still a bit expensive compared to incandescents, but that's a bit of a trade-off as they are rated at 100,000 hour life so you'd probably never replace an LED again.

One other issue is that of availability. A lot of auto parts stores still aren't stocking the common lamps in LED yet: 1156, 1157, 921, 194, and so on, let alone the various styles of directionality. There are a lot of them available on eBay and other internet sites, but again, prices are still high, and there's usually significant shipping charges.

Anyone have a good source of LED's at reasonable costs?

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:47 AM   #3

SUN #296
RPierce
I have been thinking about upgrading my interior lights to LEDs. I have been looking at these,

Here is a link to the specifications and bulb styles.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/pcblamp.htm

I was thinking a 24 LED light for the lights above the beds and go with a 36 LED for the main lighting.
I agree they are pricey but I think the trade off in savings on battery draw will be worth it in the long run. I plan on doing a few lights each year.

1994 Sunline Solaris T2670
2002 2500HD Chev D-max

https://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1...gely005pm5.jpg
RPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:23 PM   #4

SUN #492
GhettoMedic
These look promising (but expensive) the LEDs are on all sides so there is no directional problems.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12V-4...spagenameZWDVW
https://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...9/mycamper.jpg
GhettoMedic is offline   Reply With Quote