Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-06-2018, 07:35 PM   #1

SUN #11015
bekoobe is an unknown quantity at this point
what gage wire for the extension cord?

Recently purchased 1998 T2363. Would like to know what gage wire I need to buy to go from my garage to the trailer?

Old 12-07-2018, 06:24 AM   #2

SUN #2366
j52wf is an unknown quantity at this point
You can get by with a standard 16 or 14 ga. cord if you're only running converter to keep battery charged, and to run low draw items such as lights, water pump, furnace, and fridge (on propane). Do not use high draw items such as air conditioner, microwave, electric hot water heater, or any portable electric heaters. Best bet is a heavy duty extension cord, which is 12 or 10 ga. I still would not attempt to use air conditioner on any extension cord. A very real fire hazard! I just keep a battery tender hooked to the battery all winter. This way all the high draw 120v stuff is offline anyway. Only the 12v stuff is available. Length of cord is also an issue. The longer the cord, the heavier it must be. Try to keep it under 50'. There are some you tube videos on extension cord safety with RVs.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:28 AM   #3

SUN #2366
j52wf is an unknown quantity at this point
If you use the battery tender method, make sure it is protected from the elements.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:26 AM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
The camper cord is a #10 wire rated 30 amps it's length is about max for full load AC, heater etc. If you are just running a small charger the load is minimal so any quality extension would work but that would not be enough for any 120 volt stuff in the camper due to the voltage drop, as voltage drops current climbs.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:23 PM   #5

SUN #11015
Quote:
Originally Posted by j52wf View Post
You can get by with a standard 16 or 14 ga. cord if you're only running converter to keep battery charged, and to run low draw items such as lights, water pump, furnace, and fridge (on propane). Do not use high draw items such as air conditioner, microwave, electric hot water heater, or any portable electric heaters. Best bet is a heavy duty extension cord, which is 12 or 10 ga. I still would not attempt to use air conditioner on any extension cord. A very real fire hazard! I just keep a battery tender hooked to the battery all winter. This way all the high draw 120v stuff is offline anyway. Only the 12v stuff is available. Length of cord is also an issue. The longer the cord, the heavier it must be. Try to keep it under 50'. There are some you tube videos on extension cord safety with RVs.
Thankyou for your help.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:24 PM   #6

SUN #11015
Thank you.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:05 PM   #7

SUN #2097
Remember you are adding length to an existing cord so a 50' cord extension now becomes 75'
Old 12-19-2018, 05:41 PM   #8

SUN #6579
Relie is an unknown quantity at this point
Wire guage

I pull the battery out of mine for the winter, place it in the garage and put a charger/maintainer on it. Done this forever and no problems.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:29 AM   #9

SUN #2097
I put the entire trailer in the barn and plug it into drop down outlet next to the trailer and charge both batteries! When I built the garage I made one roll up door 12X10 figuring I might need it for something big.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #10

SUN #8893
Thomascine is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
I put the entire trailer in the barn and plug it into drop down outlet next to the trailer and charge both batteries! When I built the garage I made one roll up door 12X10 figuring I might need it for something big.
My garage door is so small, I couldn't even get my Ford Escape through it. Tried backing it in once and had to fold the mirrors in.