Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-09-2008, 11:25 AM   #1

SUN #168
wobbly
Voyager AM/FM/CD Player

Our T-1950's Audiovox Voyager wallmount AM/FM/CD player has rather poor radio reception. Only recently did it dawn on me that the roof mount antenna should be raised for better AM reception. The manual shows connections for a FM antenna. Did the factory connect a FM antenna?
I could take the unit out and find out for myself, but I'm lazy.

Any suggestions for an improved FM antenna?

Old 11-09-2008, 08:12 PM   #2

SUN #307
purplesuebug
The Voyager we got in our 195SR was terrible. It had some sort of short in it where you never knew what volume you was going to end up with. The radio reception was .....................well it wasn't. I finally replaced the unit with a Jensen AMW 960. Man, was I a happy camper. I can get so many radio stations even when nobody else can. I did not do anything with the antenna, in fact, it still lays at a 45 degree angle. The DVD is excellent. The only downfall I have found is the blue LED display is so freaking bright. It makes a heck of a night light so I bought some window tint and cut a piece to fit over the display. Now it is just about right. The plug fits right into the voyager plug so there is no re-wiring needed. I am so glad I went ahead and replaced my voyager....................Marshall

purplesuebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #3

SUN #168
wobbly
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesuebug
The Voyager we got in our 195SR was terrible. It had some sort of short in it where you never knew what volume you was going to end up with. The radio reception was .....................well it wasn't. I finally replaced the unit with a Jensen AMW 960. Man, was I a happy camper. I can get so many radio stations even when nobody else can. I did not do anything with the antenna, in fact, it still lays at a 45 degree angle. The DVD is excellent. The only downfall I have found is the blue LED display is so freaking bright. It makes a heck of a night light so I bought some window tint and cut a piece to fit over the display. Now it is just about right. The plug fits right into the voyager plug so there is no re-wiring needed. I am so glad I went ahead and replaced my voyager....................Marshall
Looks like the Jensen is made by the same company that makes the Voyager AWM900: ASA. Looks like it fits in the same hole as the Voyager The description of the AWM-960 says "Designed with modern blue backlit controls, auto-dimming blue display and alarm clock". Sounds like the auto-dim isn't working for you.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:25 AM   #4

SUN #307
purplesuebug
The auto dim is working fine. When it is on, the blue display is really really bright and it does dim quite a bit when you turn it off. But in the dark woods, you can still see well enough in the camper to walk around with just the display. It is bright.....................alot brighter than I like but others may like the soft glow of a blue blanket of light. I still love the Jenson and would still have chosen it as my replacement for the Voyager even if I had known about the blue glow. Ane yes..............they are both made by the same company but I think they worked out all the bugs with the Voyager. It is a little expensive but I feel it was worth the extra money............Marshall
purplesuebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #5

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Where we camp, usually there is very little FM reception. I installed a cradle for my vehicles Sirius satellite receiver. Now I have many stations and rarely even try to use the tuner on the voyager other than the frequency for the Sirius receiver. The only other thing I use on the Voyager is the Ipod connection.
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #6

SUN #168
wobbly
The latest Jensen wall mount player is the AWM970. It's available from ASA's
internet store: http://www.kingstonmobile.com/
It sells for $199 including a remote control. Some other web sites peddle it for more than $400. An optional waterproof remote is available, just in case your Sunline came with the hot tub option like ours did.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:33 AM   #7

SUN #168
wobbly
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly
It sells for $199 including a remote control. Some other web sites peddle it for more than $400. ....
:
These have been showing up on EBAY with and without remotes.
Usually they are new units pulled from RVs.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:15 PM   #8

SUN #168
wobbly
Quote:
Quote:
It sells for $199 including a remote control. Some other web sites peddle it for more than $400. ....
:
These have been showing up on EBAY with and without remotes.
Usually they are new units pulled from RVs.
They unit I "won" on EBAY ate the first CD I inserted, and then all functions stopped working. Caveat emptor , nullum gratuitum prandium, et cetera.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:37 PM   #9

SUN #385
Hematite
The Voyager in my Sunline works pretty well. Maybe it's a different model or year? My antenna is almost down to the roof and it still works well.

