Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #1

SUN #2530
PotterBound is an unknown quantity at this point
water heater not lighting

I am having trouble lighting my water heater in my 86' Satallite. I can get the pilot light to take, but when I switch over to the "on" position to ignite.... it back flashes and catches on fire at the flame adjustment part. Could this be simply spider webs or bees nest in the ignition tube? Or is it in need of adjustment? I am fairly new to trouble shooting an LP water heater.

Thanks in advance!
Aaron

In tow - 1986 Sunline Satillite 19', in almost mint condition
PotterBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:42 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
That sure sounds like something built a nest somewhere along the flame path. The easiest place to look first is the burner tube then the flame tube through the water heater itself. A blast of air from a compressor may help and then a long flexible bottle brush through the flame tube.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #3

SUN #2530
PotterBound is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
That sure sounds like something built a nest somewhere along the flame path. The easiest place to look first is the burner tube then the flame tube through the water heater itself. A blast of air from a compressor may help and then a long flexible bottle brush through the flame tube.
Thanks I will try that out! I actually found that the pilot light feed line was cracked at the fitting closest to the pilot area, so I will have to get a replacement for that first, and fingers crossed that it is what was causing the back flash. But if not I will go about checking there. The heating unit had some wasp nests and other stuff, so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

In tow - 1986 Sunline Satillite 19', in almost mint condition
PotterBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #4

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, the crack in the feed line is probably the main suspect so, as you said, that would be first on the list.

Let us know how you make out.

Gene

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #5

SUN #2821
bodatiouskid is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 1995 T2251 doing the same thing.You light it & flame backfires through the adjustment tube & black smoke comes out of exhaust.