Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-19-2014, 11:27 AM   #1

SUN #6115
missizlove is an unknown quantity at this point
We just bought a 1993 Sunline T1740

Hello to all. My husband and I just bought a Sunline T1740 but we won't be picking it up until the end of April (too much snow on the driveway, and we live in military housing, need permission to park it here).

This will be our first travel trailer together and it will be nice to be off the ground! Our tent has seen better days!

I do have a question, and I'm not sure if any other t1740 owners would know this off hand.... the previous owners had removed the original cushions on the lounge and had replaced it with a mattress. We want to restore this to a pull out lounge so we can have a bit more space and a seating area during the day, but don't know the dimensions of the original cushions. Does anyone happen to know this? Was it originally two pieces or three?

We might just have to wait until we get it here to measure it out and fabricate it, but it would be nice to have an idea ahead of time so I can work on it... Any ideas?

Old 03-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
We just bought a 1993 Sunline T1740

I don't have dimensions, but someone else probably can.

The original design used about 4" thick foam, like your dinette cushions. It would have been a three cushion design, the extra cushion stored behind the back, to space you away from the window and curtains.

Since you have to get new foam, I'd recommend visiting an upholstery shop. The standard foam at like JoAnn Fabrics is very light and airy, because it's cheap. They wouldn't sell any otherwise because it's already so expensive. Good foam does cost a lot, but it's worth it. You can get more of a closed cell foam that can hold/cushion more weight than JoAnn stuff. This way, you won't bottom out on the seat board below when you sit down. Talk to the upholstery shop to get their recommendation for what type of foam will work best for both a couch sitting/back cushion but also practical for a bed application.

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:29 PM   #3

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
I think it is the same as a T1700 I can measure mine if you like. The back rest one has a small piece attached to it that allows it to sit up above the lower one.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #4

SUN #6115
If your lounge folds out to a double sized bed and it isn't too much trouble, those measurements would be great! Thanks!
Old 03-21-2014, 06:12 PM   #5

SUN #2097
Well it kind of slides out it's a gaucho couch but it is a double bed. There are three sections they are all 74" long one is 16" the other is 22" and the little one is 8" The 8" section is attached to the 16" and folds under to allow the lower one to fit under. Picture is worth a 1,000 words. I would think it would be all right to make the shorter one 8" wider.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3407 (1024x768).jpg (87.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3408 (1024x768).jpg (79.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 03-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #6

SUN #6115
Thank you so much, that clears things up for me! We went to the dealer today to put a bit more money down and took another look at the empty seat and I was trying to figure out a good solution, but you saved me a lot of grief! Now I hope they fix the leak we saw dripping from the ceiling (yikes), but that's another story... We drew it to his attention and he said they'd fix it, sooooo......

Thanks again!
Old 03-22-2014, 07:22 AM   #7

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by missizlove View Post
Now I hope they fix the leak we saw dripping from the ceiling (yikes), but that's another story... We drew it to his attention and he said they'd fix it, sooooo......

Thanks again!
Hi Missi,

Just trying to help here. This could be simple or not. Dripping from the ceiling and the dealer said they would fix it...

We don't know all the back ground on this, this is just a friendly heads up from a fellow Sunliner, if water is dripping from the ceiling, that may mean the insulation above the ceiling is wet. And if it is, that is a problem.

Stopping the leak up on the roof is a must, they may do this. Checking inside the ceiling for wet insulation and then removing the ceiling to correct, they may not do that.

Not trying to get you alarmed, just heads up if that leak has been on going for some time, weeks/months or worse years this can be a large rebuild project.

Do you know any more about the leak? Did you see water stains anywhere? Did it smell damp/musty?

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #8

SUN #6115
I was really worried about the leak too (still am). I didn't see any moldy spots, and it didn't smell overly musty, just like a trailer that has been shut up for a while. The leak is in the area over the sink, especially in the cupboard over the sink, dripping down from the electrical outlet and a little leaking from the area around the air conditioner. It seems like it was a new leak, but I let him know that the ceiling felt a bit mushy in the area inside the cabinet, as if the water is accumulating. I am still worried that they might fix the leak but there will be mold left over and the structure will be compromised. I don't know if we can get out of the deal though. We have paid most of it off and the papers are signed...
Old 03-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #9

SUN #5367
FiveORacing is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, please inspect it carefully. If they are just going to stop the leak on top and water test it, that doesn't mean there are not lingering problems. If they are taking anything apart ask to see the damage before they cover it up again. I bought a Sunline last year that had hidden water damage. I didn't see any mold or rot until I got inside the wall. I was able to repair it, but it was easily accessible without tearing out appliances and cabinets. Yours may be fine, but wet insulation and wood doesn't really ever dry out. See if you can access the areas and inspect behind the paneling.

I posted a thread here on the repairs I had to make. It was quite a job, even though it was a relatively easy area to get to. If you do look at , my apologies for the angry rant I went on first.

Good luck, hope it all works out and you really love it.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...ade-14995.html
Old 03-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #10

SUN #6115
Since the shop is closed today, I left them a polite email asking them to ensure that the leak is fixed and the insulation and wood in the ceiling is dry. I understand that it is an older trailer, but they assured us at the beginning that the trailer would be in good condition. We specifically asked them at that time if there was any leakage or if the roof was in good condition and they said they would ensure it would be inspected and any issues would be repaired, so I'm just (politely) asking them to keep their end of the deal. I hope it all works out. Please guys and dolls, keep your fingers crossed for us.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:28 PM   #11

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
My advice to anyone looking at a TT is get a moisture meter and check the underbelly framework. If its wet the leak is allot worse than it appears.
Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #12

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
The smell of a Sunline being closed up for a while will smell like wood. I mean, go stick your head in a kitchen cabinet. Something like that, but Sunlines do have a distinct smell.

If it's the slightest bit musty smelling, you have extensive rot.

Water dripping is NEVER good, and that doesn't happen until there's already a lot of damage. A dealer willing to fix it will simply stop it from leaking. I highly doubt they'd fix the damage already done.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #13

SUN #5653
Mylyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Good Luck! hope it all works out for you, I am also new to a Sunline and cant wait to use it this year, Just had to fix a soft spot on the floor and replace a HW heater otherwise its in great shape for an '85. I have been giving it the occasional sniff throughput the winter so far so good. Keep us posted
Mylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #14

SUN #2097
Don't know about you all in QC but if mine was outside it would have close to 4' of snow on it and if it did not leak it probable would float too. Maybe take a light or two out and have a look with a mirror. The A/C gasket is suspect water will run both directions across the ceiling panels. I guess make the dealer responsible for any problem later on.