Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-18-2015, 03:48 PM   #1

SUN #6738
Campnut is an unknown quantity at this point
Tongue height

I got a new to me tow vehicle And I was wondering what best height of the ball should be to tow the 1150. Right now I am measuring 19 inches to the base of the ball and it seams a little high.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:30 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
The "best" height to tow your camper is, the camper is level when towing.

How to determine level? There are many ways and each may give a slightly different out come.

The camper siding, put a level on it and check in a few places. Take the happy medium.

Inside the camper on the floor. Start in the middle of the camper front to back and try there. See if it agrees with the siding.

The camper metal frame. This too works under the main camper. The longer the camper the more bow there will be in the frame.

All 3 methods may agree or disagree. The siding and floor inside over the axle may be your more practical choice. Longer campers have more variation then small ones, (generally speaking)

One of the most inaccurate places which can be, is the camper A frame. The A frame is welded to the main camper frame and there may be error in attaching it. It is not uncommon to have the A frame go up hill or down hill some small amount in relation to the main camper. And then some are dead on true with the main frame. You really will not know unless you verify it with the main camper.

Once you find your happy medium declared "level", (using a level hard surface) then measure from the ground up to the inside of the ball coupler. That is your declared ball height to tow level.

Also once you have the declared level, measure from the top of the A frame to the ground (again on a level hard surface) as a reference point to establish level. Then when you are hooked up, check that spot and you can tell if you are nose high or nose low and by how much. It is harder to measure ball height once you are hitched.

The next step on the truck then is to get a drop or rise shank or drawbar that once the truck squats and WD is setup if you are using a WD hitch, that the camper is as close to level as practical.

Most TT's often tow more stable being slight nose down verses being nose high if you cannot get level with your adjustable hitch. 1/4" high is not a problem. 3/4 to 1" high, you can do a lot better. Same goes for low.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:33 PM   #3

SUN #6738
Campnut is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks John, level makes sense. On my other tv pulling a pop up I had to use a rise and that's what I was using on the new tv. Looks like I have some checking level and using a drop.

Can't wait only a month to go till first outing of the season.
Campnut is offline   Reply With Quote