Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Truck Campers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-24-2008, 10:25 PM   #1

SUN #599
Lode is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lode
78-08 30 year anniversary limited edition

After spending one night in the 78’ truck camper I decided to start getting things repaired.

Further into the soft spots, it progressed from bad to worse as I exposed the framing.
So bad that when I pulled the siding back on both sides of the over cab bed, the whole frame came crashing down onto the garage floor... the aluminum siding and trim rails were the only thing giving it support.

I went back and forth for about a week as a stripped down the original. One day I’d have my mind set on refurbishing the camper. The next I’d be resigned to rebuild it completely. I finally made up my mind that the effort and energy would be best spent on a 100% rebuild from the ground up.

With the dilapidated 78 on my newly constructed dolly, I went to work next to it building from the ground up. I’ve been careful to keep the floor plan pretty close to the old Sunline. I did tweak the general dimensions to allow a 2” drop in height to get me under the garage opening while mounted on the truck. (I had to break off the black tank vent cap to get the original into the garage on the truck, everything else squeezed under 10’)

I immediately went with a universal frame construction method rather than the whole wall section build and scab they used @ Sunline. The volume of structural integrity is massive comparatively. It adds weight in the build but a good trade in my opinion. It does add a lot more prep and engineering time to the project, but that’s part of what makes doing projects like these enjoyable to me. The spec weight of the camper sold in 1978 was around 1350lbs. I expect to add around 500lbs to that in the reconstruction with my material selection, 2k is acceptable for my truck with no problem with gear/water. They make 08 truck camper models that tip the scales at close to 4000lbs now! For comparison my 1992 Sunline TT weighs around 3k dry and that’s a tandem axle trailer included. On top of that, I’m losing some components from the 78 design that will help offset weight, ie- gigantic front forward over cab window, LP range, fridge(for now), etc. The only adds I plan right now are a gray water holding tank(the original design drained right out the side onto the ground!) and a power converter unit.

My goal is to have a truck camper that looks the same as its 78’ original counter part with a flare of modernization. I’ll be able to use a lot of the interior hardware like drawer/cabinet pulls, lighting, cushions, etc on the new build. I’m also going to go to some length to get the exterior to match as best possible with the pin striping, marker lights etc.

A couple things I wonder if anyone could give me a better direction on…

RV windows… the original windows are pitted and a few pretty far gone, it was stored at the beach. I’m looking for a place that might a have good selection of used windows that I could get 6 matching replacements of various sizes. Brand new ones aren’t really in the budget as they run hundreds per window! This is the next step into knowing what to frame my rough openings as I build the walls and roof.

Fiberglass sheeting… while the roof is going to get done in aluminum, the material variety used on the sides on the original is far to vast and time consuming for me to sort and order then bend and form. It’s just too much work in the long run. I’m looking for somewhere that might have long sheets of fiberglass… 2 pieces roughly 14’x 8’ and 3 @ 4’x8’. Ideas?

Thanks for looking,
Take care,
Jason

Old 07-24-2008, 10:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Jason,

Her's a few links for you to checkout:

http://www.all-rite.com/

http://www.marksrv.com/8500parts.htm

http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/puresine.html

http://bart.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/rvsalvage.htm

http://bart.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/rvsalvage.htm

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/

http://rvpricebusters.com/rvparts/pr...&cat=93&page=1

Enjoy

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:53 AM   #3

SUN #599
I've been burning the midnight oil here in the shop. The roof and the cabinet section is done as well as the bed frame that's now ready to attach after my wall sections are done.(which I made into a queen instead of the double).

On a side note, anyone ever deal with Kennedy RV in Dillsburg? I'm shopping around for used windows and appliances and they indicated they have a used rv parts storage.

I'm at a lull until I know my rough opening window dimensions and furnace dimensions.

Thanks for looking.
Jason
Old 08-11-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #395
HappyCampers is an unknown quantity at this point
Jason,
I've dealt a lot with the folks at Kennedy's. I actually bought our T-295SR there a few years ago. I still buy all of my RV stuff there, inspections, and any repair work I'm not comfortable messing with. Bob and his wife sold the dealership about a year and a half ago to two local guys, Scott and Dick. Two extremely nice guys eager to help in any way. They also have one of the best RV mechanics I've ever seen, Bob Jr. If you stop by tell them Lowell Newcomer sent you.
2003 F-304SR (Last Sunline "The Big One")
1985 T-1650 (Current Sunline)
2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 HO Cummins
HappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #5

SUN #599
I'll be sure to use your referral next time I'm down that way. I stopped in and spoke to a gentleman a couple weeks ago who seemed eager to help in my search. Upon his request, I emailed a list of used parts I was seeking. I haven't gotten a return email or a phone call yet so I made arrangements otherwise to get my parts.

I'm sure it's an oversight, my cousin likes the service they provide. He goes there often to get parts for his arctic cat jet ski.

Thanks,
Take care,
Jason
https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...s/Lodeline.jpg
Lode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:11 PM   #6

SUN #668
Jason Z
Hi Jason,
I'll be following your thread closely, as I'll have some rebuilding in my future with mine. Keep up the good work,
Jason "Z"
Old 08-12-2008, 09:23 AM   #7

SUN #599
Z,
Here's the latest.

Thanks for looking.
Take care,
Jason
Old 07-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #8

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Jason

Some how I missed this post, now over 1 year ago…. I follwed you link from H2o’s post

All I can says is WOW!!!

You now rank up there with our Sunline Owners Club reconstruction artists Double WOW.

And now it dawns on me about the LodeLine 2008 truck camper, Duh!!! A Sunline converted LodeLine….. You know I actually searched the web a while ago looking for a Lodeline brand camper tryomg to figure that out….back then nothing came up. Trying it tonight I get 2 hits here back to SOC…LOL

OK since so much time has past, any updates? I’m sure to keep an eye on this post now for sure.

WOW Super great work! Keep it up.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #9

SUN #599
Thanks for the compliments John, appreciate it.

Unfortunately it's in the same state as the last picture in the series, although now it's rolled over into the corner of the shop with a ton of stuff leaning on it and stacked on top.

Wish I had more time in the day but it'll probably set until October before resuming the build. Once I do I'll be certain to post regular updates and component installations. Nearly all of the amenities are already setting on the shelves waiting to have a home in the Lodeline.

Take care,
Lode
Old 07-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #10

SUN #307
purplesuebug
John, You are not alone. I too missed this post. Jason, this is most impressive. Sorry I missed it somehow. The boat in the corner's not bad either. Thanks....................Marshall
purplesuebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:17 AM   #11

SUN #599
"The boat in the corner's not bad either. Thanks....................Marshall"

Thanks! Boating is a huge passion of mine but with what life has dealt us it's been setting for the last 2 seasons here at the house.

My floating 'Sunline'.... '00 Four Winns Vista 248

Also... I have that fridge out of the old 78 camper I'd offered to give you along with a lot of pulls, cabinet doors, hinges, etc. if you want to browse through sometime and see if it matches the Sunspot's amenities, let me know. I can take a few pics too if you'd like.

Take care,
Lode
Old 07-10-2009, 09:12 PM   #12

SUN #307
purplesuebug
I'm not proud.......................I'll take whatever you are getting rid of. That is really a beautiful boat. Hope you can get it back in the water soon. Thanks......................Marshall
purplesuebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:47 PM   #13
ted

SUN #917
ted
Thanks for your pics !!!

Hi Jason,
I just joined a litttle while ago as I was having "issues" with my 1150 truck camper. My wifes family came for a visit from Sweden and her nephew and fiance wanted to stay in the camper and I noticed one morning the front bunk area was sitting on the roof of my truck. Not a good site !!! I had no idea what to do so I found this great site and wonderful people like you that had pictures of what it looked like under that skin. With what you are doing it gave me the confidence to tackle this project and I would like to thank you for that as I was thinking it might be the end of the slide in. Of course I had a leak and it rotted the 2x2"s and the left front frame pieces. I used 1/4" aluminum angle to build a new box with bolting them every ten inches to the new wood rails along the sides of the bunk and new 2x2"s that I treated to resist moisture. I used screws instead of stalpes. Boy, did they ever use alot of them !! It was time consuming with alot of weekends but I came out pretty darn good if I may say so !!! This was the first time I had to operate on the camper and again I would like to thank you for your inspiration and letting me know that I could do this if I took my time and do it right !!! Thanks again

Best Regards,
Ted
!990 1150 Sunline 25th Anniversary Truck camper
!988 Ford F-350 Dually[/b]
Old 09-19-2009, 10:04 AM   #14

SUN #599
Ted,

Glad you got it all fixed up! It does leave a great sense of accomplishment saving the money to 'do it yourself' and at the same, knowing it's done right.

Thanks for the kind words... where there's a will, there's a way!

Take care,
Lode
Old 03-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Jason,

Did you ever get a chance to finish this project?

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote