Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #1

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
tank gauges

I am in the process of repairing some water damage in my T1700 but that is another story however I had to remove several of the clips that hold the black and gray water tanks on. The tanks are very shallow just long does any one know of a company that makes level gauges for tanks that flat I know See Level sensors only go as small as 5" deep. So far I just empty the tanks when I run out of fresh water so maybe that is what Sunline intended because it has no gauges.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #2

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
The level lights on the monitor are rarely correct because of soap and such causing a false readout most of the time. When the fresh water tank is empty I drain the holding tanks. I guess you can't get around it.

I did just buy some liquid where you add 4oz to the tanks to clean the sensors. It worked but if I have to treat every tank it could get expensive.

2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:00 AM   #3

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
For the SeeLevel sensors, is 5 inches the shortest the sensor strip can be trimmed? I thought I saw where they can only be trimmed for 6" length and that would mean a 7 inch tall tank, atleast. SeeLevels sound good for something that is in a protected area like the freshwater tank but something that is out in the weather like the black and gray tanks I would always worry about the sensor falling off. Maybe they wouldn't but I'd still think about it.

There might be other external style sensors that are not limited by tank depth. I think I saw one that had four seperate stickon sensors and they could be staggered to fit any depth tank, I think.

For me, in the end the best solution is to keep an eye on tank levels as well as I can without relying on sensors. If I have to worry anyway then I'll worry productively, LOL!

If you do install a new system do post about it, with pictures.

jim

Edited to add: If the SeeLevel can be trimmed to 5" there might be enough room if they are mounted by the drain opening. I never did see how much of an angle they could be installed so that might allow for even shallower tanks.
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bev-2363 View Post
For the SeeLevel sensors, is 5 inches the shortest the sensor strip can be trimmed? I thought I saw where they can only be trimmed for 6" length and that would mean a 7 inch tall tank, atleast. SeeLevels sound good for something that is in a protected area like the freshwater tank but something that is out in the weather like the black and gray tanks I would always worry about the sensor falling off. Maybe they wouldn't but I'd still think about it.

There might be other external style sensors that are not limited by tank depth. I think I saw one that had four seperate stickon sensors and they could be staggered to fit any depth tank, I think.

For me, in the end the best solution is to keep an eye on tank levels as well as I can without relying on sensors. If I have to worry anyway then I'll worry productively, LOL!

If you do install a new system do post about it, with pictures.

jim

Edited to add: If the SeeLevel can be trimmed to 5" there might be enough room if they are mounted by the drain opening. I never did see how much of an angle they could be installed so that might allow for even shallower tanks.
See level makes a 5" sensor just for shallow tanks but mine are even shallower then that it never had any kind of gauges and I'm pretty sure it never will. As far as the See Level sensors I had a set on my little Toyota MH and I have nothing but high regard for both the quality and the company. Mine where right out in the weather See Level said once they are in place cover them with automotive under coat I can tell you the glue was ulta sticky and you had better be sure that's where you want the sensor before you press it down. They worked flawlessly and were extremely accurate I could account for just about every drop of water I used. I'm sure it's time to dump at least the gray tank after using all the fresh water and maybe the black the second go around. The tanks are very flat and full width across the back of the camper and fit inside the frame work. I'm doing work on some rotted framing and I have to get back under it I'll measure the tanks but I would say they are less then 4" deep.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #5

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks about the undercoat tip. Makes sense to protect the strip like that.

jim
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote