Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-24-2008, 08:48 AM   #1

SUN #570
Chickadee
Where do you store items in your TT?

I am curious how everyone sets up their trailer. What do you store in your compartments, drawers, cupboard etc.? We have a 2553 and I'm sure I could get some great tips from all of you. Deb

Old 04-24-2008, 01:12 PM   #2

SUN #132
Makers Mark
Great question Deb,
We have been camping many years and I still have issues with the way we "store stuff" in the coach. We seem to be constaintly changing things. I will be watching this thread also for suggestions.

As far as the outside stuff, ie gas stove, tablecloths, fire place accessories, bug stuff, lantern, gas distibution post and gas hoses I use the rubbermaid lockable pak boxes and store in the TV.

I have made a long box with wheels for distribution bars and accessories storage. That makes it easy to pull out when needed. Milk crate subs for hitch storage. All also go in the TV.
MM

2015 Rockwood 2608WS (SOB)
SUN # 132
Makers Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:48 PM   #3

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Deb,

Tough, but good question. The answer is really dependent on the style of camping you do, your personal preferences, and the model trailer you have. I’m sure each answer you get here will be varied and quite different.

There's a lot of different posts within the Modification forum where various members explain and include pictures of some of the modifications they've done to improve storage. There's a lot of great ideas in these posts. Check them out.

For outside storage we use a lot of crates to keep things organized.
Cabinets we use a lot of the non-slide material to keep things from sliding.

We store items based on their usage and locate the items used most for easy accessibility.

Exterior, we put hoses and other water supplies and sewer supplies in a storage compartment near where the hook-ups are, such as a rear storage compartment. Items used for camping, such as chairs, lights, extension cords, etc. stored in a front door-side storage for easy access.

Interior in 2 Sunlines we converted the wardrobe / coat closet to have multiple shelves and used it for 1 shelf for food and other for kid’s cloths. Now that the kids aren't going with us we use it for food, paper products, etc. We also put wall hooks up in the bedroom to hang cloths, jackets, etc. when camping.

Large drawers under the dinette, one is used for pots and pans, other is used for dishtowels, etc. Dishes and cups typically located in a wall cabinet near or over the sink. Silverware typically located in a drawer that provides easy access to storing it away after washing.

We have a slide room, so we also considered accessibility of cabinets when slide is closed. We made sure we put items that we might want to access when the slide is closed are put in cabinets that are accessible when the slide is closed, such as plates, cups, etc. to use when we stop for lunch on the road.

Hope this helps.
Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #4

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea, what they said. This is where you can get inventive. Additionally we took one wardrobe and installed stacked wire baskets and put racks on the door to make it a pantry. I use a tackle box with all the little bins to store spare parts such as bulbs, fuses, clamps, nuts, bolts, etc.
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:31 AM   #5

SUN #570
Chickadee
I appreciate your suggestions. After drycamping for years, we are seasonal camping for the first time on Cape Cod. It so nice having electricity and unlimited running water!
PB & Hutch I like the idea for wire shelves in the closet. We have 3 closets in the bedroom and only need 2 now that the kids are grown. That would be a good place for beach towels and extra blankets or pillows. We did put shelves in our outside, side compartment for lanterns, tiki torch fuel, stakes, etc.
MM you had a good suggestion with the big box with wheels. We could store that under the trailer and wheel it out for easy access. That would be a great place for big items I don't use too often like the lobster pot. I was tired of chasing it all over the camper. Deb
Old 04-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #6

SUN #10
wagonman76
We basically put things wherever we can. For the outside dirty stuff like hitch parts and tools, they go in the front outside compartment under the bed. We keep a basket in the shower for the dirty laundry. Clean clothes, food, etc. gets stored in shelves up off the floor. Beds remain made so we dont have to store the blankets. When traveling, we just put the kids bikes in the trailer.

1989 Sunline Saturn T-1661
wagonman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #7

SUN #21
donreitz
This thread brings up a thought I've had for awhile: using the shower stall for storage. I don't mean for a towel or coat hung on the faucets, but for actual storage. We don't use our indoor shower, relying instead on the outdoor one or getting to an RV park from time to time and using the facilities we paid for. Has anyone converted their shower into organized storage? If so, I'd like to hear about it.
Don
donreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:32 PM   #8

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Storage

We've prepared our Sunline for a two month trip thru Labrador. We have a motorhome with plenty of storage and wondered how we'd get "everything in". We've actually ended up with a couple of empty cabinets.

The big things we did were to convert the hanging closet to a pantry, put draws in under the dinette, draws in both outside storage locations, added a trunk to the rear bumber and added a number of wooden storage spots over the windows and on the ends of cabinets providing space and organization for all the little things.

We added a little shelf in the back of the bathroom cabinet for 'things'. As well we put three plastic containers under the bed, two are empty. We converted the bunk over the gaucho couch to cabinets, both virtually empty.

We're ready for the road, the Trans-Labrador Highway that is..

Norm Milliard
1982 Sunline 15.5SB
2004 Honda CRV
Old 05-06-2008, 09:54 PM   #9

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by donreitz
This thread brings up a thought I've had for awhile: using the shower stall for storage. I don't mean for a towel or coat hung on the faucets, but for actual storage. We don't use our indoor shower, relying instead on the outdoor one or getting to an RV park from time to time and using the facilities we paid for. Has anyone converted their shower into organized storage? If so, I'd like to hear about it.
Don
Don

This is what we have done in our T2499 and T310SR. We take it out in the summer and use it in the winter when the shower is not in use or when we need more storage space. Like when the grand kids come along.

To see more on how I did this, see this post T2499 and T310SR BathRoom Mod's

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:30 PM   #10

SUN #570
Chickadee
Don I had to laugh when I read your post. I just came back from our weekend getaway armed with the measurements of our shower. I thought I would look for one of those wire coated self standing shelf units We never use our shower ( I clean enough bathrooms at home) and it seems like such a big waste of space.

John You have some great ideas! Especially the broom and bag holder. Isn't it funny that a broom is such a necessity and RV companies never had a provision for them.

Norm I saw your mods. What a lot of work you've done. I like the bookshelf idea over the windows. Did you velcro or screw them to the wall?

Deb
Old 05-12-2008, 04:08 PM   #11

SUN #292
Little Book Shelves

They are screwed down to the valences.

I have added a total of nine of those little shelves. As the rig gets smaller it seems important to have specific places for everything, particularly because we'll be on the road for the next two months. Even more so in a small rig.

Norm Milliard
Old 05-12-2008, 06:54 PM   #12

SUN #170
heaton
2553 storage

Deb,

I have watched your post about storage because we have a 2553. Lots of great ideas! We have had our Sunline for three years and still seem to find better ways to store things. We use a spring tension shower curtain rod for towels, wet bathing suits etc. in the shower. The neatest spot in our 2553 is under the dinette seat by the door. If you remove the four screws from the plywood under the cushion there is a space behind the drawer. Its a good spot for things not used often or valuables for a short period of time if your concerned about leaving your wallet while you go to the beach? Keep sending the ideas!

Heaton
Old 05-12-2008, 07:31 PM   #13

SUN #139
Al in PA
Heaton:

I noticed the wasted space under the dinette bench also. Our 2051 has fewer cabinets than the 2553, but they are larger so we used the space more efficiently. Deb likes the drawers under the bed, but they take up a lot of space where I would have stored larger items in the 2051. Likewise, the drawer under the dinette bench doesn't allow for very large or long items: I liked the cabinet door in this location on the 2051. When our daughters or friends go with us, there never seems to be a convenient place for their duffel bags and shoes. Like the rest of you, we're still trying to figure out an efficient use of the space.
2007 T-2553
2003 Silverado 1500
Al in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:31 AM   #14

SUN #21
donreitz
The easiest way to increase storage is to not bring too much stuff. This is particularly true now that we're paying $4/gallon of fuel to haul it around. How much do we really need? There are plenty of things we carry with us that aren't strictly necessary (do we really need a 10" AND a 12" skillet?, how many extra coffee cups do we actually need?). I don't mean deliberately skimping, but rather being realistic about what is necessary when you're living in a small space. My wife and I periodically go through our things and remove those items we haven't used or aren't likely to use. It's amazing how much extra stuff accumulates even when you're trying to keep collecting things to a minimum. In this regard, the Camping World catalog is evil.
Don
donreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:15 PM   #15

SUN #660
rmstack
Quote:
Originally Posted by donreitz
The easiest way to increase storage is to not bring too much stuff. This is particularly true now that we're paying $4/gallon of fuel to haul it around. How much do we really need? There are plenty of things we carry with us that aren't strictly necessary (do we really need a 10" AND a 12" skillet?, how many extra coffee cups do we actually need?). I don't mean deliberately skimping, but rather being realistic about what is necessary when you're living in a small space. My wife and I periodically go through our things and remove those items we haven't used or aren't likely to use. It's amazing how much extra stuff accumulates even when you're trying to keep collecting things to a minimum. In this regard, the Camping World catalog is evil.
Don
Great idea, Dan! I'll need to get rid of things not needed or used in a while. I'll have to start on that tomorrow. I do have a storage container at the house where I keep fall/Halloween items as I only need those items in October. So I can do the same with other items in the camper that we have not used.

Some solutions can be so simple!
Old 07-29-2008, 05:24 AM   #16

SUN #292
Ditto

I agree with minimizing what you carry. We thought we had shruken what we needed when we moved into our motorhome.

When we bought the 1982 15.5 Sunline we wondered 'how we'd get it all in" and discovered we needed a lot less. On our trip to Labrador we actually had empty cabinets.

One thing RV has taught me is how little we really need to live happily and an RV is a wonderful home with out so much unnecessary stuff.

Norm Milliard