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:17 PM   #10

SUN #168
wobbly
It was a "pull" from a new RV according to the seller. Perhaps it was pulled because it didn't work right. The seller is sending me a replacement that is also a "pull". I'll try it with a CD that I'm not too fond of in case it swallows it like the last unit.

It is a direct fit, including the connectors.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:36 PM   #11

SUN #168
wobbly
Quote:
It was a "pull" from a new RV according to the seller. Perhaps it was pulled because it didn't work right. The seller is sending me a replacement that is also a "pull". I'll try it with a CD that I'm not too fond of in case it swallows it like the last unit.

It is a direct fit, including the connectors.
The replacement works great. Much better CD/DVD playing mechanism than the vertical style of the earlier Voyager.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:52 PM   #12

SUN #418
BuddyRay
No Problems here

We bought our 1950 used (but gently used for only about 6 months). Our Voyager works great. In fact it pulls in almost too many stations - makes it hard to find the one you want.

However. the previous owner didn't pass on the remote. I didn't even realize it needed one until I brought my Laptop (which is also my TV/DVD player and has a remote) into the camper. Every time I changed the TV Channel the Voyager came on. Took me a few times to realize it was reacting to the TV remote. Now I wonder if I can find a used remote on E-bay. Just the remote.

2004 Solaris 1950
2004 Ford Explorer V8
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #13

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: No Problems here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay
We bought our 1950 used (but gently used for only about 6 months). Our Voyager works great. In fact it pulls in almost too many stations - makes it hard to find the one you want.

However. the previous owner didn't pass on the remote. I didn't even realize it needed one until I brought my Laptop (which is also my TV/DVD player and has a remote) into the camper. Every time I changed the TV Channel the Voyager came on. Took me a few times to realize it was reacting to the TV remote. Now I wonder if I can find a used remote on E-bay. Just the remote.
Hi Buddy,

To the best of my knowledge, even though the Voyagers have remote capability, one was never included with the coaches.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:43 AM   #14

SUN #481
clueless campers is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi BuddyRay,

Others have had problems with the radio reacting to the tv remote. They have "fixed" the problem by putting electrical tape over the front of the radio. If you check out the "It's officially ours" thread in the Sunline Community forum it's talked about. Scroll down to the 7th post in that thread. The 9th post has a picture showing where to put the tape.
clueless campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:24 PM   #15

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi BuddyRay

Here is where the black tape goes. There is a deep purple spot there

Kitty tipped me off on this. My prior analog TV remote never bothered the radio but the new digital one does. And even the black tape on mine does not 100% cure it. It seems different brands have had different success levels with the black tape. Don’t be surprised if your chance the TV channel and all of a sudden the radio comes on a 3/4 blast

I will try adding a few extra pieces of tape and see it that helps.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #16

SUN #385
Hematite
John,
Thanks for showing the picture of the problem area. The previous TV controller never had an effect on the radio but the current one does.

I took a gasket cutter punch and made a nice neat dot of black electrical tape to put over the area. Looks nice, works perfect from the sofa but only marginally from the swivel rocker. A bigger dot would obscure the Time Set letters so it is good enough as is.

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:59 PM   #17

SUN #418
BuddyRay
I think the problem is that the sensor for the IR is actually back behind the smoked plastic face plate by an 1/8 of an inch or so. So when you put tape over the right spot on the plastic faceplate, there is still room for Infra Red Light to slip around the sides, under the tape, and hit the sensor. This is especially true if you are at an angle to the radio and not straight on. Cover a larger area with tape and it works better.

2004 Solaris 1950
2004 Ford Explorer V8
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote